• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Difficulty Wording Things

I had a lot of trouble expressing myself. Most of the time, at least for me, it was that I literally didn't have enough language to my disposal. I started reading a lot (a lot) and doing crossword puzzles. Boy that was hard. It took forever before I could finish my first puzzle. But it tremendously helped because you're starting to see how other people put their thoughts and feelings into words. Especially things like metaphors, antonyms, etc are hard. But it's stuff you can learn and become good at.

Same here with writing, I can write great and better than I do here. I used to write technical manuals for the company and people say I was the best at it. Speaking, even when trying to describe things I know about, to people I've worked with for 20 years, all I can come up are little kid words. Thankfully they know me by now.

I had a lot of trouble expressing myself. Most of the time, at least for me, it was that I literally didn't have enough language to my disposal. I started reading a lot (a lot) and doing crossword puzzles. Boy that was hard. It took forever before I could finish my first puzzle. But it tremendously helped because you're starting to see how other people put their thoughts and feelings into words. Especially things like metaphors, antonyms, etc are hard. But it's stuff you can learn and become good at.

Can this be related with stuttering too?
Seems like my spouse also has this pattern - not enough language, which leads to stuttering.

I think it's because he feels pressured to speak english fluently (he is non english native, and people usually even subconciously look down on people who cant speak english).

Like you said, not enough language. He said that if in his mother tongue, if one word doesnt come out, he can always find another word because he has vast vocabulary on his mother tongue language. But in a foreign environment and language, he doesnt have enough language, he only knows that word. So he doesnt have any other choice other than using that word, even though the word doesnt come out from his mouth. Which leads to the need to repeat from beginning and stuttering, under the pressure.

Usually people are kind enough to wait for him, but this stuttering caused his confidence level to drop. So the anxiety/depression cycle continues..

When he is less anxious, he can do much better.

Hopefully like you said, it can be learnt and overcome. I do think if we learn more about the language, phrases, and vocab, it will get better. But it still depends on the person, whether he is willing/ready to face the problem and endure the pressure of learning (especially together with other people in a language class) or not.

Willingness to learn is very important, but it may be hard for some people with restricted interest and difficulty in adapting with new (lessons) environment.

New Threads

Top Bottom