• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dietary Cures...?

Crossbreed

Neur-D Missionary ☝️
V.I.P Member
I don't know if it is spelled out, but (if it isn't) I think that it should be.

It should be off-topic to suggest that a particular diet, regimen of vitamins or nutritional supplement (like mineral water) will cure or diminish autism.

I think that it is fair to say that such may impact co-morbid conditions (like depression, anxiety, allergies, etc.), but we who subscribe to neuro-diversity reject the paradigm that sees (basic) autism as a defect that must be "cured."

If newcomers see this prohibition, right away, they will take their "cure" somewhere else.

Dare I ask where this is coming from?

Having been to certain places, I have a bit of an idea as to where this MIGHT be coming from, but....

That being said, I do agree.

Dare I ask where this is coming from?
Some newbies come here from time-to-time, peddling such "cures" for our collective autism, if we would only drink brand "X" mineral water, etc.

A notice up front would go a long way toward discouraging that pitch.

Last edited:
I’ve been dairy free didn’t make a difference. I got ask was this because of my Autism because around the same time PETA was running an advent which said cows milk caused autism. It does not. That is not why I was dairy free. I have since been diagnosed with Coeliac Disease so can say gluten does not cause autism either.

Dairy definitely makes me more autistic. I don't see why someone shouldn't be allowed to say what helps them especially if there is scientific evidence that supports it. In my case, it's probably because it can trigger the mast cells which have been linked to autism.

"We report that the apparent prevalence of ASD in patients with mastocytosis, a rare disease occurring in 1/4,000 children and characterized by an increased number of hypersensitive mast cells in many organs, is about 1/10 or 10 times higher than the general population." Autism Spectrum Disorders and Mastocytosis - PubMed

Dairy definitely makes me more autistic.
I just found out that I might be lactose intolerant (bloating), but my [ASD1] autism has been absolutely unchanged by Lact-Aid. (Since ASD1 is not a defect, that was expected.)

Last edited:
I think discussing the possible effects a particular food or diet might have on autism is perfectly fine.

However when someone comes along claiming they found a cure for austism (or words to that effect) and starts preaching about it, I think it should be viewed as SPAM and dealt with accordingly.

New Threads

Top Bottom