• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Did everyone skip 80's nostalgia?

Lysholm

Negative Nancy
The fifties, sixties, and seventies all have well defined nostalgic markets. The Victorian era has it's devotees that wander into early Twentieth Century territory. Even Civil War reenacting is still popular.

But the eighties seem to have been skipped over by the mainstream. Actually, it seems the eighties, nineties, and aughts have coalesced into a single idea in society's collective memory. I remember in the nineties popular nostalgia for the seventies was obvious (even to my kid self), and this has never really gone away. But the eighties have never caught on, at least not by themselves. While I'm sure Gen X'ers don't want to relive the existential dread of limitless opportunities they passed up in their childhood, I don't understand why the eighties have not been adopted by these kids today or whatever.

Haven't we been in 80s nostalgia for about 20 years? It seems like it won't end. Only now are young kids dressing "grunge."

I think that every generation will experience some nostalgia for the era they grew up in. I don't think that the 80s have been skipped; on music forums, for example, I see plenty of threads reminiscing on 80s music, or about 80s culture. I also think that the 80s are a very distinct era from the 90s and 00s, as that is the decade when the digital age became really mainstream.

Vaporwave and synthwave have been a thing for at least a decade now. I'm from a different timeline I think :)

Agreed on the Synthwave/Vaporwave trend. Heck, I've posted a fair bit here with some Synthwave artworks and music by bands like The Midnight - like "Explorers" here, for which the video itself feels like a selection box/buffet of 80's nostalgia (song starts around the 0:46 mark).

Additionally, I do have Anemoia for the 1980's, despite been born in the 1990s.
Don't know if anyone else here has the same thing but for a different decade.

I think we are in 80s nostalgia right now, for the past year I have seen more 80s style clothes and colors. :D Like high waist jeans, they are back. And 80s music is popular. The 80s was a great time. I even have a 80s room, my tv room is very 80s livingroom style. I have a landline in there, that says it all.

Stranger Things, yes, @folidoe, but they haven't been playing it in the true '80s manner (cheap tapes or rabbit ear television.)
Some guy has a bunch of DeLorean parts & is trying to bring back the DeLorean.
Bell-bottoms are a thing. For some reason.
People are spending money on vinyl records & cassette-tapes. The 8-track, however, is still mostly dead.
The one thing that won't come back is probably going to be '80s cars, also known as your grandmas' Buick.

The one thing that won't come back is probably going to be '80s cars, also known as your grandmas' Buick.

American station wagons from the 80s seem to be more popular here now :D no one wanted those before. I love a good station wagon, the ones with faux wood paneling that handles like a boat.

iu

The only thing that remains nostalgic to me about the 80s would be the rise of personal computing. From DOS 3.0 to Windows 3.1. And then the slow decline in the quality of popular music.

Otherwise the 60s and 70s simply eclipse the 80s altogether, IMO.

Last edited:
The 80's are just reaching the age where they can be legitimately nostalgic...It hasn't been skipped, it just needed to wait its turn.

The only thing that remains nostalgic to me about the 80s would be the rise of personal computing. From DOS 3.0 to Windows 3.1. Otherwise the 60s and 70s simply eclipse the 80s altogether, IMO.

Yeah I wasn't there but I have heard good things about the 60s and 70s. I think it all started to go downhill in 1990. 1989 was the last year that things made sense.

70s,80s bad time for me as i wasn't sleeping 24\7 90s slightly better upto early january 97 then nightmarish so no my nostalgia is for some! music in the 1940s,60s,70,even smaller the 80s ,90s almost non existent, im two decades ahead of you ,so 70s was disco music, some folk ,
oy vey the 80s synth music (thank God for Robert Palmer
) glad i don't listen to that ,listened to depeche mode 2 days ago ,that'll be decades until i do again, no internet, so it was radio or 7" ,3 3" ,vinyl records, tape cassettes (which you could wear out )then c.ds,all not great for the coordination challenged ,painful scratching a vinyl record

Yeah, I've even seen Retro games consoles (as well as Retro games in some shape or form) on sale in shops like Menkind.

Atari Flashback 11: Atari Flashback 11 – 50th Anniversary Edition
Racing Games (Mini Arcade Machine): Mini Arcade Racing Game by Retro Arcade
Pac-Man (Mini Arcade Machine): Pac-Man Mini Arcade Game with Colour Screen
Mini Arcade Machine (200 Games): Mini Retro Arcade Machine with 200 Games
Retro Dance Mat: Retro Dance Mat
Amiga 500 Mini: The A500 Mini – Amiga 500 Games Console
Commodore 64 (Mini): C64 Mini Retro Games Console
Commodore 64 (Regular): The C64 Retro Gaming Console with Controller

The last two remind me of this. How many of you remember this song?

Huh. Maybe it's there but niche enough I don't see it.

I mean, I was alive in the eighties and have always preferred shows from that era. I just don't see that stuff represented today. Maybe my issue is everything had been retcon'd or seen through rose tinted glasses. But, from what I can observe, eighties nostalgia is an amalgamation I'd describe as Korn guest starring on Full house but live @ Ten Forward on the Enterprise.

American station wagons from the 80s seem to be more popular here now :D no one wanted those before. I love a good station wagon, the ones with faux wood paneling that handles like a boat.
This is easy to explain. Post-pandemic new and used cars were hard to find, so people bought whatever they could...which included cars no one previously wanted like eighties econoboxes and vans. All car prices shot up too, meaning a $500 beater is now a $2,000 project, lolz.

Honestly, though, I think the love for seveties, eighties, even nineties cars is a figment of people's nostalgic imagination. These things have always been slow and loose with terribly unreliable air conditioning and, compared to today's cars, drive and ride like either a logging truck or a waterbed. They don't keep the outside out and you can smell the dirt and exhaust from other cars and the road. Vacuum tubes everywhere under the hood and catalytic converters that work just the same as if you'd shoved a box of kleenex in the tail pipe. No, nobody remembers these things for what they really are. And in a time where mom's minivan has almost 400hp it boggles my mind anyone can kid themselves about coveting an '85 Country Squire - that trick tailgate gets old fast because it weighs eighty pounds.

Honestly, though, I think the love for seveties, eighties, even nineties cars is a figment of people's nostalgic imagination. These things have always been slow and loose with terribly unreliable air conditioning and, compared to today's cars, drive and ride like either a logging truck or a waterbed. They don't keep the outside out and you can smell the dirt and exhaust from other cars and the road. Vacuum tubes everywhere under the hood and catalytic converters that work just the same as if you'd shoved a box of kleenex in the tail pipe. No, nobody remembers these things for what they really are. And in a time where mom's minivan has almost 400hp it boggles my mind anyone can kid themselves about coveting an '85 Country Squire - that trick tailgate gets old fast because it weighs eighty pounds.

All those things are part of the charm, new cars are just cheap plastic and they have no soul. :) I have had and have a few old cars and I'll choose an old one over a new one any day of the week. The station wagons are so big and heavy and sometimes so ugly that it makes them cool. They have lots of soul and a 'cool factor'. They often handle like a boat and that is also part of the experience, it makes them fun. Cars should be fun. Old American cars is also a big thing here, they're special. Many people love them and import them.

Last edited:
What? Are you saying we're not still in the 80s?

Was the last time the world made sense, where conversations could be done in a really effective manner - you wrote it on paper, sent it via post and 3 days later at best you could start considering the way to respond. Even if you were a techno nerd it was the same via a bulletin board, but you still used whole words to communicate and it was an overnight job to download and upload responses.

Spotify was in existance via the medium of recording the top 40 each week off the radio then splicing your selected tracks when you used you double deck tape recorder.

Micromobility was a skateboard and a chopper, a bike solely designed to reduce the chance of over popualtion by neutering a high proportion of the worlds teenage boys via the gear knob.

And trousers were designed to allow unincumbered vision of the socks. The world went mad in the 90s and 20teens when trousers were designed to hide socks and show the underpants.

I think it is all there if you look. There are niche's for practically everything. It helps if there are very identifiable/distinct trends so some things may be easier to recreate then others. The 50's is an example as the music, clothes, hairstyles and to some extent slang is all instantly recognizable. The 60's is similar if you are going to recreate Hippie cultures. The 80's, 90's and 00's all are different and each had their fads and styles but perhaps not as different from each other as the earlier decades. Increased interconnectivity may have been a factor, but I am just guessing.

That said we have regular 80s and 90s music threads here and they are very popular.

New Threads

Top Bottom