• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Did anyone ever carry around unusual things?

Most men usually have change in their pockets. I do to, along with washers, nuts, bolts and various small parts. I do not have any reason for carrying all this stuff, but it's always there. I just always stick small discarded stuff into my pockets and it has been this way for a very long time. I get some strange looks in stores when I'm looking for change.
I do that too :D

Royinpink, I love the visuals!! My son does this too. He comes home from shopping with the most bizarre treasures in his pockets, I love it. He has gotten in the habit of giving the things he finds to the shop owners lately. One store associate paid him $1 because he found a pair of scissors they had been missing!

I always loved the sound of the formica chips on the display at my aunt's interior design shop. And I still hoard paint sample cards. I would love to have one of the Pantone color sets...
Your son sounds like a kindred spirit. He must've been so proud when he found the scissors! (I would have been, anyway.) Pantone <3

(Sorry for delayed response--took me this long to think of what I wanted to say.)

These. If accompanying my mother shopping, by the end, I would have full handfuls and pockets of random plastic crap:

shirt-clips.jpg

2009531175112.jpg

sock hangers
zip-ties.jpg

zip ties
cpf-1-090521113302.jpg

91AzVuSAk%2BL._SX425_.jpg

BigTaggers.gif

tag fasteners

There were probably other things. Rocks and stones, as you mention. A rabbit's foot. I forget what all.

ETA: I almost forgot! Formica and paint samples. Mesmerizing.

colors1.jpg

Paint-Chips.jpg

Wow, royinpink, I had no idea there were so many different types and varieties of plastic tags and hangy things! :) And, I actually carry some different paint chips on a keyring - I heard about some people on the spectrum having them, so the next time I went to a Home Depot, I picked out a bunch of colors I liked, cut them into circles, punched holes in each one, and attached them to a keyring! :) And attached to the keyring is a keychain of Diddl, the cartoon mouse from Germany. :D

Wow, royinpink, I had no idea there were so many different types and varieties of plastic tags and hangy things! :) And, I actually carry some different paint chips on a keyring - I heard about some people on the spectrum having them, so the next time I went to a Home Depot, I picked out a bunch of colors I liked, cut them into circles, punched holes in each one, and attached them to a keyring! :) And attached to the keyring is a keychain of Diddl, the cartoon mouse from Germany. :D
I never knew people on the spectrum were known to have a paintchip keyring. Where'd you find that out?

I never knew people on the spectrum were known to have a paintchip keyring. Where'd you find that out?

I first heard about them in this book called The Social Success Workbook for Teens: The Social Success Workbook for Teens: Skill-Building Activities for Teens with Nonverbal Learning Disorder, Asperger's Disorder, and Other Social-Skill Problems (An Instant Help Book for Teens): Barbara Cooper MPS, Nancy Widdows MS: 9781572246140: Amazon.com: Books

At one point, it talks about how some folks select different colors from their array of paint chips in order to identify/communicate how they are feeling when they don't quite have the words to describe it. I think some Special Education classrooms use them, as well. I thought this sounded like a good idea after reading about it, so I made one of my own - although, I don't use my paint chips to communicate my emotions so much as I just chose colors that I like looking at or identify with. :)

At WinCo (or maybe other grocery stores) when you pour out the candy into plastic bags and you have to tie them with those paper-looking ties, I would just take a bunch of them because I loved the red and blue stripe that goes down each of them. I would just carry them with me because they were just wonderful.

I didn't grow out of my baby doll until about age 9. (Step dad threw her away :(
For a while, I had a green and white marble egg that I was convinced was going to hatch into Yoshi.
I collected dice and carried them for a while.
I also never missed picking up coins no matter where I went, so I always

Attachments

• 1424892883197.jpg
    1424892883197.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 237
I used to carry tiny bibles, or really, just tiny version of anything. Mostly though, I would carry around a cologne bottle modeled after the Goodyear blimp. I was, and still am obsessed with blimps, or airships in general.

I always carried a crossword puzzle book, a notebook and a pen I'm case I saw something, thought of something interesting or wanted to draw and I still do. Ever since I was a little girl.

I carry around this, a miniature oboe bell made out of rejected grenadilla wood. My preferred method of stimming is to rub my thumb into the little "bowl" indentation on the bottom; it's nearly invisible, which proves handy in situations such as being in public and at work.

ETA: Oops! Forgot to upload the file!
Photo on 2-25-15 at 3.08 PM.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't grow out of my baby doll until about age 9. (Step dad threw her away :(
For a while, I had a green and white marble egg that I was convinced was going to hatch into Yoshi.
I collected dice and carried them for a while.
I also never missed picking up coins no matter where I went, so I always

I have one of those "keyring/bike chain" fidgets too, JessH0601! :) They're awesome.

Nothing I consider unusual, a pocket knife, slingshot and keys, maybe junk I found laying around outside.

In my car I have a blob of Blutak. The stuff you use to stick posters onto walls.
It has been squished into a perfect cube.
Don't touch my blutak. Don't squish it into another shape. It's a cube, okay?

I first heard about them in this book called The Social Success Workbook for Teens: The Social Success Workbook for Teens: Skill-Building Activities for Teens with Nonverbal Learning Disorder, Asperger's Disorder, and Other Social-Skill Problems (An Instant Help Book for Teens): Barbara Cooper MPS, Nancy Widdows MS: 9781572246140: Amazon.com: Books

At one point, it talks about how some folks select different colors from their array of paint chips in order to identify/communicate how they are feeling when they don't quite have the words to describe it. I think some Special Education classrooms use them, as well. I thought this sounded like a good idea after reading about it, so I made one of my own - although, I don't use my paint chips to communicate my emotions so much as I just chose colors that I like looking at or identify with. :)
Oh, I see. That makes a lot more sense than what I was imagining, which was just like a tendency for people to collect paint chip keyrings. ;)

I used to carry and take to bed with me a crystal salt shaker and a green metal night light, age about 5

I had to have a button in my mouth for a year after giving up smoking

Hi, this is my first post on this forum. Anyway I used to carry around a favourite book. Usually something that adults thought was far to advanced for my age. I loved the crisp paper and smell of a new book and it would accompany me everywhere; often not being read at all. I also collected things I found such as fossils and small stones that I found attractive. In fact I still do this! I loved picking up colour paint charts from shops and studying all the colours avidly.

I carry tons of stuff with me all the time. Cannot go anywhere without it all.

Give me a few minutes and I will snap a pic of it all on my desk.

Okay, here we go... Lets play a game of identify the stuff I carry with me all the time.
full

The three items in the lower right corner goes in my pockets. The rest goes in my purse.

Feathers, rocks, shells. While out walking i frequently stop to examine or pick up something that looks interesting, probably to the confusion of anyone with me. i seem to be fairly good at seeing camouflaged animals or objects (but horrible at recognizing people - ha!). Many years ago i found a beautiful arrowhead while walking on a beach covered in stones with the same general shape and color. It is my most treasured item.

New Threads

Top Bottom