• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Depression and doing nothing

Bah, that wasnt supposed to display the entire freaking video in the post. I wanted that to just appear as a link. I apologize for my lack of knowledge here on how to do that.

I really hate it when sites try to automatically do "helpful" things like that with no input from the user.

I am glad that gaming had such great results for you. It does not do as well for a lot of people, however. Many people do become addicted to it in a harmful way. It might be more considerate not to so aggressively recommend it as a panacea on a site like this frequented by a lot of people who already have problems with OCD.

Maybe tell people this on a site for people who are already gamers?

Bah, that wasnt supposed to display the entire freaking video in the post. I wanted that to just appear as a link. I apologize for my lack of knowledge here on how to do that.

I really hate it when sites try to automatically do "helpful" things like that with no input from the user.

It is ok. If you are that good at gaming you will get the hang of how to do things here in no time.

If you like games you could try board games or card games or maybe even war gaming. They get you away from screens and are a good structured social time.

I am glad that gaming had such great results for you. It does not do as well for a lot of people, however. Many people do become addicted to it in a harmful way. It might be more considerate not to so aggressively recommend it as a panacea on a site like this frequented by a lot of people who already have problems with OCD.

Maybe tell people this on a site for people who are already gamers?

I've met quite a number of autistic individuals who are really into gaming, and actually not even one of them has had this problem. And if one of them was the type to have it, well... considering the nature of autism and whatnot, it would *not* be restricted to gaming. That sort of person would very likely simply get addicted like that to whatever they latch onto as a special interest, no matter what it happens to be. I've heard of that one happening many times. Even something like getting super addicted to books, which is something that doesnt sound like it even makes sense.

Most, though, do it in moderation, as I do. Even for us here, we're generally not THAT bad at controlling our hobbies.

As for the really negative effects, it's true that they happen, but they're muuuuuch more rare than you might think. The problem: people TALK about the negative bits all the time. They talk about the positive bits extremely rarely, which is where most of this misconception comes from. I mean, well, you know how people are. People get like this about ANY topic that they dont quite understand, spotting only the bad and ignoring even the potential for good. So you always hear about the addicts, you hear about the angry screaming kids in online games, you hear about people raging out at other players... but there's tons of good stuff that happens, yet THOSE things never get talked about, because there's no spectacle to them.

Which is a huge part of why I usually go into such detail about it, to simply help teach that it really isnt quite what alot of people make it out to be. It's true that not everyone gets amazing things out of a hobby like this. However, most will get SOMETHING out of it. A great many will get a chance to make real friends this way, for instance. Lasting friends. That, alone, is well worth the time spent. It also gets the player thinking, and exercises them mentally. Games as a whole usually arent as braindead as the ones that the media typically likes to show off the most often. Hell, LOTS of players end up getting better at things like math, logic, planning, stuff like that, because in order to do well, they *must* get better at those things. And lastly, it almost always increases familiarity with computers and related technology in general, particularly when PC gaming is involved. Even learning to repair the bloody things is often a necessary skill. Hell, it's the reason why I'm good with computers, too. Those are traits that absolutely anyone can get from this, and very commonly. I've never met another gamer that HASNT gotten some of that stuff out of it.

If you like games you could try board games or card games or maybe even war gaming. They get you away from screens and are a good structured social time.

Honestly I'd love to. But nobody I know cares about that sort of thing. My area is sort of.... middle of bloody nowhere, so there arent even any stores around here that carry such things. I love board games for instance but I cant even remember the last time I had a chance to do one. It just doesnt happen here. Believe me, it's frustrating. Most people around my area just.... watch TV. It's not exactly the most exciting region.

When it comes to non-computer hobbies, I fly drones. Recent thing. Also have twisty puzzles (think Rubik's Cubes, except more absurd and more difficult). I agree that it's good to get away from these bloody machines sometimes. PARTICULARLY for those that actually work with computers as part of their job/career.

I've met quite a number of autistic individuals who are really into gaming, and actually not even one of them has had this problem. And if one of them was the type to have it, well... considering the nature of autism and whatnot, it would *not* be restricted to gaming. That sort of person would very likely simply get addicted like that to whatever they latch onto as a special interest, no matter what it happens to be. I've heard of that one happening many times. Even something like getting super addicted to books, which is something that doesnt sound like it even makes sense.

Most, though, do it in moderation, as I do. Even for us here, we're generally not THAT bad at controlling our hobbies.

As for the really negative effects, it's true that they happen, but they're muuuuuch more rare than you might think. The problem: people TALK about the negative bits all the time. They talk about the positive bits extremely rarely, which is where most of this misconception comes from. I mean, well, you know how people are. People get like this about ANY topic that they dont quite understand, spotting only the bad and ignoring even the potential for good. So you always hear about the addicts, you hear about the angry screaming kids in online games, you hear about people raging out at other players... but there's tons of good stuff that happens, yet THOSE things never get talked about, because there's no spectacle to them.

Which is a huge part of why I usually go into such detail about it, to simply help teach that it really isnt quite what alot of people make it out to be. It's true that not everyone gets amazing things out of a hobby like this. However, most will get SOMETHING out of it. A great many will get a chance to make real friends this way, for instance. Lasting friends. That, alone, is well worth the time spent. It also gets the player thinking, and exercises them mentally. Games as a whole usually arent as braindead as the ones that the media typically likes to show off the most often. Hell, LOTS of players end up getting better at things like math, logic, planning, stuff like that, because in order to do well, they *must* get better at those things. And lastly, it almost always increases familiarity with computers and related technology in general, particularly when PC gaming is involved. Even learning to repair the bloody things is often a necessary skill. Hell, it's the reason why I'm good with computers, too. Those are traits that absolutely anyone can get from this, and very commonly. I've never met another gamer that HASNT gotten some of that stuff out of it.

Honestly I'd love to. But nobody I know cares about that sort of thing. My area is sort of.... middle of bloody nowhere, so there arent even any stores around here that carry such things. I love board games for instance but I cant even remember the last time I had a chance to do one. It just doesnt happen here. Believe me, it's frustrating. Most people around my area just.... watch TV. It's not exactly the most exciting region.

When it comes to non-computer hobbies, I fly drones. Recent thing. Also have twisty puzzles (think Rubik's Cubes, except more absurd and more difficult). I agree that it's good to get away from these bloody machines sometimes. PARTICULARLY for those that actually work with computers as part of their job/career.

Your comments about some of the good aspects of rabid gaming do make sense. I think learning skills for possible future employment might be the best ones. Paradoxically, they might be also some of the worst aspects of it.

Many things in life are, essentially, two-edged swords, which one must consider carefully how best to approach in a manner that will avoid harm to one who might wish to reach out and grasp it. Naturally, swords are shiny objects that can invite one to do exactly that: reach out a d grasp them. We are all prone to reaching for various and sundry shiny objects.

We can have similar reactions to attractive video games: they look appealing to us, so we want to reach out and grasp them, so to speak, regardless of what happens when we do reach out to grasp said games.

Military games seem to predominate among video games. They say this is why fewer females are attracted to video games. You appear to be an exception in this regard, and possibly in others as well. The military have alert triggers at high levels of certain types of games, so they can find the kids that hit those levels of proficiency. I know from personal experience that being outed for such abilities is not always the best thing for the individual involved. It can even get people killed. One would of course, hope not. Naturally one prefers to hope for the best at any given time or in any given situation.

I know this will probably not bother lots of gamers, but maybe you can figure out something to make it harder to identify who is doing what games and making the highest scores. I am not sure how much influence you have on gaming in general, but maybe you can use your super powers in a good way. I actually want to blather on here a bit extra to make this too long and boring for most people to want to bother reading it. I am sure you will, however, read every single word. I apologise for any torture I am putting you through here. It is all in a good cause, however.

You may not care at all about anything I said here. Of course, you may not take anything I have to say seriously, and I would not blame you if that was the case. However, I don't expect anyone to just take my word for things that might tend to stretch one's credulity. It is always a good idea to test things for yourself. There is nothing like personal experience to find out the truth of things, or NOT, of course. I think it is a very good idea to conduct some sorts of tests in a safe and sane manner and take all due precautions. Safe and sane and all due precautions actually can be, and mostly are, all they are cracked up to be.

The military can be the lesser of many evils, unfortunately. Many career military men are honest and love their country very much, but they are not in charge of everything they do. Not every kid grows up to be a fighter pilot regardless of what innate talents they have and what skills they develop at whatever stage of life.

Normally, I can be afflicted with something like diarrhea of the keyboard and go on much longer than most people might be patient enough to read with little to no effort at all, but let me attempt to do this on purpose and something entirely more succinct can occur of it's own volition. They say brevity is the soul of wit. Lol. My apologies for lack of said quality in this particular diatribe.

Some people joke about politicians eating their young. They described Democrats that way in recent history, but this kind of behavior is not actually confined to one party or even two parties, for that matter. Lots of people just do not want new leaders coming up behind them, breathing down their necks, so to speak. One might hesitate to think of anyone paying much attention to gamers of whatever age, but some people, nevertheless, do pay such attention to detail.

It is all very well to develop whatever skills one is blessed with, in whatever manner one may do so. We all seek to become the best at whatever we love to do, and therefore hope to seek our bliss in such activities. I cannot quarrel with such an outlook, since, indeed, even at my age, I still seek the same.

I hope you continue to enjoy your games and encourage others to do so in the same manner as you describe, safely and discreetly. I am not interested in further discussion of the matter, but wish you well in your endeavors.

Last edited:
I know that feeling and we even have a board game café in one the nearest town. . I'll drop by if I'm ever in Illinois :p(Highly unlikely BWT)

Normally, I can be afflicted with something like diarrhea of the keyboard and go on much longer than most people might be patient enough to read with little to no effort at all, but let me attempt to do this on purpose and something entirely more succinct can occur of it's own volition. They say brevity is the soul of wit. Lol. My apologies for lack of said quality in this particular diatribe.

Hah, no worries here. As you might have noticed, I tend to do the same. Looooooong posts that, half the time, I dont expect anyone to read, but I bloody well do them anyway. It doesnt help that some people also think I'm angry all the time. I've yet to figure that out.

There is one last thing I'll say though, in closing, as that discussion goes. The bit about military games: Yes, they're often seen as the most common, and to me, THAT is the deepest core of the problem. It's not actually TRUE... trust me on that one... but media outlets and other sources have pushed forward that idea so hard that it no longer matters if it's true. It's "fact" now to so many people. It's very unfortunate. And of course nothing I can do about it. I can at least say though that when I'm talking about or suggesting games to someone, the military shooters generally are never on my list. Dont like them, never have, never will.

Made for an interesting mini-discussion here though. Normally I cant get people to engage in discussion with me at all. Probably due to all the long-winded rambling, hah.

I know that feeling and we even have a board game café in one the nearest town. . I'll drop by if I'm ever in Illinois :p(Highly unlikely BWT)

I didnt even know places like that existed. I've heard of like, hobby shops that might sometimes involve board games, but... they dont focus on them. Heck, I do know of a pair of hobby shops near me, but one of them is purely for things like RC vehicles, drones, model trains, that sort of thing.... and the other one has alot of that stuff, and SOME board game stuff.... but it's mostly Warhammer and similar things. Which, you know, those are interesting enough but they're stupidly expensive. I tend not to think of them as "board games", I suppose they'd be the "war games" you mentioned.

I swear, the area I'm in is so bloody boring. Cant even manage some board or card games around here. But we sure have grass! If you ever want a landscape that's basically infinite grass and the occaisional exciting cow, Illinois is the place to go, definitely.

Addicted to phones, addicted to gaming, addicted to the internet, addicted to other activities...
All alternatives to staying put. In that low frame of mind. An escape by opening up the dopamine pathways (pleasure centre)

Whether or not it's useful for you is your choice (day to day functioning) but the alternative hit or fix of using your phone, gaming, interacting with other over the w.w.w is your reward.

We'll keep on doing the same things to receive the same fix of, - not necessarily always "feel good" but "feel different" type of reward.

Because let's face it, any other feeling has got to be better than thrutching around in the bowels of helplessness and despair.

Whether or not that repetitive action to open up those dopamine pathways leads you on to bigger and better things is all down to how you choose to use it.

I am not diagnosed with ASD, but that sounds a lot like my experience. I was functioning fairly well with a job as a support worker. I had some minor depression with insomnia and anxiety so my doctor put me on Welbutrin. The effects of this medication were hellish, sending me into a total breakdown.

Since then I haven't even been able to look for work in earnest without suffering severe anxiety. My sleep schedule is erratic and I spend far too much time watching YouTube or surfing the web.

If I had a job to give my life some more structure that would probably be a good thing for me. In fact, I did briefly have a job working for some friends, but their business is very small and they couldn't afford to keep me on. Even though it was menial I thing I felt a lot better doing that than doing nothing.

What bothers me most is that I fancy myself a creative person by nature. I have so many ideas and things that I want to do, but in the moment I often don't feel like doing much of anything. Ironically, the worse I feel about my inaction the more difficult it becomes to even move. Depression is a horribly paradoxical beast that feeds upon itself.

This definitely jumped out at me because I could have almost written the same thing. I used to have more minor depression and anxiety and whether it was a coincidence or not I've always gotten worse on medications. Specifically Welbutrin actually had me in the psyche ward of a hospital for a day, where I had never been before or haven't been since. It was really hard for a while trying to convince my family and doctors that I didn't trust the medications; it's frustrating how people really just see it as the simple fix (although I acknowledge that they might be more helpful than I personally give them credit for and can understand why people take them). At some point I hit a breaking point and had to quit my job and have been having severe anxiety about getting a job ever since. I did get a diagnosis of ASD about a year ago which is what my therapists partly attribute to the stress that caused my breakdown. I'm slowly figuring things out, and feel maybe I'll be able to get a job pretty soon if it's the right kind of work and not too stressful.

Hi,

I was wondering if in Aspergers not having a job or something to do can make things worse? I used to work full-time in a highly functioning job but due to a severe Zoloft reaction (and temporary valium addiction) I had a nervous breakdown and lost my job. I was quite highly functioning with a job but now I'm depressed, addicted to my mobile phone and can't be bothered getting out of bed till early mid afternoon. I don't want to be like this and feel increasingly hopeless. Is this common with our disorder? Where could I go or what could I do to break free of this? Thankyou.

My depression feels fueled by problems in my life like high functioning autism and failed relationships that I haven't figured out how to come to terms with. It's definitely a struggle to figure out and I feel your pain. If I ever try to develop "good" habits like sleep schedule or getting off my computer it doesn't feel sustainable unless I've really improved my emotional state. Some things that have helped me a little at least are learning my limitations with HFA and accepting them, and trying to keep reminding myself that other people can't hurt me as much as I'm afraid they will if I mess things up I want to try. That's probably not too terribly helpful because everyone's depression is so unique, but hopefully you can figure out the things that you need to feel better!

New Threads

Top Bottom