• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dentists

DaisyRose

V.I.P Member
I had to go to my six month cleaning today. Somehow, I managed to get a chip in my tooth. Don’t know how that happened, but I got it taken care of. I’m happy everything went well. Dentist don’t bother me, but I know people are terrified of them. Never be ashamed that you are afraid of dentists. Share your thoughts about the dentist.

My family has bad genetics with their teeth. I’m trying to make sure I take care of my teeth. Both my parents brushed my teeth till I was 12 years old to prevent cavities. They always made me aware of taking care of them.

My teeth are terrible, genetics is to blame. Me, my brother, and my sister all inherited my father's teeth. I took his advice to heart, don't waste your money on dentists, you're going to lose them all anyway. He was right.

I have a problem though, a rare allergy. Dentists know this as the Citanest allergy. Any time I have discussed this problem with doctors or nurses they accuse me of lying or making up stories, yet to dentists this is a scenario they are familiar with and trained for.

I am allergic to the chemical they use as a preservative in adrenaline, it's a common chemical called Sodium Metabisulphate. It's a common chemical used by wineries and breweries to sterilize bottles, it's also used by commercial fishermen to sterilize their catch. I can drink wine and eat fish, ingesting this chemical causes me no harm. Yet an epipen will kill me.

Injecting this chemical in to my bloodstream is a very different story. The neurologist told me that what happened to me is called a Full Neural Seizure. Brain death. The dentist gave me a needle and then 30 seconds later I was dead. He said there's absolutely nothing medical science can do about that, once the brain is gone there's nothing else they can work with. He said that it's just an odd fluke that in roughly 50% of cases the brain will just start up again automatically by itself, like mine did after 1 1/2 minutes, but if it doesn't there's nothing they can do about it.

I have been to dentists since that of course, but I always explain the allergy to them. I felt so sorry for the last one, she was only a young woman. She gave me a needle and watched me intently, then after a while I got bored and asked her when she was going to start work. She said she was still watching for a reaction and I said "You're right sweetheart, if you gave me the wrong anaesthetic I'd already be dead.". Her face almost turned inside out, she was horrified.

image.jpeg

I hate the dentist. They always ask if you're comfortable while jamming metal in your gums. Sure! I do this all the time!

But, it's important to go. For a while I didn't, because it was too much to handle with everything in my life. That was not a great decision, but I have no major problems. Now I go.

I had to go to my six month cleaning today. Somehow, I managed to get a chip in my tooth. Don’t know how that happened, but I got it taken care of. I’m happy everything went well. Dentist don’t bother me, but I know people are terrified of them. Never be ashamed that you are afraid of dentists. Share your thoughts about the dentist.
I am not afraid. I am not afraid of needles. I am very brave.
I just do not like them shoving so much in my mouth, I can feel nausea like that I ask them to take it out and give me little breaks.
I would go for check ups or if I had a problem every 6 months.
I used to like when they gave toys and stickers when I was younger.
So stuff is hard when they have to extract teeth. And the recovery and fillings are not pleasant.
I got a bit nervous when I was younger I would sometimes quiver in the waiting room and not want to go because too the chairs were a bit daunting.
And you have to rinse then like the stick down the sucker, air blower and tools to scrape and look.
And also when they give the injection well they have to numb it and put cotton wads in and then stick it in and well it does hurt a bit then they have to stick in some more thsn the whole area goes numb and is numb for a long time after.
I used to be so brave when they stuck the injection in I put my brave face on and I always used to used try to know when it would be hard then stay as still as I could and put on my brave face.
I always kind of liked it because I was sp proud of myself for doing it and thought I was so brave and mum often gave me a treat at McDonald's after like fries or a happy meal for lunch or an ice cream. And often we would not shop just have McDonald's and go home.

Growing up, the family dentist was very good. I didn't mind going at all. Then at some point when I was an adult, the practice changed hands. The new dentist was horrible. It felt like she was trying to get an upper-body workout in my mouth. After that experience, I didn't got to a dentist for many years. I now have a dentist who does a great job and I visit every six months. The quality of the dentist matters.

Last edited:
Strangely enough, going to the dentist is one of the only things I don't struggle with. I always found it so easy to just make an appointment, go there and get a checkup, then go home. Even getting teeth out was less daunting than working a job! Having someone put needles, pliers, power tools and other medical equipment in my mouth just doesn't phase me at all. Small talk isn't a problem either, no awkwardness since they only talk about things I know. Maybe they know I'm autistic, maybe they are just so good at what they do.

But I echo the sentiment of never be ashamed of being afraid of the dentist. I get why people would find it incredibly intrusive, someone putting things in your mouth, then potential pain, bright lights and everything else that goes along with a dentist visit. I have seen a few people in the waiting room rocking back and forth hard in the chair. Now I know they are stimming.

I'm not afraid of dentists, I'm just afraid of the cost of the dentist. It's strange how dentists and opticians aren't on the NHS, but ears, nose and throat are.

My teeth are terrible, genetics is to blame. Me, my brother, and my sister all inherited my father's teeth. I took his advice to heart, don't waste your money on dentists, you're going to lose them all anyway. He was right.

I have a problem though, a rare allergy. Dentists know this as the Citanest allergy. Any time I have discussed this problem with doctors or nurses they accuse me of lying or making up stories, yet to dentists this is a scenario they are familiar with and trained for.

I am allergic to the chemical they use as a preservative in adrenilin, it's a common chemical called Sodium Metabisulphate. It's a common chemical used by wineries and breweries to sterilise bottles, it's also used by commercial fishermen to sterilise their catch. I can drink wine and eat fish, ingesting this chemical causes me no harm. Yet an epipen will kill me.

Injecting this chemical in to my bloodstream is a very different story. The neurologist told me that what happened to me is called a Full Neural Seizure. Brain death. The dentist gave me a needle and then 30 seconds later I was dead. He said there's absolutely nothing medical science can do about that, once the brain is gone there's nothing else they can work with. He said that it's just an odd fluke that in roughly 50% of cases the brain will just start up again automatically by itself, like mine did after 1 1/2 minutes, but if it doesn't there's nothing they can do about it.

I have been to dentists since that of course, but I always explain the allergy to them. I felt so sorry for the last one, she was only a young woman. She gave me a needle and watched me intently, then after a while I got bored and asked her when she was going to start work. She said she was still watching for a reaction and I said "You're right sweetheart, if you gave me the wrong anaesthetic I'd already be dead.". Her face almost turned inside out, she was horrified.
I'm allergic to the penicillin substitute dentists like to use extremely rare allergy. freaked my wife out when it hit me extreme itching, back kidney area turned purple had to wait for next day to see doctor as was on weekend. gave me steroids, was on trip visiting family 5 hours away. itch moved inch per hour as it spread.

I've had several dental procedures. Accidents or just being a klutz, basically. Codeine hangover is the worst. It's like trying to walk around with a cinderblock duct taped to the back of my neck. Feels like being a bobblehead doll or something.

As a Frequent Flyer in the Dental Chair I learned to appreciate what they do. I always try to talk with them, procedure allowing. Its not an easy profession. Their suicide rate is 2nd highest among professions, behind Medical Doctors.

Last edited:
I had a stroke developed a tooth ache left hospital tooth pulled dentist had stroke and died a few months later nobody said anything until year later, scheduled cleaning found out practice had been sold. I liked the guy; his daughter shared a name with me her first name was my middle name.

The dental X-rays are the worst - I have sensitive gag-reflexes to the film squares they place deep into the mouth.

Is it possible that sensitive gag-reflexes are related to the Autism Spectrum?

I had a bad experience at a dentist's and I haven't visited one since. I had an abscess and a dead tooth from that, so the dentist drilled a hole in it to clear the abscess out. He needed to see where the live tissue was, so he put a needle down into the teeth until he hit the nerve. This was without anaesthetic so I felt a sudden, sharp jolt of pain. Very unpleasant.

I had a bad experience at a dentist's and I haven't visited one since.
I haven't seen a dentist in many years now but I've gone through a few abscesses. Get yourself a little bottle of Oil Of Cloves and use a cotton bud to apply it to the tooth and gums in the area. It tastes incredibly bad but works very well.

It's a numbing agent. It's also light oil or a penetrating oil, it will seep along the face of your teeth and under the gums where it's also very useful as a disinfectant and antibacterial treatment. So you can keep the pain to manageable levels and the abscess will start to heal within a few days.

Dentists - not a problem
ER is scary to me, that's why I dedided to study medical biochemistery instead of medicine.

It's difficult to find a dentist that doesn't want to do unnecessary dental work in my experience. Many of the practices have a large overhead with the cost of equipment, staff, nice offices, etc. The public just assumes that any procedure a dentist suggests is the only option and the least expensive one at that when that's not necessarily the case.

Case in point: Some years back I was in for a routine cleaning and the dentist said I had a "micro-cavity" on one tooth and I should make an appointment to come back and have it filled. First, I'd never heard of a "micro-cavity" so that must be a new thing in the business. Secondly, I never made the appointment for the "micro-cavity" filling. Thirdly, I've been back for subsequent cleanings and the issue of any sort of "micro-cavity" has never come up. If in fact there was a "micro-cavity" then my tooth healed itself on its own. If my tooth did heal on its own, then is it wise to literally drill into someone's tooth to fill it instead?

a common misconception is that bacteria eat your teeth causing cavities, its actually the acid that they produce that eats the enamel.

It's difficult to find a dentist that doesn't want to do unnecessary dental work in my experience. Many of the practices have a large overhead with the cost of equipment, staff, nice offices, etc. The public just assumes that any procedure a dentist suggests is the only option and the least expensive one at that when that's not necessarily the case.

Case in point: Some years back I was in for a routine cleaning and the dentist said I had a "micro-cavity" on one tooth and I should make an appointment to come back and have it filled. First, I'd never heard of a "micro-cavity" so that must be a new thing in the business. Secondly, I never made the appointment for the "micro-cavity" filling. Thirdly, I've been back for subsequent cleanings and the issue of any sort of "micro-cavity" has never come up. If in fact there was a "micro-cavity" then my tooth healed itself on its own. If my tooth did heal on its own, then is it wise to literally drill into someone's tooth to fill it instead?
If it was a cavity then it would be bigger on next visit. So, it was likely only plague.

New Threads

Top Bottom