• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder

total-recoil

I found out about this myself and suspect that very possibly I may have this. It's often connected to autism spectrum. I don't know a great deal about DSPD as of yet so too early to get particularly brave in self diagnosis but I will describe what I experience.
Basically, when I wake up early to go to work, it kills me. It was the same at school. I just can't seem to adapt to being up early. With Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder people who have it tend to go to bed after midnight and also get up late sometimes even at noon. Now, in my case, I can actually go to bed at, say, 4.00 a.m. and would probably feel fine getting up at 10.30 a.m. Or even as late as 6.00 a.m and up at 11.00 a.m. Yet even if I went to bed at 23.00 p.m., rising at 6.00 or 7.00 kills me. The more I do it, the worse I feel. Also doing that I physically slow down so my motor movements become comically slow. I may get bad tempered as all or even, in extreme cases, suffer cramps.
I suspect it is one of the factors making it difficult to hold down a job and some people suggested maybe I'd be better going on nights. I did used to work night and could sleep as little as 4 hours by day and wake up fine. But to do the same going the opposite way and rising at 6.00 kills me.

"People with DSPS tend to fall asleep at very late times, and also have difficulty waking up in time for school or work which begins in the morning.
Often, DSP individuals report that they cannot sleep until early morning.
Unlike insomniacs, however, they fall asleep at about the same time every night, no matter what time they go to bed.
People with DSPS have at least a normal - and often much greater than normal - ability to sleep during the morning, and sometimes in the afternoon as well.
In contrast, those with chronic insomnia do not find it much easier to sleep during the morning than at night."

Hum interesting. Sounds a lot like me.. Though most people call me a night person. I get up at noon and stay awake until about 3am then go to bed. But If I have to get up at 6am I am screwed. Its made going to high school was hell because I was unable to focus because I couldn't sleep until I needed to. Or my internships I would sleep until late and have to run out the door almost late for the bus every morning because I couldn't sleep until Noon. Sounds really interesting I will have to look more into that.

Interesting, i always thought i was this way from nurture, my dad is the same way and well he took care of me since i was 2, and shared his bad habits with me! XD

I was told it is an unnatural circadian rhythm. My family has told me that when I was a baby and was put to bed around 7 PM, I would wake at 11 PM and stay happily awake, alone in my crib playing with toys for hours. When I started school my life was miserable because I felt sick and sluggish until at least noon. If I could get away with it I would take a nap in the afternoon. I was lectured that if only I complied and rose early and went to bed early, I would naturally wake up in the early morning. That was pure BS! I went to school through college, always forced to get up in the early morning. Then I was a teacher and continued to have "insomnia" every night. The truth is that my circadian rhythms dictated that I sleep late and go to bed very late. When I was able to do so I felt fine. I am retired now and sleep until noon whenever I am not forced to get up early. I frequently stay up until 3 AM, or sometimes even later. I became a nurse for my second career and never had difficulty staying awake when I worked 11 PM to 7 AM. I am so damn sick of being told that I could follow a respectable sleep/wake schedule if only I tried. It was only after I retired at age 62 that I was able to sleep whenever I chose--except for those times when I have an early appointment. I try to schedule all appointments for 1 PM or later. I would rather live as a hermit and never interact with "normal" people who are awake early. I never chose this "abnormal" sleep preference and I am not doing it to be antisocial.

I've worked nights for 11 yrs now and I always go to sleep around 2am even on my days off and wake up around 11am. I have had some classes that I have had to attend for work that start usually at 8am (one class lasted for a week) and in order to prepare myself I would get up at about 6am every morning at least a week before. But no matter how many times I made myself get up that early, it never got any better and I just went to the class tired and half sick to my stomach. I can, however, work all night and stay up through the early morning until about 930am then I go to bed during the day.

I am certain that some of us are just born to be "night people". I'm one of those people who don't fully wake up until 11:00am and I have never been able to change this. People have told me that it is like the power suddenly gets turned on, and they laugh at how obvious it is. I worked in an office for more than 25 years, and it didn't matter how much coffee I drank, I just couldn't change my natural rhythm.

I must have this. I'm usually awake until 3 AM and then wake up around 11. I'm always tired on Sundays because I have to get up early (currently at 7:45) for church. For some reason, I started sleeping and waking up later after the last time I moved. I'm not sure why moving affected that though.

Went to bed about 430 am last night. Dud my usual study session and then watched an episode of Columbo. I rose at an incredible noon but really am going to have to go back to a more normal routine.

I don't even have a solid grasp on 24 hour cycles, let alone it being delayed on a reliable daily basis. I have day that last about 8 hours before I can pass out for a good sleep as well as I have days that go on for 36+ hours until I feel the need to sleep.

More recently I've been on a bit of a "short day" thing I suppose... I can't manage to stay awake for more than 12 hours without feeling really tired... perhaps it's winter that got to me for once

I don't even have a solid grasp on 24 hour cycles, let alone it being delayed on a reliable daily basis. I have day that last about 8 hours before I can pass out for a good sleep as well as I have days that go on for 36+ hours until I feel the need to sleep.

More recently I've been on a bit of a "short day" thing I suppose... I can't manage to stay awake for more than 12 hours without feeling really tired... perhaps it's winter that got to me for once
Well, I find it's worse if it's pouring with rain and cold. I tend to just stay in bed. This was what Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys used to do and on a serious level. He would spend hours in bed. Myself I just love being alone late at night either with my books or synthesiser and finally winding up with a movie while in bed. Columbo is fun to watch around 3.00 a.m.

Well, I find it's worse if it's pouring with rain and cold. I tend to just stay in bed. This was what Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys used to do and on a serious level. He would spend hours in bed. Myself I just love being alone late at night either with my books or synthesiser and finally winding up with a movie while in bed. Columbo is fun to watch around 3.00 a.m.

Oh, It's not that I don't like to be around late a night... and quite often I actually tend to be awake at night. Daytime gets to me more often probably. I think I'd manage better if I just went to bed at 8 am and slept till 5 pm in the winter just to skip that bit of sunlight altogether. Summers are pretty much the same but there I have to force myself out in daylight because there's no 24 hour store around and I don't run on batteries.

And yes, much like you I enjoy spending time with my synthesizers at night, heh.

I definitely have this although no official diagnosis. Recently however, I am on work experience and have been forcing myself to get up early which usually means I fall asleep not long after finishing work. Before that I would literally sleep all day and be awake during the night.

Oh, It's not that I don't like to be around late a night... and quite often I actually tend to be awake at night. Daytime gets to me more often probably. I think I'd manage better if I just went to bed at 8 am and slept till 5 pm in the winter just to skip that bit of sunlight altogether. Summers are pretty much the same but there I have to force myself out in daylight because there's no 24 hour store around and I don't run on batteries.

And yes, much like you I enjoy spending time with my synthesizers at night, heh.
Synth playing is one of the activities I do that is totally relaxing and never feels like work. So, I make it a rule to "earn" my time on synth by studying a bit of maths or something first (normally around 1.00 a.m. Finally I wrap it up with a Columbo movie and finally hit the pillow around 4.00 a.m.

I have this, definitely. Since I was a teen I used to stay up until three am watching old black and white movies and episodes of Twilight Zone. Work was always hell for me because I could not function until much later in the day. I usually fall asleep around 1:30 am or later, and wake around 11 am or later. I don't really feel alive until after 3 pm. As I am now retired, I only have to push myself to rise early if I have someplace that I have to be early in the morning. Tomorrow I am having a sleep study; what a joke! They think the whole world goes to bed by eleven pm and wakes at the outlandish hour of six am.:eek: Thankfully my husband has the same sleep issues as I do. In fact, sometimes we stay up even later unless he has to work the next day.

New Threads

Top Bottom