• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dealing with Seasonal Affective Disorder and spending the holidays alone.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
I decided to not spend any time with my parents on Thanksgiving or Christmas this year. That probably is best for my mental health.

I also determined that I live with Seasonal Affective Disorder, and it is kicking my butt today.

My local friends are all too busy to chill with me on a regular basis. I have transportation issues. I should budget for an Uber ride to get to places instead of spending all of my cash on movies and games.

I am a shopping addict on top of everything else.

I wish I had a cigar right now.

I wish we could’ve saw Napalm Death together, Metal brother. What do you think of their current era if you’ve been keeping up with them?

I decided to not spend any time with my parents on Thanksgiving or Christmas this year. That probably is best for my mental health.

I also determined that I live with Seasonal Affective Disorder, and it is kicking my butt today.

My local friends are all too busy to chill with me on a regular basis. I have transportation issues. I should budget for an Uber ride to get to places instead of spending all of my cash on movies and games.

I am a shopping addict on top of everything else.

I wish I had a cigar right now.
I was diagnosed with Seasonal Affective Disorder. After I was aware, I started tracking it, and realized the timing was way off It always seemed to start around mid October and end early January when it was supposed to be peaking. I eventually figured out it was actually a reaction to the Christmas season. That whole period has an emphasis on parties, friendship, togetherness, and people enjoying themselves. None of which I can participate in, despite an intense desire to do so. This missing out causes a depression to set in for the whole time. You may be experiencing something similar, with your friends moving to other activities for the season. Understanding the problem usually helps.

You really need to develop some restraint on your spending. Shopping dues not necessarily mean buying. I find if I wait before buying something I want but don't need, I appreciate it more. I have also discovered if I wait, sometimes I find I don't really need it. Not telling you what to do, just relating my own experiences.

I would join you with a cigar, but I'm highly allergic to tobacco smoke and nicotine. I'll make it virtual.

I was diagnosed with Seasonal Affective Disorder. After I was aware, I started tracking it, and realized the timing was way off It always seemed to start around mid October and end early January when it was supposed to be peaking. I eventually figured out it was actually a reaction to the Christmas season. That whole period has an emphasis on parties, friendship, togetherness, and people enjoying themselves. None of which I can participate in, despite an intense desire to do so. This missing out causes a depression to set in for the whole time. You may be experiencing something similar, with your friends moving to other activities for the season. Understanding the problem usually helps.

You really need to develop some restraint on your spending. Shopping dues not necessarily mean buying. I find if I wait before buying something I want but don't need, I appreciate it more. I have also discovered if I wait, sometimes I find I don't really need it. Not telling you what to do, just relating my own experiences.

I would join you with a cigar, but I'm highly allergic to tobacco smoke and nicotine. I'll make it virtual.
Yes. I get sad when it gets dark early, so l purchased my Xmas gift early so that l will deal better with the change in weather. And l changed my diet to more hot things like soup, and Mexican hot chocolate (comes in solid triangles you break off). I am trying some kimchi recipes also. Like l am upping the spicy in my mealtimes.

Yes. I get sad when it gets dark early, so l purchased my Xmas gift early so that l will deal better with the change in weather. And l changed my diet to more hot things like soup, and Mexican hot chocolate (comes in solid triangles you break off). I am trying some kimchi recipes also. Like l am upping the spicy in my mealtimes.
I suspect you may have missed my point. If I am wrong, I apologize. SAD is usually attributed to early darkness, as it was in my case. Howeveer, it wasn't the darkness that was the problem, it was all the socialization that I could not participate in that was the cause of the depression. If darkness were the problem, my winters in far northern Canada and Alaska would have been an ordeal, not a joy.

I suspect you may have missed my point. If I am wrong, I apologize. SAD is usually attributed to early darkness, as it was in my case. Howeveer, it wasn't the darkness that was the problem, it was all the socialization that I could not participate in that was the cause of the depression. If darkness were the problem, my winters in far northern Canada and Alaska would have been an ordeal, not a joy.
I understand what you are saying, I was just stating how early darkness affects me. For my ex, he would become very grouchy and depressed. I just get the depressed part.

It's great you decided not to see parents over the holidays. Excellent decision! Stick with it too, don't fold despite feeling lonely, you don't need their company at all. You are being very insightful about how things are, possibly you could also come up with a doable plan to help you feel better, going forward.

Alongside letting go the myth that your parents will ever come through for you, I hope you grasp the truth that you can look after yourself, you are a bright and responsible adult. I think you have had a tough time recently with work hassle and travel hassle and that gout, even apart from SAD. What helps with the SAD?

If you cannot afford cigars but like to smoke, get an inexpensive tobacco pipe and just go enjoy the blends available in bulk at a local tobacco store. I know I don't have money to smoke much so I would go buy cheap tobacco and smoke that in a $10 WWII-era briar pipe I found in a junk shop. If you want to get a decent pipe I suggest finding a Dr Grabow, made in North Carolina--they are good enough quality but not expensive. This is a good way to get off of cigar smoking's unhealthy side, but to still enjoy tobacco--and since a pipe can burn for up to 30 minutes you are able to chill out & smoke plenty. Some people walk while smoking; this is good exercise too.

If you do not want to spend the holidays with your family, do not. But the holidays are a great time to spend with other people so what I would suggest is, go out & socialize if you can. Transportation issues make things difficult for sure but if you could go spend time with folks--stage a metal meetup at your house & invite other metalheads over, maybe--whatever.

So as far as SAD goes, a sun lamp on a timer might help. But focus on the Norwegian concept of hygge instead of the Anglo-Saxon concept of winter as this bleak time of freezing and being miserable, and see if that helps at least some.

Please keep us posted. Hopefully things are going well.

New Threads

Top Bottom