• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dealing with clinical depression on top of everything else.

Don't interact with your mother. You have several strands of complexity in what you are up against, your ongoing relating with her is one.

You kind of bounce between talking about the strands, which I think may be a way that your foreward progress gets muddled.

Other strands being, family abuse of you as a child and young person, addictions, depression.

You very often mention your mother's ideas and opinions, historically and current. Probably could do more work on mother in therapy. As you are not yet free of her. I've got a postcard with a cartoon of a guy clasping his mother's hand, think she's on her death bed, and he's in his 60s or 70s, saying, 'Mother, you have made my life hell!'.

Yeah he's still trying to have a conversation with mother she has no interest in, and get her attention and Love. Not gonna happen. It's like, you know it but you don't know it. Rehashing examples from the past make you feel like a victim. So, ultimately you need to stop doing that. This may mean getting more of it out there in therapy though, first. Try a therapy group, it's therapeutic just listening to other's similar experiences I find. You can learn a lot, same as in groups that support us with addictions.

Once you are in charge more, with mother firmly displaced as a holder of any kind of sane or sensible opinions about you, you may be better placed to tackle other strands? Probably not enough to just agree that she should be displaced, it may take more work than that cos she's still here after all her transgressions, sucking the life out-of you.

I am a perpetual harvester of personal misery. Listen to me if you think Debbie Downer is too upbeat for your tastes. I watch Grave of the Fireflies every morning and Requiem for a Dream every evening.

OK, maybe things are not quite that bad.

It is too easy for me to revert back to a victim mentality when I am alone in my house with my thoughts being my companions. I lived through a childhood I wish upon nobody. And I have a family I also wish upon nobody.

New Threads

Top Bottom