• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Current book(s) you're reading?

Most of them can be read as individual novels, The Light Fantastic follows directly on from The Colour of Magic.

It does pay to sort of follow a chronological order because many of the later books assume prior knowledge of what happened in the earlier ones.
Yeah, that is what my dad said but he also said that the 40 books (?) are also linked with each other, so I guess if I like all the books at the moment, I will try to read all of them. Challenge accepted.=D

I should also mention, there's one more book that never gets included in the list of Discworld novels, but it very much is a discworld novel and should be included in the earlier sets. It's called Strata.

Strata.jpg

I'm just over halfway through, but this is one of the most brutal, insightful books I've read. It's rare to find a book that's almost too real, and can display its power so casually.

Stoner
I have that on kindle, but it didn’t grab me. Maybe I’ll give it another go.

I'm reading Don’t call it Night by Amos Oz.

Buddenbrooks

I just started Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann. It's the first novel of his that I've tried, and so far I enjoy it. He seems to be a very potent, subtle writer with great self-control, so I look forward to reading the rest.

I'm waiting for these in the mail:

Culture and Anarchy by Matthew Arnold (Cambridge edition)
The Wonderful Adventures of Mrs. Seacole in Many Lands by Mary Seacole (a narrative by Creole nurse during the Crimean War)
The Years and Simple Passion by Annie Erneaux (memoirs which appear to have that impersonal style Orwell valued so much, and which I love too)

Buddenbrooks

I just started Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann. It's the first novel of his that I've tried, and so far I enjoy it. He seems to be a very potent, subtle writer with great self-control, so I look forward to reading the rest.

Well, this was not what I hoped it would be. Must try something else.

20230124_153219.jpg
20230124_153247.jpg
20230122_145423.jpg

Little bit of atypical reading over the last week or so, in addition to my standard frivolous reading habit. A couple of truly unique picture books and the Creative Act: A Way of Being. Not challenging in any stretch of the imagination, but well worth the time, particularly The Creative Act.

I took a break from Nietzsche last night and tonight to enjoy some short stories from this:

The Collected Stories

William Trevor - The Collected Stories

Trevor's work is funny, but very moving. His novel Fools of Fortune is one of the saddest books I've ever read, but life-affirming in its display of perseverance. And he knows where to place a memorable phrase for maximum impact.

New Threads

Top Bottom