• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Current book(s) you're reading?

Digital Marketing Analytics (making sense of consumer data in a digital world) by Chuck Hemann. Very readable, excellent walk thru because l find that some positions require you to speak the lingo.

The Puttermesser Papers by Cynthia Ozick. Not sure about this book but interesting read. Her style of writing is actually more entertaining.

A shout out to thriftbooks.com for their excellent website, quick turn around and best prices.

41kUWRBOzAL.jpg

I just finished read this in less than 2 days, maybe in less than 1 day; almost 300 pages bus it was a very interesting "sci-fy" story. The author is an italian aerospace engineer, very well written.

Oxford Figures: 800 years of the mathematical sciences, edited by John Fauvel, Raymond Flood, and Robin Wilson

Into the Wild by J. Krakauer, Double Day trade paperback edition, 1996.

Tragic tale of the final days of Alex Supertramp, aka Chris McCandless, who met his mortal end alone and afraid in the Alaskan backcountry some thirty years ago.

Supertramp was all of us back then, a drifter and a misfit. A rainbow family kind of guy. We all "went out" as we called it then, with garage sale gear and cheap shoes, old maps, hearts full of hope and seeking glory. Totally fearless.

Alex never made it back, it's a really sad story. It could have been me, lost in the field. It reminds me of a vanished nomad culture of the time, memories I cherish. It's a favorite for me because the author, who wrote for "outside" magazine treated the story with dignity and respect.

I'm reading Goethe's Hermann and Dorothea, and Schiller's Willhelm Tell.

I like them. I consider looking for a book about the history of german literature.

I'm reading Goethe's Hermann and Dorothea, and Schiller's Willhelm Tell.

I like them. I consider looking for a book about the history of german literature.

Good heavens, child. How can you read two books like that at once? Both are quite complex. I would need to focus on one story at a time and give myself plenty of room to absorb and analyze what I read.

'The Constant Rabbit' by jasper fforde (I believe it to be a funny commentary on Brexit in the form of a Fantasy that features intelligent, talking rabbits.

This is no 'Watership Down' because first and foremost fforde is an absurdist.

For a few days I'm moving away from my "serious" readings to less demanding novels, in order to relax for a while.

Today I finished reading Knots & Crosses by Ian Rankin. It's a mystery novel set in 1985 Edinburgh, and it's the first novel of the Inspector Rebus series (24 novels + short stories). There is a British TV-adaptation his stories called simply Rebus, in which oddly enough the last episode is this first novel. In Knots and Crosses there are various intertwined plots, but the main problem concerns the kidnap and murder of girls (age 8-12 iirc) with no apparent connection among them, and the oddity that Rebus has been receiving bizarre letters with little to no text and a piece of string with a knot.

Now I'm reading The Mystery of the Yellow Room, by Gastón Leroux. I wanted to wait until I had a decent French to read the original, but I didn't want to wait anymore and decided to read the Spanish translation. I first heard about this classic locked-room mystery when I was a teenager and obsessed with detective fiction, but for some reason years went by until I finally picked it up.

Last edited:
For a few days I'm moving away from my "serious" readings to less demanding novels, in order to relax for a while.

Today I finished reading Knots & Crosses by Ian Rankin. It's a mystery novel set in 1985 Edinburgh, and it's the first novel of the Inspector Rebus series (24 novels + short stories). There is a British TV-adaptation his stories called simply Rebus, in which oddly enough the last episode is this first novel. In Knots and Crosses there are various intertwined plots, but the main problem concerns the kidnap and murder of girls (age 8-12 iirc) with no apparent connection among them, and the oddity that Rebus has been receiving bizarre letters with little to no text and a piece of string with a knot.

Now I'm reading The Mystery of the Yellow Room, by Gastón Leroux. I wanted to wait until I had a decent French to read the original, but I didn't want to wait anymore and decided to read the Spanish translation. I first heard about this classic locked-room mystery when I was a teenager and obsessed with detective fiction, but for some reason years went by until I finally picked it up.

The one about the yellow room sounds fabulous. I put it on my Powell’s list.

View attachment 70865
The Vampyre by John Polidori
The first vampire tale published in the English language.
That's an interesting tale. I read it and wrote and review on it when I used to blog. Overall I liked it, but not much more than that. The tale in itself takes a second place to the stereotype for the modern vampire. Since we're familiar with the stereotype, the tale doesn't have the same strength as when it was published.
The early folk beliefs vampires were represented more similar to ghoul creatures. Using Lord Byron instead as an external model for these hideous creatures was an interesting switch, which I think can be credited to the massive publication of vampire tales that followed, because vampires weren't as scary until they were described as being among us.

Last edited:
That's an interesting tale. I read it and wrote and review on it when I used to blog. Overall I liked it, but not much more than that. The tale in itself takes a second place to the stereotype for the modern vampire. Since we're familiar with the stereotype, the tale doesn't have the same strength as when it was published.
The early folk beliefs vampires were represented more similar to ghoul creatures. Using Lord Byron instead as an external model for these hideous creatures was an interesting switch, which I think can be credited to the massive publication of vampire tales that followed, because vampires weren't as scary until they were described as being among us.

Polidori was a “wannabe” writer, poor lamb. Which is why the book isn’t very good. I’m on a Lord Byron kick right now, so that’s mostly why I’m reading it. I’m sure you know that it was first published under Byron’s name, which was soon sorted out, but still: I can’t imagine how anyone could have believed he wrote it. It’s as unByronesque as you could wish.

New Threads

Top Bottom