• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Curious

Cmack

I just found out I'm autistic from my child psych report a couple weeks ago and I wanted to know what does everyone use for natural health product supplementation and pharmaceutical drugs? A little background on me and my issues..I'm obtuse, anti social and have digestive issues.

1. L-theanine to think more clearly and sleep better.
2. Chelated magnesium for relaxation, blood pressure management, and sleep.
3. Melatonin for better sleep.
4. Methylated B-complex. Decreased inflammation. Better energy/less mental fatigue. Lower homocysteine levels.
5. N-acetyl cysteine. Decreased inflammation. Better energy/less mental fatigue.
6. Creatine. Less mental fatigue.
7. Broad-spectrum probiotic. Gut health and neurotransmitter balance.

To oversimplify:
If you have trouble sleeping. Not good.
If you have too much excitatory neurotransmitter-to-inhibitory neurotransmitter. Not good.
If you have too much oxidant-to-antioxidant. Not good.
If you have an imbalance of good bacteria-to-bad bacteria. Not good.

Go onto Google Scholar or PubMed and do your research on these supplements. "autism and L-theanine" and so on. Limit the search to say the past 5 years, or so to get the most recent information, of course.

4. Methylated B-complex. Decreased inflammation. Better energy/less mental fatigue. Lower homocysteine levels.
5. N-acetyl cysteine. Decreased inflammation. Better energy/less mental fatigue.

To oversimplify:
If you have too much excitatory neurotransmitter-to-inhibitory neurotransmitter. Not good.

Go onto Google Scholar or PubMed and do your research on these supplements. "autism and L-theanine" and so on. Limit the search to say the past 5 years, or so to get the most recent information, of course.
thats awesome thank you very much!!!

Worth noting that currently there is no medicine on label for the treatment of autism.

Personally I use L-Theanine with a heavy dose of caffeine to get rid of the noise and focus better (suspected ADHD, but whatever, it works). I have that in the morning. In the evening I'll take melatonin for sleep. For that I find you have to be precise as it's not like a sleeping tablet. If I take it and miss the point at which it really starts to work my body seems to produce other hormones to offset it. If I'm in bed at the time and stop reading the moment I feel it, I'll sleep wonderfully.

Hello and welcome to the forum, @Cmack.

Hope you find what you are seeking here.

I don't take anything, so I can't help, but just wanted to say welcome.

To oversimplify:

is there anything you can tell me about my day dreaming? comes out of nowhere and chews up my time. Its weird. comes out of nowhere and is very disruptive to my concentration

Worth noting that currently there is no medicine on label for the treatment of autism.

Personally I use L-Theanine with a heavy dose of caffeine to get rid of the noise and focus better (suspected ADHD, but whatever, it works). I have that in the morning. In the evening I'll take melatonin for sleep. For that I find you have to be precise as it's not like a sleeping tablet. If I take it and miss the point at which it really starts to work my body seems to produce other hormones to offset it. If I'm in bed at the time and stop reading the moment I feel it, I'll sleep wonderfully.
thats awesome thank you so much.

Welcome. There are great forum members that always take the time to give support at this forum. I have learned so much about autism here.

is there anything you can tell me about my day dreaming? comes out of nowhere and chews up my time. Its weird. comes out of nowhere and is very disruptive to my concentration
Ah, executive functioning issues associated with attention deficits. Well, all I can suggest is microdosing with psilocybin (magic mushrooms), but they are illegal, so I can't really suggest it,... ;)

Welcome!

I don't take any supplement for ASD as there aren't any that are specific to it.

I do take the things I know I need, like iron and vitamin D because I have problems with both (per blood tests). A good multivitamin every other day, too.

I try to eat as healthy as possible to get enough nutrients and I exercise regularly, even if that only means walking the dog for an hour.

If I eat a lot of vegetables and beans or milk products, I take one digestive enzyme (Healthy Origins) because it helps with digestions. It has lactase plus the same ingredient as Beano but it's cheaper.

For attention, sometimes I take a tiny amount of ritalin. I do mean tiny: 2.5 mg. I can't tolerate more than that.

I have used psilocybin -- in large amounts and microdosing. Interesting and helpful, but it doesn't do much on the attention side for me or the microdosing.

Ah, executive functioning issues associated with attention deficits. Well, all I can suggest is microdosing with psilocybin (magic mushrooms), but they are illegal, so I can't really suggest it,... ;)
your awesome!!!! I cant thank you enough!!! If your ever coming to vancouver island let me know and I'll fill you in on places to go and things to do only the locals know about!! North Vancouver Island!!!

I macro dose with garlic, ginger, onions. I can't find magic mushrooms growing near me, so no psilocybin.

I take two mood stabilizers and an anxiety medication, but I whole host of problems so I'm not advising someone to take this many medications just because they've been diagnosed with autism.

To oversimplify:

Go onto Google Scholar or PubMed and do your research on these supplements. "autism and L-theanine" and so on. Limit the search to say the past 5 years, or so to get the most recent information, of cour
How much of a difference did it make to take all those supplements? How long did it take to find the right cocktail and how did you know when you were satisfied with the results?

How much of a difference did it make to take all those supplements? How long did it take to find the right cocktail and how did you know when you were satisfied with the results?
As with anything, the response will be individualized. There's enough genetic variability that what works for one, may not for another.

Part of my journey with all of this was a deep dive into "all things autism". As someone in healthcare, and more specifically, MY healthcare, my bias is to understand the problem, and then address that first, rather than treating symptoms. I know, I know, there's a trillion-dollar industry in treating symptoms and not problems. Another topic for another time. At any rate, my understanding of autism is from the medical model, the genetics, anatomy, physiology, immunology, and so on. The core behavioral characteristics common to autism are secondary, and the tertiary behavioral characteristics, the psychiatric and cognitive biases are from how we internalized our life experiences. There is likely more neurodiversity within the autism community than the neurotypical community despite having many of the core attributes that make us all autistic.

That said, as I would read scientific articles on the various supplements, I was understanding the problem and why it may work. I would add one by one, assess results before adding the next. There was no magic pill or acute response. All of it happened slowly and insidiously over months.

If there was any significant response for me, it was microdosing psilocybin. Sub-perceptible dosage (0.1-0.5g dried) 3X/week. I am using mycologist Paul Stamets "Stamets Stack" (0.5g psilocybin mushroom + 100mg niacin(flushing type) + 2g Lion's mane mushroom extract). I can go about my daily activities. I have zero interest in getting high. I am too much of a control freak. I am a busy person. My story here: I've been at the same job for over 35 years. I'm a mentor, an educator, a leader within the hospital. Now, I didn't get to this point by being passive. I worked hard. However, what has been persistent was that I was always out on the periphery. Present, but not really part of "the group". Good acquaintances, but not really true friends. There was always a "glass wall" there. I started with microdosing in January of this year. By February, I started seemingly "out of the blue" receiving professional recognition awards from my co-workers describing how I did this or that or the other thing. People seemed a lot more friendly. In March, more the same thing, only more so. So, people were noticing changes in me. Then I started noticing how my attitude was changing for the positive and my neural flexibility was improving when quickly switching from task to task, interruptions, emergency situations, etc. I was dealing with stress much better. I was smiling and laughing a lot more, my wife noticing this first and commenting on it. I don't have any sort of depression symptoms anymore. When I do focus on something, I can literally, visually, zoom in on things with the highest of acuity. Laser focus. Apparently, I am a better version of me. At any rate, I am not going to make any claims that this will work for everyone. All I know is that it is working for me and am happy with the results, as is everyone else. This is anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth, but there is another website specifically dedicated to autism and psilocybin. I am not a member, I just know it's out there.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom