• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Create Our Own Businesses

Long story, but I have been self employed for about a year now (I've been self employed for most of my adult life).

I wish I'd have had my diagnosis before I set up again, as I spent way too much on preparation as I'm a bit obsessive about my work. That said, I wouldn't want to be sloppy :)

I don't make a lot of money at it (made a loss this year due to setting up costs), but I like doing it. Isn't that more important? Ok, perhaps making a lot of money AND enjoying it would be better! :p

I am a musician, though I also write. I have this ambition to get published, validating my writing. Music or Fiction, either would be great :D

I don't make a lot of money at it (made a loss this year due to setting up costs), but I like doing it. Isn't that more important? Ok, perhaps making a lot of money AND enjoying it would be better! :p

Agreed. I'll settle for just getting by. Which honestly has me somewhere between gravely concerned and terrified. So many international and unnecessary events which negatively influence our markets and make life precarious for small investors.

Life's pretty jittery at the moment, but being your own boss still has its rewards, especially given the autism factor in the equation of life.

People have often told me I should sell my paintings. I wouldn't mind making a living as an artist but don't think I could.

I started My own carpet cleaning business almost 10 years ago. It is a great business, but You do have to deal with customers. I have overcome alot of my social anxiety over the years but am still pretty shy, but I can chat with customers to a degree. I love not having to answer to a boss. It wasn't easy getting it all started but after 3 years of heavy advertising I reached a point where I was serving mostly referral and repeat customers and picking up some new ones every year from my website. I highly recommend self employment!

Are there any methods you could describe in how you usually interact with your repeat business, or how you deal with new customers?

People have often told me I should sell my paintings. I wouldn't mind making a living as an artist but don't think I could.

There's only one way to find out. Perhaps you could start by selling prints on something like DeviantArt or some other site that has such offering.

(And edited to add -- dude, you really should sell your paintings, they are awesome. Provided you get the prices right and can paint enough of them, making a living as an artist is probably very feasible for you.)

I do a couple different things, including software development (my day job, but I'd love to build something that could generate passive income), soap making, and breeding feeder insects. They're all still hobby status, at the moment, in part because I need to build stock and build the software platform.

I also found an unexpected potential source of income with the advice I've been giving on a health and fitness website. I'd been just doing my thing and sharing what I know, and inadvertently built a reputation, so I've been kicking around the idea of having a donation link to allow people to give "tips" for the help I've given (completely voluntary and not expected).

Last edited:
So, I have an idea -- how about some kind of learning/tutoring network, designed to help Aspie kids learn in the ways that they learn best, by people who understand what they're dealing with?

There's only one way to find out. Perhaps you could start by selling prints on something like DeviantArt or some other site that has such offering.

I now have 3 of my painting on deviantART so we will see what happens. I have always been of the belief that my paintings aren't worth anything so I'm doubtful they will attract interest but I don't understand how people think so who knows?

Starting my own business is probably the only way for me to find meaningful employment. That's what the conclusion was from a job coach, a therapist and social services.

The fact that I might run my own business poorly is a different debate, though it goes to show that anything but running my own company is out of the question according to a few people that should have more insight in this.

That all being said, I've looked into it, but I can't manage it financially. Nor would I have a clue what would be a good business for me that actually has a steady demand. Most things I'm interested in are so marginally small they rarely are sustainable if you run your own 1 man company. Looking around in those fields I've come to the discovery that most companies that remotely cater to any of my interests at the moment (and even that will eventually shift, so losing interest could break my business.. and that is likely to happen) are often only viable as a "hobby project" first where to business owner has a primary job and makes long hours after work to keep his little hobby project going until it takes of after a few years. Considering I'm not the most functional person for regular employment, that does cut financial options a bit short.

Adding in my personality doesn't really make it feel inviting either I guess. As much as I like certain hobbies of mine, I like it because I"m doing it for myself. I'm not sure if doing commissions for others (or offer services to someone) will keep me satisfied.

I guess I could give writing a go, or any of the other arts. Perhaps it will catch on and eventually net me some money. I just dread the thought that I could end up in a financially unstable situation (pretty much like I am right now) and that surely does not do my creative processes any good (it's why I haven't done anything remotely artsy except for painting miniatures for at least a year, if not more). On the other hand, I'm quite sure that such issues would even make me lose interest in running any other business that's not related to any personal artsy projects either.

Starting my own business is probably the only way for me to find meaningful employment. That's what the conclusion was from a job coach, a therapist and social services.

The fact that I might run my own business poorly is a different debate, though it goes to show that anything but running my own company is out of the question according to a few people that should have more insight in this.

That all being said, I've looked into it, but I can't manage it financially. Nor would I have a clue what would be a good business for me that actually has a steady demand. Most things I'm interested in are so marginally small they rarely are sustainable if you run your own 1 man company. Looking around in those fields I've come to the discovery that most companies that remotely cater to any of my interests at the moment (and even that will eventually shift, so losing interest could break my business.. and that is likely to happen) are often only viable as a "hobby project" first where to business owner has a primary job and makes long hours after work to keep his little hobby project going until it takes of after a few years. Considering I'm not the most functional person for regular employment, that does cut financial options a bit short.

Adding in my personality doesn't really make it feel inviting either I guess. As much as I like certain hobbies of mine, I like it because I"m doing it for myself. I'm not sure if doing commissions for others (or offer services to someone) will keep me satisfied.

I guess I could give writing a go, or any of the other arts. Perhaps it will catch on and eventually net me some money. I just dread the thought that I could end up in a financially unstable situation (pretty much like I am right now) and that surely does not do my creative processes any good (it's why I haven't done anything remotely artsy except for painting miniatures for at least a year, if not more). On the other hand, I'm quite sure that such issues would even make me lose interest in running any other business that's not related to any personal artsy projects either.

Actually you're doing pretty good when contemplating the prospects. A lot of people fail to do even that.

* You see that being self-employed and being an Aspie are a good fit. They are.
* You recognize the possibility of success for any new venture is precarious. Many last no more than three years. You understand the risk.
* You recognize the most pressing need for any new venture. To have adequate capitalization. Often the toughest part of the equation.
* You recognize the need to carefully determine something you are good at which could be potentially marketable.

For what it's worth, I hope you keep thinking about this. You might find a way to eventually get such an idea off the ground. You'll likely need help, but then it may be out there as well.

Last edited:
Actually you're doing pretty good when contemplating the prospects. A lot of people fail to do even that.

* You see that being self-employed and being an Aspie are a good fit. They are.
* You recognize the possibility of success for any new venture is precarious. Many last no more than three years. You understand the risk.
* You recognize the most pressing need for any new venture. To have adequate capitalization. Often the toughest part of the equation.
* You recognize the need to carefully determine something you are good at which could be potentially marketable.

For what it's worth, I hope you keep thinking about this. You might find a way to eventually get such an idea off the ground. You'll likely need help, but then it may be out there as well.

In my experience, I'd say knowing the market potential and price points is more crucial than capitalization. I've seen/heard cases where people just didn't know what the market was like, or what the pricing structure was.

In my experience, I'd say knowing the market potential and price points is more crucial than capitalization. I've seen/heard cases where people just didn't know what the market was like, or what the pricing structure was.

In a very specific market, perhaps. But then we aren't talking about specific markets, but rather the nebulous possibilities and considerations of new ventures in general.

Skillful perception of marketing and pricing are certainly important considerations, but they won't necessarily transcend unforeseen circumstances beyond your control. Especially in a precarious economy. Adequate capitalization is more likely to temper such situations. The goal being sustainability reflecting sufficient capitalization to withstand a period of approximately three years before actually making a clear profit. A span of time which reflects when an awful lot of new ventures fail (in the United States).

It's a basic tenet of underwriting commercial new ventures in general. Something I did professionally for nearly two decades.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom