• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Crazy Landlord Problems!

Lysander

I mean it literally: CRAZY. HELP ME, PLEASE!

Ok, here's the problem: I'm an aspie and I live with my landlord, who is much less mentally fit than I am. Actually, she's a vicious cow!

She's constantly making digs at me! Tonight, she wouldn't stop yelling at me. I sat down to eat dinner by myself and she yells across the house "you're passive aggressive! You're always doing all these little things so people will see (WTF does that mean anyway?) because you don't have the courage to just say it". AND THEN, when I went into the living room to call a friend, she follows me in and yells "you're not allowed to use the television without my permission. Your rent doesn't cover tv and you don't get to have run of the house" NEWS TO ME: and I wasn't even using the tv.

She does not respond to reason or compassion. What a passive-aggressive bully! She's so two-faced, I didn't expect her to act like this.

PLEASE HELP ME!

I'm looking for a better place now, but it could be a while until I can move out, because this is such ho-bunk city. Advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Wow this is really messed up. I can't suggest anything useful but I would be annoyed if I was in your shoes right now.

I mean it literally: CRAZY. HELP ME, PLEASE!

Ok, here's the problem: I'm an aspie and I live with my landlord, who is much less mentally fit than I am. Actually, she's a vicious cow!

She's constantly making digs at me! Tonight, she wouldn't stop yelling at me. I sat down to eat dinner by myself and she yells across the house "you're passive aggressive! You're always doing all these little things so people will see (WTF does that mean anyway?) because you don't have the courage to just say it". AND THEN, when I went into the living room to call a friend, she follows me in and yells "you're not allowed to use the television without my permission. Your rent doesn't cover tv and you don't get to have run of the house" NEWS TO ME: and I wasn't even using the tv.

She does not respond to reason or compassion. What a passive-aggressive bully! She's so two-faced, I didn't expect her to act like this.

PLEASE HELP ME!

I'm looking for a better place now, but it could be a while until I can move out, because this is such ho-bunk city. Advice is greatly appreciated!!!

I've been there. It got to the point my Boyfriend wouldn't call because she was so mean to him, she wouldn't let me keep my toothbrush in the bathroom, and she told me computers and phone use will be added to my rent since my use cost her so much (when I moved in she said she had unlimited plan AND I used the comp once a day for like 1/2 an hour) finally I just moved out.

She cried the whole time I was moving out like she didn't push me out too, so prepare for some fallout.

Just tell yourself it will be over soon as you look for a new place. Living with a person like that is Poison.
GET OUT!

Sounds like a plan. Simply leaving is probably your best option under such circumstances. In the meantime try to avoid your landlord in as much as is possible. However you do have options as Ereth posted.

From your introduction it sounds like you have a professional diagnosis which might be instrumental in determining if this is a violation of the Fair Housing Act. Whether or not the Dept. of Housing and Urban development (HUD) construes your mental/neurological condition to constitute a "disability".

What Is Housing Discrimination?

You also have to weigh the potential of a slow federal bureaucracy against an immediate potential fallout from someone who may be mentally oblivious as to their federal obligations as a landlord.

Last edited:
Is your landlady a drinker, or is she just mentally unstable? Because that's what it sounds like to me. That's just a load of abusive crap she's giving you. I'm sorry for your situation. I hope you will be able to find something soon. Have you tried those online sites like www.roommates.com? I'd certainly turn her in to the Fair Housing department one way or the other. It's just not right to treat people that way.

Last edited:
HIDE. And pray for a quick move. Might be smarter to click the links others have provided. So go hide somewhere and click on them?

Wow, you guys really came with the calvalry! Thank-you so much, each and every poster, for your helpful and supportive feedback!!

I will definitely take your advice and vanish from the face of this rental disaster. I've spoken with my roommate a bit and he's had the same problems. #1: Vanish, #2: Report humpty-dumpty the cracked landlord, 'cause no one's putting that back together again, soldier.

I think you're on to something with the Drunk-Hypothesis. I did notice a considerable stash of alcohol in the pantry (which she sequesters completely for her own use) while exercising my kitchen "privileges" one day. I'm not very good at reading changes in other's mood, but her affect reminded me of some abusive folks I've encountered and who, in hindsight, were also drinkers. Unfortunately for her, it appears that her pre-existing mental condition is being further deteriorated by substance abuse. EW EW EW.

I donated a boatload of unneeded things when I moved, so this time, it's going to be a breeze.

New Threads

Top Bottom