• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Coping Strategies

emo.nerd.4.life

Hey so I need some advice/help from y'all. Do any of you guys having some coping strategies/mechanisms for shutdowns/meltdowns? I mostly shutdown when I experience overload, but when I meltdown, I cry and I don't handle myself very well...

Usually when I feel very stressed and am scared that I am close to a meltdown, I pick up a mandala and do some coloring for 5-10 minutes if the situation allows. I recently had a labor day meltdown and did not handle it very well at all. I had to leave the family get together. The prevailing advice that I've received is to find a moment to meditate which I can't do when I am in full blown meltdown. Therefore, I (usually) keep my binder of mandalas and some colored pencils nearby. I really wish I knew what triggered that meltdown because I handled being at a large wedding with no issue at all.

Usually when I feel very stressed and am scared that I am close to a meltdown, I pick up a mandala and do some coloring for 5-10 minutes if the situation allows. I recently had a labor day meltdown and did not handle it very well at all. I had to leave the family get together. The prevailing advice that I've received is to find a moment to meditate which I can't do when I am in full blown meltdown. Therefore, I (usually) keep my binder of mandalas and some colored pencils nearby. I really wish I knew what triggered that meltdown because I handled being at a large wedding with no issue at all.

thx mattymat! i have a coloring app on my phone and i love it but the problem is most of the times that i overload are at school, and they have a zero tolerance policy. maybe i'll try bringing coloring books with me...

I know what my triggers are and avoid putting myself in stressful situations which might lead to a meltddown.
I stim or pace when I start to feel stressed.
I try to remove myself from the situation and calm myself down - go out for a walk if I'm in a supermarket, for example.

thx mattymat! i have a coloring app on my phone and i love it but the problem is most of the times that i overload are at school, and they have a zero tolerance policy. maybe i'll try bringing coloring books with me...
You're very welcome. I've tried a coloring app on my phone and have found that it isn't the same. When focusing on coloring a mandala with actual colored pencils, I found I can reduce the sensations that I am experiencing to the pressure that I am gripping the pencil with and the amount of pressure I am applying to the paper. Furthermore, I can concentrate on making smooth, even strokes with the pencil.

I know what my triggers are and avoid putting myself in stressful situations which might lead to a meltddown.
I stim or pace when I start to feel stressed.
I try to remove myself from the situation and calm myself down - go out for a walk if I'm in a supermarket, for example

Pretty much exactly the same here.

Sometimes something just pops up and surprises you and there ya go. I agree with learning to avoid situations that you know are going to cause a meltdown. I have one sister that I have to avoid. After both our parents passed she was more determined than ever for the family to stay close and I tried. After a couple encounters that she was saying things to me that were extremely hurtful, even after I would say to stop and she'd continue I ended up getting my stuff, leaving and having a week long meltdown. I have a period in my life that I have PTSD from and my family are all aware to leave that subject alone. But she started. I had to leave. When I got home she emailed me to say more. I told her to drop it right there because she knows it throws me into reliving the experience and for the next week or more it's like it just happened. Did she leave it alone? No. I guess she is one of those who can't leave something alone when you say enough. I tried a few times to only be around her if my other sister was present, but it ended up that I just can't have any communication with her. So avoidance is the safest.

Always have headphones on hand and a smartphone, Ipad, Ipod or similar, so you can listen to music that you like when you start feeling overwhelmed.

I don't have an actual diagnosis, but according to the neurologist, I have many symptoms of autism, one of which being meltdowns. Whenever I feel overwhelmed, if the situation allows it I'll listen to music or write.

New Threads

Top Bottom