• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Coping strategies for being in public

Thanks for the ideas & commiseration. Today I am so dull and tired, I can't seem to stir up any energy at all. I've always had to plan days off after big shopping days, never really understood why, just didn't do taxing public things too many days in a row.

I understand it now, and I'm trying to feel ok about it, but I also just feel like a real loser for being so depleted by a shopping trip. Knowing it's my nature in this deep way now, it's harder to say "it was just a bad day".
Have bananas ,tomatoes,peanuts ,figs or dates you will get a bonus amino acid tryptophan (comfort ,happiness)and potassium

It sounds like you like to order the same things. Maybe order a certain amount but do it online so that you get delivery for free. That way, you don't have to go to the store to get annoyed by the crowds or the re-arranging in a store.
I wish this were possible! I'm in a rural area and there is no grocery delivery here. Overall, I love where I live, it's so quiet and peaceful, but sometimes my limitations and those of this place are at odds with each other.

Have bananas ,tomatoes,peanuts ,figs or dates you will get a bonus amino acid tryptophan (comfort ,happiness)and potassium
That's a great idea. I think if I had been munching on something I enjoy, it would have helped. And I could eat my weight in figs & dates ;)

Have everything delivered! But if not, then medication could make it actually enjoyable! There's also deep breathing and fidget toys. Fidget toys help me a lot. Stretchy noodle!! :cool:
I need to look for some fidget toys, for sure. Something to do with my hands would have helped, I think. Thanks!

I wish this were possible! I'm in a rural area and there is no grocery delivery here. Overall, I love where I live, it's so quiet and peaceful, but sometimes my limitations and those of this place are at odds with each other.
Consider growing tomatoes the smell of warm tomato is unique!try raisins or sultanas also dried hunza apricots you need a mix of everything also dried coconut for the immune system and it's slow release sugar, you'll feel calmer than sweets(candy),chocolate, which have refined sugar which is classified as a gateway drug

Consider growing tomatoes the smell of warm tomato is unique!try raisins or sultanas also dried hunza apricots you need a mix of everything also dried coconut for the immune system and it's slow release sugar, you'll feel calmer than sweets(candy),chocolate, which have refined sugar which is classified as a gateway drug
You are so right about the sugar. I get really hungry when I'm out sometimes, and whenever I give in to the candy temptation, I feel so much worse after. I usually munch on some nuts, but I like the dried fruit idea.

And I have a big garden! It's starting to wake up from winter, just had some asparagus last night, and planting tomato seeds tomorrow. I used to think I hated tomatoes, until I grew them.

You are so right about the sugar. I get really hungry when I'm out sometimes, and whenever I give in to the candy temptation, I feel so much worse after. I usually munch on some nuts, but I like the dried fruit idea.

And I have a big garden! It's starting to wake up from winter, just had some asparagus last night, and planting tomato seeds tomorrow. I used to think I hated tomatoes, until I grew them.
I wasn't a fan of tomatoes ,maybe because i knew they are part of the nightshade family ,deadly nightshade was used as a method of murder in the UK ,poison was popular,same strangely with aubergine ,but I like!!!! them now ,when you plant leave wild(weeds) plants very near to them ,so insects have potent vegetable matter to eat and they will not eat as much of your crop, it's called companion planting ,definitely try maize (corn)as it's indigenous and has that needed sugar ,I got seeds from eBay USA, as I was sending them to someone (he lives in northern Wisconsin)who has a small amount of land and his pet goose loves kale ,they were organic scotch curly kale seeds.

I wasn't a fan of tomatoes ,maybe because i knew they are part of the nightshade family ,deadly nightshade was used as a method of murder in the UK ,poison was popular,same strangely with aubergine ,but I like!!!! them now ,when you plant leave wild(weeds) plants very near to them ,so insects have potent vegetable matter to eat and they will not eat as much of your crop, it's called companion planting ,definitely try maize (corn)as it's indigenous and has that needed sugar ,I got seeds from eBay USA, as I was sending them to someone (he lives in northern Wisconsin)who has a small amount of land and his pet goose loves kale ,they were organic scotch curly kale seeds.
I grew up on a corn farm, I miss the smell of the plants and the sound they make in the wind. But now, I am in Oregon, near the ocean, so corn is difficult here, it likes more heat.

But kale! I have SO MUCH KALE!!! It grows like crazy here, I let it reseed itself so I always have some. We eat it fresh all winter, sometimes it's the only thing going out there.

Companion planting is a great practice, so much better for the ecosystem and the garden, and it's more peaceful to not feel like you are fighting nature.

I grew up on a corn farm, I miss the smell of the plants and the sound they make in the wind. But now, I am in Oregon, near the ocean, so corn is difficult here, it likes more heat.

But kale! I have SO MUCH KALE!!! It grows like crazy here, I let it reseed itself so I always have some. We eat it fresh all winter, sometimes it's the only thing going out there.

Companion planting is a great practice, so much better for the ecosystem and the garden, and it's more peaceful to not feel like you are fighting nature.
To me companion planting is cheaper than pesticides,less work than dragging out wild plants,wish I could digest fibre, I love it ,but I can't ,what root vegetables are indigenous to North America ?,we have turnip(swede),leeks, in n.e.England,also green beans have a lot of tryptophan (happy chemical)along with peanuts,wow if only Bob that cares for the pet goose could get to Oregon, that goose loves!!! Kale and corn I've never seen corn stripped within an inch of its life and watermelon ,Bob feeds everything and George makes sure he gets some of whatever he puts out,he's going to plant an orchard when he gets manure ,somebody sold all of the top soil,before he bought the land.

To me companion planting is cheaper than pesticides,less work than dragging out wild plants,wish I could digest fibre, I love it ,but I can't ,what root vegetables are indigenous to North America ?,we have turnip(swede),leeks, in n.e.England,also green beans have a lot of tryptophan (happy chemical)along with peanuts,wow if only Bob that cares for the pet goose could get to Oregon, that goose loves!!! Kale and corn I've never seen corn stripped within an inch of its life and watermelon ,Bob feeds everything and George makes sure he gets some of whatever he puts out,he's going to plant an orchard when he gets manure ,somebody sold all of the top soil,before he bought the land.
I also use herbs and other useful plants for my companion plants, so they contribute to the whole garden that way, too. I like chamomile, creeping thyme, and dill especially to grow all around my vegetables.

I don't know what root veggies are native to here, except potatoes from South America. I grow 3 kinds of those, they do really well here. The farm near me grows turnips, leeks, and also green beans, so I can get good ones from them.

I wonder if geese eat garden slugs and snails the way ducks do? I have a lot of slugs right now, none of my lettuce has made it to salad for me yet this spring.

I also use herbs and other useful plants for my companion plants, so they contribute to the whole garden that way, too. I like chamomile, creeping thyme, and dill especially to grow all around my vegetables.

I don't know what root veggies are native to here, except potatoes from South America. I grow 3 kinds of those, they do really well here. The farm near me grows turnips, leeks, and also green beans, so I can get good ones from them.

I wonder if geese eat garden slugs and snails the way ducks do? I have a lot of slugs right now, none of my lettuce has made it to salad for me yet this spring.
If you have something like a dandelion or burdock keep those beside the lettuce (if you can make a raised area so creatures find it harder to climb)they are more filling for the creatures that consume them ,geese(wild geese eat an occasional insect) take a lot of care, better to let the ecosystem eat the slugs, keep an uncut area of your land for carnivores to hide\sleep in.
The herbs(thyme,dill,chamomile) are still full of sugar if you find dandelions plant them beside your herbs.

If you have something like a dandelion or burdock keep those beside the lettuce (if you can make a raised area so creatures find it harder to climb)they are more filling for the creatures that consume them ,geese(wild geese eat an occasional insect) take a lot of care, better to let the ecosystem eat the slugs, keep an uncut area of your land for carnivores to hide\sleep in.
The herbs(thyme,dill,chamomile) are still full of sugar if you find dandelions plant them beside your herbs.
I do have dandelions everywhere here, they are a super useful herb, food, medicine, plant, I agree. And I have about 2 acres that are basically uncultivated, there are so many wild creatures out there- deer, quail, rabbits, hawks, it's wonderful.

I don't think there are really any sugars in the herbs, they are mostly for the taste and for the healing chemistry and tonic properties they bring. Also, those three attract great beneficial insects that fight off the bad bugs. It's so interesting, the tiny universe of my garden.

New Threads

Top Bottom