• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cooking, are you good or do you suck at it?

My wife has tremors, so I do all of the cooking for us. However, I am not a very good cook. We are always looking for something new. A few weeks ago we got a air fryer. It works good, but is very, very slow. As far as I'm concerned, I can do the same thing in the microwave. Only a lot faster.

If I am going to cook slow, I use a crock pot. For a stew, roast or ham & beans, it is very good. Put everything together and turn it on in the morning. Six or seven hours later you have a wonderful meal, ready to eat.
French fries suck in a microwave, plus reheated food is never the same either.
I seldom use my 'nukers ;)

My neighbor turned me on to air fryers with the added bonus of not requiring any oil for previously blanched foods.
I chucked my deep fryer into the trash about a month later.
And yes, patience is a virtue when cooking :p

I used sun tea today combined with fresh squeezed lemons and a touch of sugar to make my version of homemade Arnold Palmers
I just sampled my first batch of Arnold Palmers this season and I must say that once again, it turned out fantabulous :D

20210609_135045.jpg

This has been an enjoyable thread. I don't use an Instant Pot or any slow cooker, actually. I don't use an air fryer, either. If I can cook something in the microwave, oven, or range top, then we're good. You can slow cook things in a dutch oven on top of the stove; or I will roast chicken breasts at 325 and they come out nicely tender.

I have a pet peeve about kitchen gadgets that are superfluous. There is very little prep that can't be done with a good set of knives. I have been getting rid of nonstick pans for a few years now, replacing them with stainless steel which can, if necessary, be scoured; I don't like to cook anything at all in plastic and I include Teflon and other nonstick surfaces in that category.

Ask me about my coconut macaroons sometime. They are to die for.

I’m a pretty good cook when it comes to flavors and figuring out what works together. I also have a great repertoire of dishes to cook from memory. Buuut I’m clumsy as hell and my motor skills aren’t great (hello, apraxia!) so my knife skills aren’t necessarily something to write home about and cutting ingredients takes me a long time.

Still, I like cooking. It relaxes me and I generally enjoy doing it. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen, when life allows it. And the boyfriend does not mind :D

I do a lot of pot in the pot cooking in mine because it eliminates cleaning the machine's pot and steam grate each time I use it.
For the most part, a stainless bowl will suffice and all I have to do with the machine is dump out the water in the pot and wipe it dry.
Never seal the lid on one during storage either, because it holds in moisture and may create a new problem.
Explain pot in the pot cooking.

This has been an enjoyable thread. I don't use an Instant Pot or any slow cooker, actually. I don't use an air fryer, either. If I can cook something in the microwave, oven, or range top, then we're good. You can slow cook things in a dutch oven on top of the stove; or I will roast chicken breasts at 325 and they come out nicely tender.

I have a pet peeve about kitchen gadgets that are superfluous. There is very little prep that can't be done with a good set of knives. I have been getting rid of nonstick pans for a few years now, replacing them with stainless steel which can, if necessary, be scoured; I don't like to cook anything at all in plastic and I include Teflon and other nonstick surfaces in that category.

Ask me about my coconut macaroons sometime. They are to die for.
I don't know how to make macaroons. In my house, we go through a lot of them around Passover, but they're always store bought. I have made some really yummy coconut kisses before and I wonder if it's a similar recipe. You mix sugar, coconut, egg white, and corn flakes together and then form little haystacks and bake them.

Instant Pot and steam grate
20210609_154937.jpg

Stainless bowl
20210609_154941.jpg

Combo
20210609_154947.jpg

This isolated the cooking mess from the steam grate which can be a pita to clean

I have very few cooking skills, I only use the microwave and toaster oven. I just never really learned correctly. Mom became rather impatient trying to teach me because I had so much trouble. I can't hold the knife right because my motor skills are off and my executive functioning issues have also caused some issues. At one point I may try to find someone who knows something about disabilities to help me.

I did quite well in Home Ec but more recently when I lived alone, the lure of ready meals ensnared me. However, usually now I make a complex salad and add salmon or chicken or ham. Growing some of the salad this year too, leaves and beets and carrots and tomatoes. I like gardening and growing plants for food.

Instant Pot and steam grate
View attachment 68229
Stainless bowl
View attachment 68230
Combo
View attachment 68231

This isolated the cooking mess from the steam grate which can be a pita to clean

Thanks for pics, wasn't sure what instant pot was. I do have a air fryer but for some strange reason it is sitting in my bathroom. I learned cornflakes make really crunchy coatings and it's simple to do. I nuke sweet potatoes in this red little pocket thing, it cooks things really fast. I love slow cookers, rice cookers too.

I think I forked over about $10 for my Instant Pot at a Goodwill just to try one out.
It had a broken handle on it that detracts from it being perfect, but at a decent introductory price :p
Thanks for pics, wasn't sure what instant pot was. I do have a air fryer but for some strange reason it is sitting in my bathroom. I learned cornflakes make really crunchy coatings and it's simple to do. I nuke sweet potatoes in this red little pocket thing, it cooks things really fast. I love slow cookers, rice cookers too.
That is just the cooking pot out of one.
An Instant Pot is actually a glorified plug in pressure cooker with some pretty cool electronic controls on it.
It has a pressure relief on it and can also be set to start and finish on a timer with the ability to keep the food warm with additional settings.
After it warms up which takes about ten minutes or so, it actually cooks the food fairly quick.
I have several sizes of crock pots too, but I actually prefer using my BBQ pit crock cooker over them.

20210609_190341.jpg

I make tacos, curries and wings that can be used to measure somebody’s masculinity with the heat I infuse them with.

I don't know how to make macaroons. In my house, we go through a lot of them around Passover, but they're always store bought. I have made some really yummy coconut kisses before and I wonder if it's a similar recipe. You mix sugar, coconut, egg white, and corn flakes together and then form little haystacks and bake them.
I think this is the basic recipe I used:
Coconut Macaroons - Once Upon a Chef

I do dip the bottom of the macaroons in melted chocolate but instead of semisweet chocolate, I use Lindt 70% cocoa dark chocolate. These freeze well if you want to bake ahead for a tray of miscellaneous Christmas cookies. But if you don't get them in the freezer quickly, they are likely to disappear fast!

Good cook, or so my husband says. My husband eats and likes everything. He is not autistic. It is so refreshing to have my cooking appreciated, after raising two autistic kids who never liked anything I made other than pizza or Kraft mac 'n' cheese.

Kraft mac’n’cheese is like a Twinkie, food of the gods! Even lactose intolerant, I miss Kraft mac’n’cheese the most! They put something addicting in in lol.

I got a husband like your too in that he will eat and likes most everything good thing he can cook though. I’m prolly aspie with the eating too, will pick one thing for about a week but we do the “juicing” for vitamins sake for our health. My favorite foods are coffee and hard candy, candy is favorite food. All kinds of candy, but not a fan of Hershey cause of their child labor - that does make a difference with me.

I make tacos, curries and wings that can be used to measure somebody’s masculinity with the heat I infuse them with.

I disagree, to me a measure of a mans masculinity is how he treats a lady.

As far as food being hot, bring it on! Queen of Ghost Peppers here! Love me some Habanero’s too. My neighbors from India couldn’t make food too hot for me, send the recipe I’m ready lol! :) (Ps: I’m not masculine at all, very girly)

I like to cook but it's a hit or a miss. I typically don't have time to put a lot of energy into making food so i rely on a rice cooker and steamed veggies a lot. The veggies sometimes turn out really mushy and sad but if i have the time and enthusiasm I've made some really tasty things, especially when i have the kitchen to myself. I'm a better baker than cook though i think- i really enjoy being able to experiment with odd flavour combinations in baking.

I like to cook but it's a hit or a miss. I typically don't have time to put a lot of energy into making food so i rely on a rice cooker and steamed veggies a lot. The veggies sometimes turn out really mushy and sad but if i have the time and enthusiasm I've made some really tasty things, especially when i have the kitchen to myself. I'm a better baker than cook though i think- i really enjoy being able to experiment with odd flavour combinations in baking.
I used to steam vegetables, but nowadays I prefer to stir-fry them. Since you are frequently looking at them, you can detect if any are getting overcooked but usually, stir-frying means getting them just to the al dente stage.

The residual effects of my TBI renders me with moments of short term memory issues and a lack of smell.
That being said, I have to use strategies such as loud timers that get set before the fires are lit so I don't burn down my home.
My smartphone comes in handy for that because it offers all of those features and fits in my pocket.
Automated kitchen equipment is a godsend because it simplifies the process for me and keeps me safer.
Yes, to some, I probably have too much of it, but to me, I can't possibly have enough when my life is on the line over preparing a meal.

I have designed a piggy-back system that I can produce for under $100 that involves the same electrical plugs and outlets used on common electrical kitchen ranges sold in the USA.
It will shut down the entire range right at the power source.
If I get it started and it takes off, adding European units to the product line should be just as easy.
In essence, it is a simple pigtail with a limited timer circuit that will be plug and play.
They will have simple spring wound mechanical timers on the wall mount with a one hour limit on the runtime.
The target markets will be the brain injured community and the dementia patients who could all benefit from them.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom