• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cooking, are you good or do you suck at it?

ForestGumpett

I’m terrible, even burn rice and over boil potatoes.

Do most of you suck at cooking, or are you hyper at paying attention and really good at it? Anybody do it for a living like it’s their speciality?

It's a learned thing. Make enough recipes and you will learn how to get by. I am not a good cook and I don't enjoy it, but I can follow recipes and even deviate a bit.

Also...get an Instant Pot and you will always have perfect rice and potatoes! It's a good start and investment. ;)

Last edited:
I burned tea. That is a true story. Twice!

I'm okay at cooking and baking. Sometimes there's a bit of stress when the recipe requires that I make several things at once, though. It helps to measure and sort your ingredients beforehand, though.

I think I'm pretty good at it.
The reward is getting to taste the final results.

I did a steak night at a friend's tavern for a few years.
She set me up with a commercial kitchen grille and we as a team provided what many considered outstanding meals.

I'm real big on All Clad Metals cookware and cast iron too.
I honestly believe there is a huge difference in cookware.

I would say no. Not based on really being a poor cook so much as having little interest (OCD) in having to make the inevitable mess in the kitchen. Though I like to bake things on occasion.

Even making dinner for myself, more often than not I'll clean the utensils and put them away before I actually begin to eat what I made. Yeah. :oops:

On occasion I do buy fast food, take it home and add my own condiments. Can't call it cooking though...lol.

Last edited:
Well okay then, and Instant Pot it is! I’ve been told that before, and with everyone saying it then it must be so. I’ve tried everything else, a timer works but it’s a lot of getting up and down due to not being able to keep the heat correct on the gas grill. Honestly, I hate gas cooking and really miss the electric. Didn’t burn half as much with the electric stove top.

May be ADD or something haven’t been tested and don’t plan on it but I do get distracted and that is how a lot ends up burning. Oh look, a pretty butterfly.....and off I go o_O

I'm real big on All Clad Metals cookware and cast iron too.
I honestly believe there is a huge difference in cookware.

The weight of the cast iron makes it difficult for me. My husband cooks with it and agrees, says the taste is better but I just don’t because of the weight. It takes two hands for me to be able to pick up one cast iron skillet. I do love it when he cooks the salmon with bbq sauce on it in that skillet it is better!

Well okay then, and Instant Pot it is! I’ve been told that before, and with everyone saying it then it must be so. I’ve tried everything else, a timer works but it’s a lot of getting up and down due to not being able to keep the heat correct on the gas grill. Honestly, I hate gas cooking and really miss the electric. Didn’t burn half as much with the electric stove top.

May be ADD or something haven’t been tested and don’t plan on it but I do get distracted and that is how a lot ends up burning. Oh look, a pretty butterfly.....and off I go o_O
I actually prefer gas to electric ranges.

IyBuxM.gif

I actually prefer gas to electric ranges.

Yes most people do from what I’m told. It makes me cuss, I get so mad when things fall through the grill and this happens every times I go near the machine. I hate it with a passion lol, am praying when we move to be able to have an electric stove again. Guess it’s the clean up, much easier to clean AND I do not like that fire coming up, my great grandma caught her apron on fire with one of those - you are not alone in liking them, but still, cannot wait to have electric again! :p

I used to make up a dry rub for chicken wings a chef taught me that I always felt was over the top. It was equal parts of white pepper, garlic powder and MSG.
The wings were placed in a paper bag right out of the fryer with it and shaken to thoroughly coat them.

No sauce mess from your elbows to your ears that way :p

I aim to & usually manage to make tasty use of local food. I suppose it’s a creactive outlet, plus the veggies & other foods grown around here are inspiring because they’re beautiful & fesh.
Cooking & baking can also be comforting & therapeutic. After a workout there’s nothing like having homemade food already waiting.
:)

Yes, I cook and like to cook. We do so everyday once or twice, so I get alot of practice - not sure that means I'm very good.....
love to use the stove, oven and (especially) bbq to prep food :)
I am enjoying it even more since going plant based a couple of years ago, just seems like suddenly I am discovering so many new ingredients and cooking techniques like walnut bolognese sauce, jack fruit gyros or banana flower 'fish in batter' .
Alot of great recipies on Insta I try out.
Of course not everything turns out brilliant - at all! D-)

Good cook, or so my husband says. My husband eats and likes everything. He is not autistic. It is so refreshing to have my cooking appreciated, after raising two autistic kids who never liked anything I made other than pizza or Kraft mac 'n' cheese.

New Threads

Top Bottom