• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Controversial - Android or iOS?

leehart

V.I.P Member
Hi all, I love technology was wondering what folks prefer?

I have a Samsung phone which I love for many reasons and an iPad which is great too so I sit on the fence. Both are really good but have obvious weaknesses too.

I'm used to iOS, have had an iPhone for over 10 years so it's what I'm used to. I also have a Samsung Galaxy as my work phone. Because I'm used to iOS I struggle a little with using it.
I think if I'd always had an Android phone, I'd prefer those, but as it is, iOS is more intuitive to me because of its familiarity.

I liked the droids - one of the things I liked best about the droid is that I could put my own music on the phone and use that music for ringtones and stuff. I phone don't let you and don't even let you use a song you may have purchased for a ring tone - you have to purchase a ring tone separately. I switched to I phone so I can facetime with my grandkids, which you can't do with the droid.

I'm a strict Android user.

I tried the apple stuff and don't favor the restrictions placed on them.
I didn't find them any easier to use.

I'm a strict Android user.

I tried the apple stuff and don't favor the restrictions placed on them.
I didn't find them any easier to use.
I’m kinda leaning that way too. I use an iPad because android tablet updates are not good at all. My phone though is android and I really like it. I’ve been using Samsung for a few years now and they have some really good apps.

Due an update in April and pondering what I should go for.

I’m kinda leaning that way too. I use an iPad because android tablet updates are not good at all. My phone though is android and I really like it. I’ve been using Samsung for a few years now and they have some really good apps.

Due an update in April and pondering what I should go for.
I'm strapped to my Galaxy S9 until May.

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

Android guy here, though I didn't mind Apple, as I did have a 1st gen then later, a 3rd iPod touch and a 1st Gen iPad Mini

I went from a Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime which I had for ~ 2 1/2 years give or take, to my current Samsung Galaxy S7 which is over a year and a half old, will be 2 years in February. And am looking to go with the Pixel 3a once my Tab with Koodo's finished.

I also rooted both my phones as well.

The pixel 3a is very much on my radar, kinda hoping by April we know if a 4a will be a thing. I have the Samsung A50 just now as I have my note to my wife (long story). The A50 is a really good phone I have to say but the camera struggles a bit.

The pixel 3a is very much on my radar, kinda hoping by April we know if a 4a will be a thing. I have the Samsung A50 just now as I have my note to my wife (long story). The A50 is a really good phone I have to say but the camera struggles a bit.
I bought my S9 specifically based on it's camera functions.
At the time, it had the best frame rate for super slow motion video.
The still camera isn't all that bad and can take non-flash pictures in near total darkness.

I bought my S9 specifically based on it's camera functions.
At the time, it had the best frame rate for super slow motion video.
The still camera isn't all that bad and can take non-flash pictures in near total darkness.
My first Samsung was an s8 and it took really good photos too, really liked that phone. I'm keen to see what the s11 brings but fear the price will be crazy high which I can't be bothered with. Hopefully with the iPhone price drops Samsung goes the same way.

Yeah I was gonna go w/ the regular Pixel 3 but saw you have to use a dreaded USB-C to 3.5mm jack adapter just to use a pair of ear buds/headphones. Plus the 3a basically has all the same features for less and has a 3.5mm jack to boot.

I decided to try Android and hate it. It has a lot of weird glitches. I can't wait until it breaks enough for me to feel okay with buying a new phone.

Last edited:
I decided to try Android and hate it. It has a lot of weird glitches. I can't wait until breaks enough for me to feel okay with buying a new phone.
Really? What phone did you get? I've found my Samsung's to be more stable than I did my iPhone. It's a shame you are not enjoying it, hopefully you don't have to put up with it for too long.

I was given an iPad a few months back and it's OK. Not a convert and it's not getting much use. Everything I can do on the iPad I can do on Android, but the iPad doesn't do everything my android devices do or do them quite as well. Preference is largely going to depend on how you use your devices, how much flexibility you want and how many restrictions you're willing to tolerate. And price of course. Most people don't use their handhelds to anywhere near their potential or even know what they're capable of so initial choice often comes down to fashion.

Been using Huawei phones the last few years after several Samsungs. Best pocket devices I've owned in bang-for-buck terms.

Really? What phone did you get? I've found my Samsung's to be more stable than I did my iPhone. It's a shame you are not enjoying it, hopefully you don't have to put up with it for too long.
If I Could buy a phone made from the mineral indestructible and it floated beside me !and operated for me I would be happy ,I haven’t damaged an iPhone yet (never had one )but I have damaged an iPad,And which genius ever thought the microphones on mobile phones (cell phones )would ever replace talking to somebody face-to-face.

I like Android and my last 3 phones have been android. But, I go through phones pretty quickly, because I drop them a lot. The phone I have right now is the second phone where the speaker and mic are going out because I dropped it too much. I try really hard to make a phone last two years, but it's touch and go. I even use LifeProof cases.

My wife and kids all have iPhones, and they seem to last longer. My wife's last phone lasted her 5 or 6 years.

I don't know if an iPhone would last longer if it was my iPhone.

Thank you!

I got a Galaxy Note 8.

The reason it seriously bothers me is because it messes with music listening, which is one of the primary reasons I get a phone. It does this thing where it keeps activating and deactivating voice control on its own, pausing and unpausing the music, and "ghost touch," where random spots on the phone are tapped on its own.

I switched to Android because Apple kept breaking rather quickly for me. Ironically, now it's a problem that it won't break!

For the longest time I would have said iOS. But then the accursed things started to slow down, more and more, as Apple's bad updates or whatever corrupted them. Frankly I have no idea what did it, but SOMETHING did it, and for once it wasnt my doing. My iPad went from "amazing" to "wouldnt care if it broke today" without any action on my part. Is this on purpose? Is this their way to get me to buy another one? Yeah, I sure do want another freaking Apple product after seeing that one go full derp.

This also was before the "App-pocalypse" where they decided that they were going to update to 64 bit from 32 bit or some nonsense. Meaning that most older programs would instantly and permanently break, unless they received an update from their developers. I used to really love using my iPad as a mobile gaming machine, but that's because I knew where to get games that werent crap. Now, it's VERY hard to find ones that arent just mobile greed farms. Havent bought a game on there in ages. I only use it to play those old ones that arent awful. So the thing has stayed with an old version of the OS... refused to update it to the point where the switch happened. Which, again, was AFTER the thing slowed to a stupid crawl. Even without the games, I wouldnt exactly have been excited for more updates.

And of course, being an Apple device, it's not like I can just go in and make changes myself. Nope.

At this point, the thing is a glorified noise machine. That's most of it's function. It helps me sleep. Often it gets knocked to the floor when I go to shut it up in the morning, and... yeah at this point I dont care.

I also have an iPhone, but it sure as heck wasnt my idea. I dont really use it for anything other than a flashlight and a map. I've never liked phones.

I've never used an Android device, but surely they cant be THAT bad. That being said, my interest in owning a stupid tablet is extremely low at this point. Even if I did get one, most of the games on there are trash, so what the heck would I do with it? Use it as a frisbee?

Android here. I own a OnePlus 7 on Android 10 beta version 3. Not a fan of the gestures on it although I still use it. You swipe up to remove a tab and sometimes it just closes back on the home page - that's not what I asked to do.

But I don't mind too much. I opted for the beta version anyway and I couldn't switch to Apple now. I'm fed up of always giving out my email address to every bloody thing. Call it a petty reason if you must.

I've never used an Android device, but surely they cant be THAT bad. That being said, my interest in owning a stupid tablet is extremely low at this point. Even if I did get one, most of the games on there are trash, so what the heck would I do with it? Use it as a frisbee?

It depends on your lifestyle. I'm married so tablets allow me to have a window to the internet whilst I'm in the living room with my wife. Most of my postings are done via one of my tablets, currently mainly my Huawei Mediapad. I also watch YouTube quite a lot, in bed and in the bath, so I have a 10" Teclast tablet I use for that. I do most of my reading on tablets (prose & comics), most of my shopping and no matter what we're watching on TV I have to have IMDB immediately at hand.

I know your lifestyle is quite different to mine so there might not be as many uses for them for you, but for me they're invaluable devices.

My phone is basically a mini-tablet for out of the house, a camera (stills & video), notepad, calculator, media player (plugs into any HDMI port with an adaptor), torch, mirror, voice recorder, video conference platform & more. My previous phone is a dedicated music player now - lives in the kitchen & the car.

New Threads

Top Bottom