• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Community

Outdated

I'm from the other end of the spectrum.
V.I.P Member
Be warned, this is going to be a very long read.

Twice in my life I have experienced being part of a community. Genuinely part of the community, accepted as I am with all my weirdness and still loved and respected. That’s twice more than many of you will ever experience. To explain what I mean is a long story though, it’s difficult to explain real life in a few short words.

I’m a high function ASD2 empath with no other comorbities. I managed to have a very successful life but I was always a bit out there, a bit left field, weird. As a teenager, I started work at 16, I was born in to a golden era. It didn’t last very long but in Australia we had finally smashed the grip of religion over our society and anyone that was a bit weird and different was flavour of the month.

I was very popular during this short period, I was weird without being black or gay or a new age hippy. I was also very fit and good looking and the women loved me, I had a great time. That only lasted a few years and then our society started becoming more conservative again. Life settled down.

When I was in my mid 20s I met a girl and fell in love. We were living together for 18 months before we got engaged, but once she had that ring on her finger everything changed. A year after that we split up. By this time my parents were living in Darwin and this is the only time I can remember my father ever showing me any compassion, probably only at my mother’s prompting, he bought me return air tickets to Darwin for a 3 week holiday.

I got to Darwin and I met a few people and for the very first time in my life I discovered what the word Home means. I didn’t take that return flight back to Adelaide, I slotted myself nicely in to the wonderful community that I’d discovered and had a great time.

Back then Darwin was still a fairly lawless and reckless place mostly populated by functioning alcoholics. They all had their own funny little quirks and habits and hangups and they accepted me as normal. For the first time in my life I was able to truly just be myself and people loved me.

I fell in love with Darwin because of that community and I decided that I wanted to buy a house there, but that would need more money than I was able to earn in Darwin so I jumped on a plane down to Melbourne. I had every intention of only being gone for 2 years, just enough to get a good home deposit together.

I got good work in Melbourne, I was well paid and well looked after, and I developed a very heavy social life too. Living in Darwin had changed my outlook on life and the way in which I related to people and I became a very busy man with more friends than I knew what to do with. It was never as relaxed as Darwin though and I had to wear the masks pretty much full time.

I didn’t know anything about autism back then, very few people did. I had such a great time in Melbourne that I ended up living there for 7 years until I burnt out. I earnt good money but I spent all of it, when I returned to Darwin I had less than $1000 in the bank.

When I burnt out I had no idea what was going wrong with me or what to do about it but on a subconscious level I understood that it was to do with social issues. I decided that what I really needed was the laid back and easy going attitudes of the people in Darwin and so I moved back there.

But when I got back to Darwin it had changed, community attitudes had changed and the people that I used to know had all moved away. Darwin was no longer such a nice place, in fact I had quite a few fruitier phrases for it than that. It had been invaded by people from the east coast all seeing great business opportunities and chasing get rich quick schemes and the entire character of the city had changed forever. It was much more hard nosed and uncaring.

I still didn’t know anything about autism and burnout but I knew I had mental problems. I told myself things like if it seems that everyone is mean and nasty then it can’t be everyone else and it must be something to do with me instead. I worked at sorting myself out but I kept getting worse.

(Aussie men don’t do therapists)

Don’t get me wrong, I still had many great times while I was there and I had quite a few very good friends as well, but in some ways that made my situation much more difficult for me to understand. I wasn’t antisocial at all. But depression and angst settled in for the long term.

Friends 01.jpg

I was in my 40s and most of my friends kept telling me that I was going through a mid life crisis and if I was normal I’d go out and buy a Ferrari. I did buy a still and started making my own Scotch. I persevered for 6 years until the burnout became extreme.

Many of you will have the idle daydream of escaping to a tropical paradise somewhere, a wish to be able to get away from it all. I had those same dreams but now I was living in the tropics and paradise was just down the road. In the end I broke and I walked out of my life. Literally, left the front door open and told neighbours to help themselves before the landlady claimed it all and I walked away.

I kept my favourite slr camera and lenses and a spare pair of jeans and very little else. I have no photos or memorabilia from before 2008, I left that life behind and started again. A few years later I got to recover quite a few files from my old computer, a mate had claimed it and saved them all for me, but I have nothing else.

Living like a wild man didn’t work out so well but living in the bush and getting in to wildlife photography gave me the peace and the time alone that I needed in order to recover. It was probably on of the best things I could have done for myself. Then I ended up caretaking on a mate’s 20 acre property at Dundee, and while I was living there I once again found that community inclusion that had been lacking in so much of the rest of my life.

It was a remote area, the dirt roads were rough and rugged and there were no bridges over the creeks. Power lines from the state grid were just being erected for the first time and most of the people living out there couldn’t afford to get it connected to their homes. No phone service, no internet. No town, just a pub, no shops. No street lights, no rubbish collection, no police or ambulance.

Everyone that lived out there had to be fairly self reliant. Most of the people that lived there did so because in some form or another they suffered social anxiety and preferred to live without too much human interference. Everyone came together and helped each other when it was needed but none of them felt the need to live in each other’s back pockets.

Friends 02.jpg

I earnt a lot of respect from those people because I’m not the sort of person that will go asking others for help but I pitch in and help others whenever I see the need. Now that they were starting to get electricity and the government gave everyone satellite dishes for internet connections they found having a computer geek in their midst very handy.

I lived in that area for 10 years and I really loved it. I was technically homeless the whole time, I’d live on a corner of someone’s property until I had a falling out with them then someone else would say “Come and live on my block for a while.”. The bush equivalent of couch surfing I suppose.

The last time I had a falling out with the owner of the property I was living on I decided that it was time to look at my old age, I wanted a pension and proper housing and I wasn’t going to get that up in the Northern Territory so now I’m back to living in a city. People are friendly here too but it’s not the same.

The long and storied life has fallen upon a great storyteller, and so we all get a short vicarious experience in what it has been like to be you. Thank you for sharing, Outdated.

1691394735255.jpeg

When you walked out your door and lived in the bush, how did you live? I mean, how did you get food, shelter, etc, when you weren't invited to stay somewhere? How did you do all the practical things you need to do in order to survive?

When you walked out your door and lived in the bush, how did you live? I mean, how did you get food, shelter, etc, when you weren't invited to stay somewhere? How did you do all the practical things you need to do in order to survive?
A long and convoluted answer to these.

I guess it starts as a small child with a half aboriginal grandfather who was a bushman. He reckoned all you need to survive in the bush was a good knife and some strong twine, with those you could make anything else you need. I got taught a lot of little survival tricks by him and picked up a lot more as I went through life. It was always an interest.

Naturally when I went bush I carted a few things with me, a magnifying glass for starting fires, a hand fishing line, a couple of good knives. It was a very spartan survival kit though, how much weight do you want to carry around with you?

It was also the tropics. There is no winter, it's never too cold. You don't need much in the way of shelter.

This was where I went to first:

Truly beautiful countryside, year round water, no people. I did end up walking in to the Adelaide River township a few times, I was still a smoker and wanted tobacco. I talked to people and someone let me stay at their place sometimes. I could use a computer to store all my photos and edit them and I made picture CDs that I sold to tourists when the bus stopped at the local roadhouse.

So I sort of lived like a half feral human. I was still claiming unemployment benefits at the time too so when I walked in to town I had money I could spend.

I stayed in that area for about 18 months before a mate told me that he needed someone to stay on his property at Dundee as a caretaker because he was sick of getting stuff stolen.

And yes, the story is a lot more convoluted than that as well but it's the best I can describe it without writing another novel. :)

I got taught a lot of little survival tricks by him and picked up a lot more as I went through life. It was always an interest.
No doubt a very useful skill to have. Most people I know panic as soon as there's no signal for their phone :)

Be warned, this is going to be a very long read.

Twice in my life I have experienced being part of a community. Genuinely part of the community, accepted as I am with all my weirdness and still loved and respected. That’s twice more than many of you will ever experience. To explain what I mean is a long story though, it’s difficult to explain real life in a few short words.

I’m a high function ASD2 empath with no other comorbities. I managed to have a very successful life but I was always a bit out there, a bit left field, weird. As a teenager, I started work at 16, I was born in to a golden era. It didn’t last very long but in Australia we had finally smashed the grip of religion over our society and anyone that was a bit weird and different was flavour of the month.

I was very popular during this short period, I was weird without being black or gay or a new age hippy. I was also very fit and good looking and the women loved me, I had a great time. That only lasted a few years and then our society started becoming more conservative again. Life settled down.

When I was in my mid 20s I met a girl and fell in love. We were living together for 18 months before we got engaged, but once she had that ring on her finger everything changed. A year after that we split up. By this time my parents were living in Darwin and this is the only time I can remember my father ever showing me any compassion, probably only at my mother’s prompting, he bought me return air tickets to Darwin for a 3 week holiday.

I got to Darwin and I met a few people and for the very first time in my life I discovered what the word Home means. I didn’t take that return flight back to Adelaide, I slotted myself nicely in to the wonderful community that I’d discovered and had a great time.

Back then Darwin was still a fairly lawless and reckless place mostly populated by functioning alcoholics. They all had their own funny little quirks and habits and hangups and they accepted me as normal. For the first time in my life I was able to truly just be myself and people loved me.

I fell in love with Darwin because of that community and I decided that I wanted to buy a house there, but that would need more money than I was able to earn in Darwin so I jumped on a plane down to Melbourne. I had every intention of only being gone for 2 years, just enough to get a good home deposit together.

I got good work in Melbourne, I was well paid and well looked after, and I developed a very heavy social life too. Living in Darwin had changed my outlook on life and the way in which I related to people and I became a very busy man with more friends than I knew what to do with. It was never as relaxed as Darwin though and I had to wear the masks pretty much full time.

I didn’t know anything about autism back then, very few people did. I had such a great time in Melbourne that I ended up living there for 7 years until I burnt out. I earnt good money but I spent all of it, when I returned to Darwin I had less than $1000 in the bank.

When I burnt out I had no idea what was going wrong with me or what to do about it but on a subconscious level I understood that it was to do with social issues. I decided that what I really needed was the laid back and easy going attitudes of the people in Darwin and so I moved back there.

But when I got back to Darwin it had changed, community attitudes had changed and the people that I used to know had all moved away. Darwin was no longer such a nice place, in fact I had quite a few fruitier phrases for it than that. It had been invaded by people from the east coast all seeing great business opportunities and chasing get rich quick schemes and the entire character of the city had changed forever. It was much more hard nosed and uncaring.

I still didn’t know anything about autism and burnout but I knew I had mental problems. I told myself things like if it seems that everyone is mean and nasty then it can’t be everyone else and it must be something to do with me instead. I worked at sorting myself out but I kept getting worse.

(Aussie men don’t do therapists)

Don’t get me wrong, I still had many great times while I was there and I had quite a few very good friends as well, but in some ways that made my situation much more difficult for me to understand. I wasn’t antisocial at all. But depression and angst settled in for the long term.

View attachment 111398

I was in my 40s and most of my friends kept telling me that I was going through a mid life crisis and if I was normal I’d go out and buy a Ferrari. I did buy a still and started making my own Scotch. I persevered for 6 years until the burnout became extreme.

Many of you will have the idle daydream of escaping to a tropical paradise somewhere, a wish to be able to get away from it all. I had those same dreams but now I was living in the tropics and paradise was just down the road. In the end I broke and I walked out of my life. Literally, left the front door open and told neighbours to help themselves before the landlady claimed it all and I walked away.

I kept my favourite slr camera and lenses and a spare pair of jeans and very little else. I have no photos or memorabilia from before 2008, I left that life behind and started again. A few years later I got to recover quite a few files from my old computer, a mate had claimed it and saved them all for me, but I have nothing else.

Living like a wild man didn’t work out so well but living in the bush and getting in to wildlife photography gave me the peace and the time alone that I needed in order to recover. It was probably on of the best things I could have done for myself. Then I ended up caretaking on a mate’s 20 acre property at Dundee, and while I was living there I once again found that community inclusion that had been lacking in so much of the rest of my life.

It was a remote area, the dirt roads were rough and rugged and there were no bridges over the creeks. Power lines from the state grid were just being erected for the first time and most of the people living out there couldn’t afford to get it connected to their homes. No phone service, no internet. No town, just a pub, no shops. No street lights, no rubbish collection, no police or ambulance.

Everyone that lived out there had to be fairly self reliant. Most of the people that lived there did so because in some form or another they suffered social anxiety and preferred to live without too much human interference. Everyone came together and helped each other when it was needed but none of them felt the need to live in each other’s back pockets.

View attachment 111397

I earnt a lot of respect from those people because I’m not the sort of person that will go asking others for help but I pitch in and help others whenever I see the need. Now that they were starting to get electricity and the government gave everyone satellite dishes for internet connections they found having a computer geek in their midst very handy.

I lived in that area for 10 years and I really loved it. I was technically homeless the whole time, I’d live on a corner of someone’s property until I had a falling out with them then someone else would say “Come and live on my block for a while.”. The bush equivalent of couch surfing I suppose.

The last time I had a falling out with the owner of the property I was living on I decided that it was time to look at my old age, I wanted a pension and proper housing and I wasn’t going to get that up in the Northern Territory so now I’m back to living in a city. People are friendly here too but it’s not the same.
This is a beautiful life journey that touched my heart.

No doubt a very useful skill to have. Most people I know panic as soon as there's no signal for their phone :)
Most suburban Aussies are no different but my Mum's family came from the Murray River in South Australia. Country people will always try to pass everything they know to their children, especially if they think it's something important like how to find water and how to not drown in it.

All of us were taught to swim before we learned to walk, put the baby on the river bank and watch it crawl in to the water, when it gets too far out turn it around and watch it doggy paddle and crawl back out again. I have no problems with catching and killing my own food and I grew to love wallabies.

Most suburban Aussies are no different but my Mum's family came from the Murray River in South Australia. Country people will always try to pass everything they know to their children, especially if they think it's something important like how to find water and how to not drown in it.

All of us were taught to swim before we learned to walk, put the baby on the river bank and watch it crawl in to the water, when it gets too far out turn it around and watch it doggy paddle and crawl back out again. I have no problems with catching and killing my own food and I grew to love wallabies.
I grew up in the country, too. I learned to swim at an early age, but didn't learn survival skills. But unlike parts of Australia, Britain's such a small country that even in remote areas you're never too far away from the nearest town or village (or pub). Unless you want to go and camp out on St Kilda :)

Australia's a big place, 7.5 million square kilometres. Numbers like that don't mean much to most people though.

If you scoop Northern Ireland up and pat it in to the side of England near Blackpool, then turn the whole thing 90 degrees clockwise, the The UK is almost exactly the same size and nearly the same shape as our state of Victoria.

A flight from Sydney to Perth takes 5 hours.

99.9% of all Australians have mobile phone coverage but 85% of the land mass does not.

You used to have palm trees in your backyard. That looks like a dream home. :hushed:

The good people look like what Australians would describe "bogans" however they're probably not because they're nice and not argumentative.

Upon closer inspection of the term and what it's like to live with a bogan neighbor, I think my mother is a bogan. :joycat:

You used to have palm trees in your backyard. That looks like a dream home. :hushed:
That was just some ground level units in suburban Darwin, and believe it or not that was the front yard looking out on the street. That was just a pleasant afternoon after work and I was playing with my new camera.

And yes, there's a lot of lovely people out there that aren't too fussy about dress codes.

That was just some ground level units in suburban Darwin, and believe it or not that was the front yard looking out on the street. That was just a pleasant afternoon after work and I was playing with my new camera.

And yes, there's a lot of lovely people out there that aren't too fussy about dress codes.
Oh, I guess Australians use greenery to create more intimacy and privacy in their yard, I have heard of it before. It's a nice trick.

Don't judge a book by its cover, I guess. I don't mean dress codes but more so beer belly, tattoos and particularly hair style, the classic southern American hair/beard style I suppose, mohawk and the like. That reminds me of GTA 5 Trevor Phillips character (he has multiple hair/facial hair styles) who lives in poverty, dirtiness and is pretty aggressive. Maybe the picture was taken a while ago though.
Trevor_Phillips_1.png

Last edited:
The bloke in the middle with the tattoo down his left arm was one of the most gentle souls you could ever meet, all three of them in that picture were really nice people.

The bloke in the middle with the tattoo down his left arm was one of the most gentle souls you could ever meet, all three of them in that picture were really nice people.
How lovely to meet such good people.

"we had finally smashed the grip of religion over our society" - I hear it can be really civilized compared to some of the Europe, in the sense people don't treat you horribly on the street or stores and people don't mind your non-religious beliefs.

"But when I got back to Darwin it had changed, community attitudes had changed and the people that I used to know had all moved away." - truly terrifying, places change and even in terms of structure, when you move to a quiet place and suddenly the state builds construction and brings all these settlements in. I agree that my area changed mostly because of the people who left, and people who moved in. My psych would ask me if I live in a ghetto due to people's attitudes, but I don't, people just act like ghetto people in a well-sought area.

"we had finally smashed the grip of religion over our society" - I hear it can be really civilized compared to some of the Europe, in the sense people don't treat you horribly on the street or stores and people don't mind your non-religious beliefs.
It's a very different country now compared to the one I was born in to.

"But when I got back to Darwin it had changed, community attitudes had changed and the people that I used to know had all moved away." - truly terrifying, places change and even in terms of structure, when you move to a quiet place and suddenly the state builds construction and brings all these settlements in. I agree that my area changed mostly because of the people who left, and people who moved in. My psych would ask me if I live in a ghetto due to people's attitudes, but I don't, people just act like ghetto people in a well-sought area.
A lesson that's been repeated to me many times - you can never go home, it's not there any more.

Thank you so much for sharing. You have a real talent for storytelling and your stories often bring me to tears. And I always learn something.

I have also been fortunate to have a lot of friends and I do have a fairly easy time socially, and I’m thankful for that, but I have yet to find a place where I truly belong. I don’t feel that I fit 100% into the NT world nor the autistic world.
You have given me hope that at some point I will belong somewhere. My story is not over yet… and neither is yours :)

Thank you for being such an inspiration and sharing your beautiful gift for storytelling with the world. You have always been one of my favorite people on here and I wish you nothing but the best in life.

Things always change, San Francisco changed. Maui became crowded after 8 years, Honolulu is too congested, Phoenix has become too hot in the summer, everything changes one way or another. Great life story, you hit rock bottom, then started all over again. Found a new place later in life.

Last edited:
You have given me hope that at some point I will belong somewhere. My story is not over yet… and neither is yours :)
Thank you Luca. You have a kind heart, keep looking and you'll find it one day. Seek where people don't preach.

New Threads

Top Bottom