• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Coming out" to others

So i got diagnosed last year too. I told my parents and they were in shock and in denial. They haven't accept it together with other things that have to do with me,like my sexuality.
My mother since then uses the diagnosis whenever she is angry or doesn't agree with me, in order to tell me that i have a false understanding for the reality! Its like she is implying i am crazy!

I told my girlfriend she tried to understand ,but she then told me she believes i just need to become better with my time management. She is supporting me,but i am not sure whether she understands me!

I told also to 3 friends of mine. One was a friend from the university. She had told me in the past that her teacher in kindergarten had told her parents that she is autistic. She is accepting of me. Two other friends that i told, things were kind of weird. With one we stopped talking for a period of time and with the other one he told me that now it is explained why i am like that?!
I think i will stop telling about it in general.

Except of my friend from the university and my girlfriend,things did not turn out well. I would say i regret telling my parents.

It's not heard as a positive disclosure, I would say. Same as I don't use Hi, I'm gay and nonbinary as my mode of greeting, autism isn't mentioned either.

Does the same apply for your work field about disclosing being a ND ? I have understood you are a therapist. Is the ignorance in general the same?

I am currently studying psychology and i thought that in this field of work,people can be more accepting. I am not sure if that is true of course! That's why i haven't decided whether in future i will diclose being ND or not.

Does the same apply for your work field about disclosing being a ND ? I have understood you are a therapist. Is the ignorance in general the same?

I am currently studying psychology and i thought that in this field of work,people can be more accepting. I am not sure if that is true of course! That's why i haven't decided whether in future i will diclose being ND or not.

If you need to ask a stranger on a forum how accepting people in your area of work are, that maybe gives an indication to you? As it sounds like you haven't become aware of any evidence of acceptance in this area, from placements, from others, from tutors, from reading or the content of what's taught?

It sounds like there is no mention and you have seen no evidence of such acceptance?

If you need to ask a stranger on a forum how accepting people in your area of work are, that maybe gives an indication to you? As it sounds like you haven't become aware of any evidence of acceptance in this area, from placements, from others, from tutors, from reading or the content of what's taught?

It sounds like there is no mention and you have seen no evidence of such acceptance?

I am not sure how to answer. I assume these questions are rhetorical.

I told my parents. Their response was, "You're still the same person", and have not treated me any differently.
My wife has totally made the effort to understand, and it has drastically improved our relationship.
I told my neighbour, who was the first to suggest I was AS (and I dismissed him) some years before I realized he was right all along. He was totally supportive.
I told my closest friend, she seemed confused about it, she doesn't treat me any differently, but I don't feel she understood.
I told a couple of our older friends, I also think they didn't really understand, but more cause I don't think they even know what autism means. They also don't treat me any differently though.

I don't tell anyone that I don't think would accept me the way I am.

I'm queer and coming out of that closet was 100% easier than coming out with Autism.

I have not told anyone except for my wife, my most trusted coworker, and a cousin. All three of them interact with me on a daily basis and already knew that I was different before the label. They do treat me different now but I needed them too.

The rest of the family, my parents included and really everyone else I've observed them all to have bully tendencies. Anything out of ordinary and simple and the same and they simply cannot understand it. At least being queer was something no longer out of the ordinary.

New Threads

Top Bottom