• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Colors

rach3rd

When I was growing up we were told things such as what toys boys should play with and what toys girls should play with. We were also told what colors it was “ok” for boys to like. Pink and purple colors were a no-no if you were a boy. The thing is, my favorite color has always been purple. I simply love it. I envied girls who got to wear purple and had purple bike seats and tassels, or purple on their clothes.

There was a toy I hated as a kid because it made such a terrible noise. It was called click-clack or clackers. They were just two plastic balls that when hit together made a really loud clacking sound. But one thing I loved about them was the purple version of them. I just loved their color.

6585816545.jpg

And there is no arguing with me, the purple sweet tart is simply the best…hands down. ;)

I always wanted to fit in and be liked when I was growing up. One way I did that was to mask what my favorite color really was. So now you know…it’s purple! What’s yours?

Last edited:
I love purple! My husband does too. He wore a purple shirt at our wedding and we have purple cockpit cushions on our boat.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This poem is only loosely related, but you might enjoy it anyway.

Warning, by Jenny Joseph
When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn’t go, and doesn’t suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we’ve no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I’m tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people’s gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practise a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

When I was growing up we were told things such as what toys boys should play with and what toys girls should play with. We were also told what colors it was “ok” for boys to like. Pink and purple colors were a no-no if you were a boy. The thing is, my favorite color has always been purple. I simply love it. I envied girls who got to wear purple and had purple bike seats and tassels, or purple on their clothes.

A big reason for this is dependant upon Gender Roles. Thankfully, seeing the past several years, that's slowly being phased out, and some parents are starting to raise their child(ren) in a gender non-conforming household, basically meaning what you described above doesn't exist within the household.
Another big one is, of course, women working in Construction, Firefighting, Logging, Truck Driving (like Semi Trucks) and other work spaces that'd be highly considered "Male Centric"

For me, my favourite colours my whole life has been Red, Green, Purple, Gold, Sage, and Pink

Nothing wrong with men and women being represented by a color, I see only two colors in this regard which is pink and blue. Shades of purple I believe can be both. After all men and women are designed different so nothing wrong with giving ways to identify them. But we know these are the days of Noah so the lines are being blurred and well you see the end on the horizon.

Not quite blue, and not quite green. That iridescent peacock blue- ish.

iridescent plumage of juvenile starlings and magpies.

I guess my answer is iridescent.?
As my perspective changes, so does the colour.

To add to @Yeshuasdaughter post, pink was also traditionally a boy's colour, as it's the light form of red, a fiery colour.

And yes, blue was a girl's colour.

A lot of things we see today are from the post-WWII world.

A general rule of thumb is once something becomes defined as feminine, it seldom goes back.

So just as pink became a girl's colour, Kay, which has traditionally be a unisex but primarily male name (e.g. Sir Kay from the Arthurian legends), has become an almost exclusively female name.

See
Pink used to be a boy's colour and blue a girl's – here's why it all changed

Forest green and kakhi.
To add to @Yeshuasdaughter post, pink was also traditionally a boy's colour, as it's the light form of red, a fiery colour.

And yes, blue was a girl's colour.

A lot of things we see today are from the post-WWII world.

A general rule of thumb is once something becomes defined as feminine, it seldom goes back.

So just as pink became a girl's colour, Kay, which has traditionally be a unisex but primarily male name (e.g. Sir Kay from the Arthurian legends), has become an almost exclusively female name.

See
Pink used to be a boy's colour and blue a girl's – here's why it all changed
Yeah, and the name Doris. the USS Doris Miller is one of the Navy's new aircraft carriers, named after a black sailor who won the Navy Cross (I think) at Pearl Harbor. Carol is another one of those names. When I first hear of Carol O'Conner, I thought it belonged to an actress.

If Don Johnson could get away with pink, so could I. Bought a white silk jacket, grey slacks, a pink silk shirt, and a purple tie to go with it. Eventually wore to LosCon, a science fiction convention in LA, with my fiance. The ladies loved it. One woman felt up my lapel. Her eyes went wide and she shouted, "That's real!"

A big reason for this is dependant upon Gender Roles.
Yep, and enforcing those rules sometimes seemed cruel. My first day at kindergarten and I walk into the classroom and see what looks to me like a model house with rooms and furnishings. I was entranced. The teacher marched me across the room and told me that I cannot play with that. I was confused. Iater I heard that the teacher talked to my mom about me inappropriately playing with girls' toys.

Colors? I don't know what colors you see as I'm color blind.

I like purple too, but it needs to be a darker shade, more towards the blue than the red.
I'm lucky to have grown up with parents who didn't try to enforce gender norms on me or my siblings. I was a tomboy, and that was ok and even encouraged. I'm grateful to my parents for that. Though it seems be more acceptable for a girl to be a tomboy and like what are traditionally considered boy's tastes and pursuits, than a boy liking what are labelled 'girlie' interests.

There is no biological reason why girls should like pink, or boys should like blue. This is purely the construct of culture and society, and I resent being told by society what I should like or do based on my gender. I once went into a store to buy clothes for a present for a girl at a baptism, and literally all I could find in the girls' clothes section was pink, light red or purple, whereas in the boys' section there was a wider range of choice.

People should have choices, and be free to express themselves as individuals and not made to conform to some arbitrary gender-based colour coding and norms. People should be free to determine their own role in life according to their individual taste and circumstance, and not have this imposed on them by their culture or society.

These are two favourite colours (and I also love a royal purple too), especially in combination with each other...

Purple and green.jpg

Last edited:
What’s yours?
Emerald green.
As an amateur artist, I appreciate other colors for their effect, though.

I color-coded my children's school materials with colors tied to their names.

(My ASD2 son fetishes on pink, however, to the point of being inappropriate in public.)

Nothing wrong with men and women being represented by a color, I see only two colors in this regard which is pink and blue.
FYI, in at least one species of parrot, gender can be determined by the color above their beaks [a.k.a. cere]: pink = female, blue = male. ;)

There was a toy I hated as a kid because it made such a terrible noise. It was called click-clack or clackers. They were just two plastic balls that when hit together made a really loud clacking sound. But one thing I loved about them was the purple version of them. I just loved their color.

6585816545.jpg

And there is no arguing with me, the purple sweet tart is simply the best…hands down. ;)

I always wanted to fit in and be liked when I was growing up. One way I did that was to mask what my favorite color really was. So now you know…it’s purple! What’s yours?
Love completely natural ,real rainbow ,the colours of autumn ,metallic colours on birds ,sandstone ,crocuses in spring ,wild Turkish snowdrops in February ,wild whitey pink pink cyclamen on a forest floor ,red of the scarlet pimpernel(flower),wild whitey blue forget me not (myosotis),wild daffodils .

Colours have no gender. Yellow is faverite. Also love love pink and orange. I tend to go for warm colours. Purple is my faverite cold colour tough.

Depends on the object, but, just to see, Purple pleases my eyes.
Red also. Metallic and glittering colours.
My closet contains mostly shades of blue.

I love emerald green and dark purples. I have never liked to wear pink or yellow but I do like to wear white, especially in summer. Sometimes I buy men's leisure clothing for myself such as sweat pants. A men's small or extra-small size often fits me better than a women's size 10 because I have long legs and men's clothing is better made than women's clothing, in my experience. Usually less expensive than women's clothes, too.

New Threads

Top Bottom