• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Clumsiness (Is It Autism Or Do I Need To Work Out More?)

I was thinking about this the other day...I think not being clumsy takes a lot of effort. For instance, I can work around dangerous things without causing a catastrophe because I'm aware that there is danger and a need to focus on my movements.

99% of the time though, the minor bruises caused by bouncing off door frames on the regular are far less of a cost than the energy required to spend 12 - 16 hours every day putting in the concerted effort required to not do things like that. So bounce I do. Just call me Ping Pong. :D

I'm sure with practice, I could get better at it. Though I'm not certain the effort to practice is worth the effort. It probably is, and I probably should work on it. But to me, being clumsy isn't that big of a deal, and I'd rather spend my energy on other things rather than spend it trying extra hard to do something basic like walking.

I don't have any problems with clumsiness, except when it's related to ball games. Can't hit a ball with a bat even in slow motion. I walk kind of funny, and often very slowly, but I think that has to do with not caring and zoning out. In high school I'd suddenly even realise I'd stopped walking on my way to school in the morning.

My fine motor skills are great. Possibly because I've been interested in playing with small things. But tyere are things I've had to practice, and picking up flat things actually requires some small tricks. So problems with picking up flat things might be more of a problem with how you approach the task than really being clumsy. It could also possibly be because of less sensitivity in the fingertips. Who actually knows what the real reason for "clumsiness" is.

My daughter is an extremely clumsy person, but doesn't have any autistic traits. She can do gymnastics, and learn difficult choreaography quickly. And then the next moment, she spills her tea because she tilted the cup too much before it touches her mouth. Or she walks into something. It's all because she isn't paying enough attention to daily life tasks.

Some clumsiness should be possible to train away, but it would probably depend on how much energy you're willing to invest in it. If it's really problematic, there's a point in trying. But otherwise, there might not be much of a point. I don't think my daughter will stop being clumsy. Her motor skills are great, but she just doesn't cre to spend concentration points on stuff that can be done on autopilot.

This is one of my old videos from my YouTube channel "Aspie With Attitude", I thought that I like to share it around since this is on the topic and I don't think my opinions would have changed since I made this video back in July 2018.

New Threads

Top Bottom