• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Clueless about current events

The Penguin

Chilly Willy The Penguin
Because I don't follow the news and most media, I'm normally clueless what's going on in the world. I didn't know the Super Bowl was on yesterday. The Super Bowl never interest me.

When Steve Jobs died, I didn't know until a month later. What happens after his death, there started to be a lot of documentaries online about him. As time progress and when there became more and more documentaries on him, I started to realize there have to be a reason for this. Finally, I decided to watch it and that's when I found out about his death.

When there was a transit strike, I didn't know until the day the strike happens when I was waiting for the bus. I was lucky I had someone was nice to tell me.

I know this is pretty bad of me. Part of the reason of not watching the news is most of it is about celebrity gossip or another person got shot in the ghetto. I wish there was something exist that I can find out important information I care about. But if you also want to know why I'm clueless what happens around me, I have no friends, rarely interact with family and rarely go outside in public.

In case it helps... I've tried many news and rss apps on my phone. I've finally (at least for now) settled on News360 (available for iOS and Android). You can train it in what you like/don't like, so it gradually gets more personalized in what it feeds you.

Me neither. News frustrate me, especially local crime reports. Sometimes news anchors overdramatize events as well, or pick a side, which is also frustrating. I get my news from husband or facebook :) I just can't avoid it there

In case it helps... I've tried many news and rss apps on my phone. I've finally (at least for now) settled on News360 (available for iOS and Android). You can train it in what you like/don't like, so it gradually gets more personalized in what it feeds you.
Thanks for the share. Though it does not offer the type of filter I want for local news, I could use it to know about Tech news. I just learned about iOS 8.2 Beta 5 from the app you recommend. It is very important for me to know about news related to technology for my business so you might helped saved me some time. Thanks.

Maybe one day I make my own app to filter local news for content I care about.

Because I don't follow the news and most media, I'm normally clueless what's going on in the world. I didn't know the Super Bowl was on yesterday. The Super Bowl never interest me.

When Steve Jobs died, I didn't know until a month later. What happens after his death, there started to be a lot of documentaries online about him. As time progress and when there became more and more documentaries on him, I started to realize there have to be a reason for this. Finally, I decided to watch it and that's when I found out about his death.

When there was a transit strike, I didn't know until the day the strike happens when I was waiting for the bus. I was lucky I had someone was nice to tell me.

I know this is pretty bad of me. Part of the reason of not watching the news is most of it is about celebrity gossip or another person got shot in the ghetto. I wish there was something exist that I can find out important information I care about. But if you also want to know why I'm clueless what happens around me, I have no friends, rarely interact with family and rarely go outside in public.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know about current events. I know exactly how you feel, Penguin. I was worried I was alone in my dislike of watching news, I just get sick of hearing about celebrities and bad news. I don't have a single friend outside of online forums and I'm holed up in my room all the time unless I'm at school, so it's hard to know what the heck is going on in the world. The Super Bowl is boring and overrated in my opinion.

I am aware of some news (local, national & international) and weather via my Yahoo start page. I've no TV (too much random, sudden visual chaos & cacophony).
Nothing about celebrities interests me at all.

A life without television, CNN, radio chatter & advertisements is more peaceful.:leafwind:

My little world is incredibly tranquil and entirely lacking anxiety, save for immediate issues like hunger and finances, due to the fact that I completely shut out the world of current events.

The last time I was "up-to-date" on anything was October 23rd, 2013 when Lou Reed died. My friend texted me.

I've found just leaving the TV on quietly in the background during news times helps keep me in touch with the outside world. I have no interest in so called 'popular' stuff, celebs and such, but the occasional interesting report can catch my attention.
It stops me feeling so isolated and allows for some conversational starters with others. Similarly, I'm currently sitting in a cafe with my laptop, rather than at home, just so I'm out, mingling with the species; I'm not talking to anyone, just sitting in a corner by myself.. but I'm creating the opportunity for possibilities to not feel so isolated all the time :)

Talk radio might be a good way to go. I listen to talk radio programs that talk about current events in my area, as well as national and world talk radio shows. They all talk about current events and it's in more depth. Other people also call in and give their points of view on the subjects - there have been some really good debates. TV news gives you a one way broadcast - it's the news person telling you what they think is going on. I don't like that. Talk radio is much more interactive and informative. On the local talk show, I have also had my view heard by texting. I love it!

I keep a news page as my homepage. I change which one from time to time, like BBC, CCN, etc. You can eliminate some of the junk by setting it to "World News" rather then USA or local where you are. Then it is mainly the biggest stories and some Kardashian nonsense is eliminated.

If or when your job or personal finances depend to some extent on knowing what's going on, some of us have no choice but to listen to much of the crap being broadcast or published, and use our wits to filter out all the garbage in the process.

In your instance William, you might consider focusing exclusively on high-technology and consumer trends. It might aid you in keeping up with what might become relevant in the world of consumer software apps. Just a thought. The business end of high tech can be quite boring, but sometimes a "necessary evil". And yes, it may involve having to filter out all that "garbage" just to get to what you really need to know as an entrepreneur. Just a suggestion, anyways.

The big thing here isn't the news- or sporting events. It's always the weather. You can get into real trouble if you stay out of that "loop" !

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't think you're missing much. It's my opinion that the purpose of the vast majority of news outlets is focused solely on selling sensationalism, whether or not there is any truth to what they air. It all just gets to be a bit much, when what you're watching every day is intentionally designed to tug at your emotions, evoke emotional outbursts, and encourage people to jump on any number of bandwagons. Life shouldn't have to be so stressful.

Although I don't have a specific recommendation, there have to be some online apps, RSS readers or things like Google Alerts that you could setup to custom tailor news updates to only show you exactly what you're interested in and nothing that you're not.

New Threads

Top Bottom