• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Clock thread/

20220315_182301.jpg

Centurion 35 day wall clock that was put back in order about 7 years ago.
She loses about a minute a month now, so not too shabby for a $7 investment IMHO

20220315_175031.jpg

This Horse Mark clock built in about 1914 was bought in very deplorable condition.
It took me months of coaxing the pendulum to finally release the mainspring pressure, but I finally got it!

This is an ongoing project that hopefully will see fruition later this year.
20220315_175019.jpg

20220315_175714.jpg

20220315_175454.jpg
Over-wound mainspring after release

20220315_175659.jpg

Problem child pinion for the chime mechanism movement.
There is an air governor that controls the speed of it.
The repair itself will be simple using .0625 piano wire.
The clockwork will require total disassembly for both cleaning and repairs.
I will clean all of the parts in my ultrasonic cleaner.

German cuckoo clock project
20220315_175317.jpg

20220315_175231.jpg

Many of them have pneumatic bellows inside of them that actuate the features on the clock.
Time is not their friend:
20220315_180934.jpg

20220315_180949.jpg

Bellows material is available for repairs, but the actual operation would fall well outside of the skill sets needed to repair a "normal" clock.

I have the upper mounted birds that go along with it that were too deep in storage to photograph.
Once again, a $5 project clock.

20220315_182736_01.jpg

Kieninger und Obergfell (KUNDO)
Hanging pendulum anniversary clock.
The spring mechanism is rated at 400 days, hence the name of an anniversary clock.

20220315_182554.jpg

20220315_182915.jpg
I have two of these in fairly good condition for being possibly made in the mid 50s

View attachment 76960 View attachment 76961Two old ones. 1964 alarm clock and the big eight-day Waltham from maybe the 1910s or '20s. The alarm clock was actually pretty fun to clean up & restore internally but it still looks pretty sorry outside & could probably stand to be oiled. I really need to get the Waltham to a clockmaker's because it probably has not been serviced in decades, but it does run very well and it keeps time. The mechanism looks like a giant watch inside, right down to the knob at the side to wind it up and set the time with. It's very quiet but it sounds nice.
I recently send an old radium dialed and faced clock to the second hand store.

I was thinking of getting this electronics kit for building a digital clock that does not use any chips in it at all.
NV_0709_Bayern_Figure01.jpg

View attachment 77002
Kieninger und Obergfell (KUNDO)
Hanging pendulum anniversary clock.
The spring mechanism is rated at 400 days, hence the name of an anniversary clock.

View attachment 77003
View attachment 77004 I have two of these in fairly good condition for being possibly made in the mid 50s
What are the extra pendulum(balls) for? my mother's mother was given a very modern version battery powered but only one pendulum don't know where it is!:)

What are the extra pendulum(balls) for? my mother's mother was given a very modern version battery powered but only one pendulum don't know where it is!:)
The thin metal support bands for them are very fragile and break easily when handling them.
Both of my clocks had broken bands, two had missing hanging blocks and one with a missing trigger.

I found all of the missing parts to fix them in package deals online for less than what new parts would have cost, so I ended up with two spare pendulums.

Technically, the pendulum is a flyball governor
20220316_073931.jpg

Red indicates the mounting area for the hanging block
Blue indicates the safety limiter on the shaft that rides inside of a boss in the clock's base.
Black is a flyball.
20220316_073949.jpg

Green is the speed adjuster.
Pink is the thread that provides the adjustment.
Red is the pivot point that alters the flyball positions relative to their rotating axis. Out on the balls equals slower, while in equals faster because it alters the property of the flywheel.
This is where the escapement gets fine tuned to adjust the timing of the clock.
20220316_075411.jpg

Fixed pin brass mounting block.
Orange denotes the eyeglass sized pinch screws that pull both sides of the block together so they clamp the support spring.
20220316_075426.jpg

Escapement fork and support spring.
Black is the pinch screw.
Red is the support spring.
It is very delicate and temperature sensitive.
The thickness is about the same as a brunette human hair just as a reference.

I’ve always liked cuckoo clocks and grandfather clocks. I also find pocket watches interesting. The clocks I like and am most interested in are the one that have mechanical music boxes in them. There is this one Swiss watch manufacture that puts miniature music boxes in their watches (including wrist watches) that I’d love to own at least one for my music box collection but they are so expensive. The cheapest with no real fancy artwork is nearly $2000 when converted from CHF. And that is just for a simple pocket watch. The wrist watches are over $4000.

I’ve always liked cuckoo clocks and grandfather clocks. I also find pocket watches interesting. The clocks I like and am most interested in are the one that have mechanical music boxes in them. There is this one Swiss watch manufacture that puts miniature music boxes in their watches (including wrist watches) that I’d love to own at least one for my music box collection but they are so expensive. The cheapest with no real fancy artwork is nearly $2000 when converted from CHF. And that is just for a simple pocket watch. The wrist watches are over $4000.

Two makers specifically make music watches in Switzerland. Reuge and Boegli. Both are handmade and specific in design. They’re really expensive. I prefer Reuge because they make music boxes too.

Two makers specifically make music watches in Switzerland. Reuge and Boegli. Both are handmade and specific in design. They’re really expensive. I prefer Reuge because they make music boxes too.
I like both as well and it was Boegli I was talking about. I actually managed to find some music boxes with Reuge movements in them in second hand stores in my area. They are the 18 note sized movements but I still got them for less than what they go for on eBay. I would love to own one of the musical cuckoo clocks but I have nowhere to display one. I mostly want a Boegli Watch because they can be customized with the artwork you want on the dial and the song it plays and the musical movement is made by Reuge.

View attachment 76993
This Horse Mark clock built in about 1914 was bought in very deplorable condition.
It took me months of coaxing the pendulum to finally release the mainspring pressure, but I finally got it!

This is an ongoing project that hopefully will see fruition later this year.
View attachment 76994
View attachment 76995
View attachment 76996 Over-wound mainspring after release

View attachment 76997
Problem child pinion for the chime mechanism movement.
There is an air governor that controls the speed of it.
The repair itself will be simple using .0625 piano wire.
The clockwork will require total disassembly for both cleaning and repairs.
I will clean all of the parts in my ultrasonic cleaner.
The manufacturer obviously like the clock face this is the mantel version not mine

I like both as well and it was Boegli I was talking about. I actually managed to find some music boxes with Reuge movements in them in second hand stores in my area. They are the 18 note sized movements but I still got them for less than what they go for on eBay. I would love to own one of the musical cuckoo clocks but I have nowhere to display one. I mostly want a Boegli Watch because they can be customized with the artwork you want on the dial and the song it plays and the musical movement is made by Reuge.
Yeah, they’re pretty cool, I used to have an owl one that would play music. I don’t really tend to wear watches often but recently started wearing mine; it’s a swatch watch.

I don’t really tend to wear watches often...
I always wore Casio until its wristband gave me a rash.
I did not seek out watches after cell phones became ubiquitous.
Currently, I have a Fitbit (Inspire HR) with a fabric wristband.

I don’t really tend to wear watches often but recently started wearing mine; it’s a swatch watch.

I don't like to wear watches either, they get hung up on stuff when I`m working outside and I just break them. But I have a Patek Philippe watch that came from your corner of the world and you guys make exquisite watches. :) I like that one a lot, it has a beautiful blue color and it just looks very nice.

Last edited:
I found this one in the neighbors' garbage pile this morning--Free clock? Don't mind if I do.

1932 Synchro-Matic clock. You plug it in & give it a little push with the knob on the back to start the motor. These appeared in a number of different brandings & were cheap, likely given away as premiums. The case is Bakelite plastic & will have to be polished; supposedly these are a marbled finish.

275754243_1625243134496832_39050516776570098_n.jpg

It does still run, and it's almost silent. This is good. I'll probably restore it.

Couple of pics of my desk clock. This is actually a 2" 1920's car clock which is a rather rare size. The vast majority you see are 3". The obscured words on the bottom say 'Swiss Made'.
DSCN0813 (2).JPG
DSCN0811 (2).JPG

New Threads

Top Bottom