• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Church" (things that people don't seem to get)

I used to dance in church, but then I would go to the back so I was not a distraction to the others there.

I am doing this for me, as my expression. Not for somebody else to look at and judge.

When I was little I supposed that cussing/bad language/cursing
using the word "God" was "taking the Lord's name in vain."
So did all the other kids I knew then think so.

I think people calling on "God" to curse other people or things is
taking too much on themselves, as if "God" is a trivial vehicle for
them to order around.

But the word "God" is a title, and not anyone's name.
Like "Teacher" or "Treasurer" are titles. No one's name.

We shouldn't take God's name in vain. But what is it?

Allah | Deity, Meaning, & Facts

When I was little I supposed that cussing/bad language/cursing
using the word "God" was "taking the Lord's name in vain."
So did all the other kids I knew then think so.

I think people calling on "God" to curse other people or things is
taking too much on themselves, as if "God" is a trivial vehicle for
them to order around.

But the word "God" is a title, and not anyone's name.
Like "Teacher" or "Treasurer" are titles. No one's name.

We shouldn't take God's name in vain. But what is it?
I don't believe in the Christian god so his rules don't apply to me. Although if I am having a discussion with a Christian abd they ask me to stop saying the lord's name in vain then I will because I'm respectful of other's beliefs.

I don't believe in the Christian god so his rules don't apply to me. Although if I am having a discussion with a Christian abd they ask me to stop saying the lord's name in vain then I will because I'm respectful of other's beliefs.

What name would that be?

Yes, I can see what you are saying. A person should praise God however they are capable and in any way he or she wants to. That is between the person and God, not the person and the others who could judge them.

Also, I have experienced being overstimulated during church sessions by loud music. The loudness of the music bothers me and makes me nervous, almost like my insides are shaking. I Don't know if this is anxiety or me wanting to dance, but it feels pretty strange. Pretty sure I don't want to dance though. Has anyone else experienced this?

I went to a church for a little while where I had to wear sunglasses. The led lights and yes the music too loud. I had to wear earplugs.

What's the point?
I think the old testament classifies it!, as one of the signs of the end times, because it would have been if you blasphemed using the tetragrammaton only, before 2000 years ago, along with lawlessness,lovers of self instead of G-d.

It's an expression, lol.

So?

"Ducky doo", "oompa loompa," "rats," "by Jove," "flabbity blabbity,"
.....even "lol" etc.....are expressions.

What I am saying is that using a word from a belief system in
which you are not invested, or at least are claiming to have no
belief in, does not make sense.

It's as if you either still harbor a sort of superstitious
child-like belief in the power of the words that were supposed to be
important to you at one time, or it's a thoughtless parroting which serves
to "impress" other people with your *serious* intention.

A half in, half out measure.

So?

"Ducky doo", "oompa loompa," "rats," "by Jove," "flabbity blabbity,"
.....even "lol" etc.....are expressions.

What I am saying is that using a word from a belief system in
which you are not invested, or at least are claiming to have no
belief in, does not make sense.

It's as if you either still harbor a sort of superstitious
child-like belief in the power of the words that were supposed to be
important to you at one time, or it's a thoughtless parroting which serves
to "impress" other people with your *serious* intention.

A half in, half out measure.

^ These are interesting points.

I was raised Catholic and there were a few things that I found to be pleasant such as the smell of the incense, the symbolism, imagery, some of the rituals were stimulating and I liked looking at pretty teenage girls when I was a teenager and looking at pretty women as an adult.

Aside from that unfortunately for me, attending church has never been as rewarding and enjoyable an experience as it should be. For me it's always been uncomfortable and overall an unpleasant experience. The main reasons relate to my sensitivities: Auditory (too loud. The music, the preaching, crying or screaming child, unexpected crashing sound of a kneeler falling, etc). Olfactory (My reaction both physically and mentally to artificial/chemical fragrances is extreme and includes perfumes, colognes, dryer sheets, detergents, halitosis, etc). Touch (I dread the shaking of hands. I find it loathsome). Distraction and inability to filter sounds. There is just too much going on for me to truly focus. I also don't like having people so close to me and surrounding me. It's not a comforting feeling for me.

I did have to wear earplugs every time I went which helped with the auditory issues (but of course not with any of the other issues) but since Covid I haven't attended any church service and don't know when/if I will.

^ These are interesting points.

I was raised Catholic and there were a few things that I found to be pleasant such as the smell of the incense, the symbolism, imagery, some of the rituals were stimulating and I liked looking at pretty teenage girls when I was a teenager and looking at pretty women as an adult.

Aside from that unfortunately for me, attending church has never been as rewarding and enjoyable an experience as it should be. For me it's always been uncomfortable and overall an unpleasant experience. The main reasons relate to my sensitivities: Auditory (too loud. The music, the preaching, crying or screaming child, unexpected crashing sound of a kneeler falling, etc). Olfactory (My reaction both physically and mentally to artificial/chemical fragrances is extreme and includes perfumes, colognes, dryer sheets, detergents, halitosis, etc). Touch (I dread the shaking of hands. I find it loathsome). Distraction and inability to filter sounds. There is just too much going on for me to truly focus. I also don't like having people so close to me and surrounding me. It's not a comforting feeling for me.

I did have to wear earplugs every time I went which helped with the auditory issues (but of course not with any of the other issues) but since Covid I haven't attended any church service and don't know when/if I will.

Thank you for laying out so clearly the issues that come up for you.
I have heard of some churches having "autism friendly" services.

May it be so soon

Thank you for laying out so clearly the issues that come up for you.
I have heard of some churches having "autism friendly" services.

May it be so soon

I don't see that happening anytime soon in the churches around where I am. Several years ago when I was travelling I noticed a church flyer on a bulletin board in a gas station. A local church in that area noted on the flyer that they were a fragrance free facility and asked that anyone attending would refrain from using fragrances. That sounded like pure heaven and a dream to me.

New Threads

Top Bottom