• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Chronic depression.

Depression is such a deeply crippling thing to deal with, and chronic depression is often even more so. I also have struggled with chronic depression for the majority of my life. It can be so very difficult to relate because it often feels so uniquely personal in regard to the things that may or may not be contributing to it happening. Sometimes, you might objectively have a ton of great things going, and still feel absolutely low despite it.

When people tell you "it'll get better!", it's not that they are wrong. It might and to some degree day by day will in certain periods. The problem that they never answer is that it will get worse again. In my experience, this is the big divide that they simply can't approach to console you very well with. When I say I'm depressed, people will assume it's something that will pass, if they could just cheer me up! The sentiment is sweet, but they rarely understand that I'm referring to the journey of my life and not this one particular downswing. It ends up making feel even less understood and further isolated.

That's the crux of it, it will get better at times, and it will be absolutely crushing at times. Finding a way to cope and deal with it in a way that leads you to becoming progressively better overall is the hard part. As I type this out, I've once again fallen back into drinking to cope with the days passing by. I spent the last 10 or so years chain-smoking and drinking in an attempt to medicate or pass through my periods of self-isolation, anxiety, perceived and/or realistic inadaquacies, frustration... you name it.

I feel almost as if I'm an outside observer to a society I'll never properly fit into and the future awaiting me has a high probability of bringing even more pain and dire straights. Every time I get a an upswell of conviction, responsibility, and production I get calmer and happier and more able to deal with depressive thoughts. However, it always crashes down and kills my resolve each time I fail in new and reinvigorated philosophies.

Life is a series of choices. Our brains are what complicate matters into feeling as though there is no hope. Really the choice is simple. Get better, stagnate, or give up. Easy enough to state. What do I mean?

If we choose to give up, the conclusion is set. We've taken the responsibility out of our hands for our own possible happiness. This feels the easiest to choose when we are depressed. And it is. It's literally the easiest choice to make. It's the hardest to live with. Obivously the probability of coming out of this with more hope and happiness is drastically low.

It's often stated when depressed... "I don't care..." The problem is you are lying to yourself. You obviously do care... Or else this utter pain and the oppression of existence wouldn't be weighting us down.

The problem rather might be that we care TOO much, and the fatigue has gotten us to the point that we wish we didn't. That we could acquiesce into our comforting desire of giving up the burden of feeling and by stating we don't care we're yearning for it.

The second choice, stagnation, I find often leads into a period of depression. When I feel like I'm not producing, when I'm binging on Netflix and the days pass and I get older... when I gain no new experiences or skills... I just ... am. It leads me to apathy and allows my depression to fester and materialize into a stronger beast than my desire for acceptance of being... Obviously, this happens to ALL of us in life. Realistically, we can't be consistently always growing at a continual and unwavering rate... Still, these are middle periods which can lead to either path...

Finally, getting better. It won't stop you from depression. It won't cure it. What it can mean is finding strategies and "growing" which gives you the tools to find what's meaningful. I leave this purposely vague, as we are all different in our hopes and dreams and wants and needs. The point being that progression of ability, or self-analysis, or new experiences is the best way to combat what you know is eventual. Depression is a constant, but newness is dependent on our ability to find it. And it might be anything, as long as it's meaningful.

Why am I rambling? Well for one, I'm rarely coherent, my mind runs too fast and randomly. Especially through text. But I just want to state that you aren't alone in the feeling, even if our circumstances are different. I'm drinking another 6 pack for the 3rd day in a row. However, just half a year ago I lost 40 lbs, got in the best shape of my life, changed my diet permanently, and had almost eliminated drinking. I had plans to quit smoking. However, my routine was disrupted by multiple events and it all fell apart. Now I'm very close to giving up completely into alcoholism and depression.

There's still a light in front of me though, because I have a choice. Even though apathy and suicidal thoughts abound, I believe I can beat them in the end. Because giving up is a guarantee of continual grief and regression.

I hope some of this rambling can give you some introspection into your position and it isn't completely off base of what you might have been looking for. Depression is a journey where the oppression of life has you put into a disadvantage. But you can still win. You just have to keep trying.

YOu do not sound rude at all. It is horrible to be depressed. Just awful. I usually try to alter brain chemistry via things like working out hard, music, getting into a place where there are people , even if it's just people I don't know.....all the things they say. But really, it's brain chemistry. Sometimes I want to bomb my brain, but I can't.

Wow! Long rant, lol.
I'm not into, quitting!!
I'm determined to try and have as much fun and pleasure from my life as possible, even if I am a bit wierd and awkward, my mind spirals into negativity without my permission,

YOu do not sound rude at all. It is horrible to be depressed. Just awful. I usually try to alter brain chemistry via things like working out hard, music, getting into a place where there are people , even if it's just people I don't know.....all the things they say. But really, it's brain chemistry. Sometimes I want to bomb my brain, but I can't.

I'm 69 and have suffered with depression since I was 19 with two bouts of major depression. Right now my depression is bad but previously I was able to control it. How I controlled it was to deny it any thought time by keeping my mind occupied and I'd try to create a positive anticipation for the fallowing day. I can cope with normal depression but when I had my first bout of major depression at 19 it was just one continues nightmare with feeling that I'd never get better and didn't won't to live anymore the way I was feeling. It lasted two years but I slowly got used to it and stop fearing it, so it just went away without any medication. It happened again about 5 years after the first bout but I knew you can get better from it as i did 5 years previously, so that bout only last 6 months. Depression by it's very nature makes you think you will never get better, but you do, it just takes time. BTW, if your depression is deep, there will be a lot of chemical changes in your brain. When I had a major depression, I'd wake up as normal in the morning, then I would remember the depression and I could then feel the chemicals rush through my body. I could actual smell the chemicals in my sweat. I'm on Anafranil now which doesn't make the depression go away but stops me going into a major depression.

Last edited:
I have been on and off meds for 7 years. Nothing helps me. My psychiatrists in the past have been very unhelpful and have even told me they don’t know how to help me. I feel like they don’t believe me and I’m just being awkward. Honestly. I have to live for my two girls so I don’t have much choice. It’s just that the pain is unbearable so very often that I wanted someone to share that sensation with. I am vegetarian. I’m spiritual. I try. I try. I try. All I do is try. I’m so very sick of trying. I wish I didn’t feel. I don’t want to feel anything anymore. It just seems so cruel. I understand people struggle and have periods like this but it’s so unfair that one person has to do this over and over all day every day for such a long time. To have everything robbed from you because of it. After time, people become immune to it. They have enough. They stop caring. It’s not their problem and they can’t keep excusing you or wanting to be near you. By people I include my kids. I need to get better. I’ve lost everything. I can’t handle the pain and the only things that keep me going can’t take me anymore. I always thought they’d be an end to it but I don’t know if there will be. I’m not only going down but I’m taking my babies with me. The systems in place for our care are awful. My experience anyway. It’s been diabolical and made me feel worse in reality. Like I said, I don’t want anyone to say, it’ll get better. I just want someone to understand. That’s all. Honestly, I’d rather lose an arm than feel like this one more day. No question. It really really hurts.

I'm 69 and have suffered with depression since I was 19 with two bouts of major depression. Right now my depression is bad but previously I was able to control it. How I controlled it was to deny it any thought time by keeping my mind occupied and I'd try to create a positive anticipation for the fallowing day. I can cope with normal depression but when I had my first bout of major depression at 19 it was just one continues nightmare with feeling that I'd never get better and didn't won't to live anymore the way I was feeling. It lasted two years but I slowly got used to it and stop fearing it, so it just went away without any medication. It happened again about 5 years after the first bout but I knew you can get better from it as i did 5 years previously, so that bout only last 6 months. Depression by it's very nature makes you think you will never get better, but you do, it just takes time.
What don't kill u makes u stronger ?

I have been on and off meds for 7 years. Nothing helps me. My psychiatrists in the past have been very unhelpful and have even told me they don’t know how to help me. I feel like they don’t believe me and I’m just being awkward. Honestly. I have to live for my two girls so I don’t have much choice. It’s just that the pain is unbearable so very often that I wanted someone to share that sensation with. I am vegetarian. I’m spiritual. I try. I try. I try. All I do is try. I’m so very sick of trying. I wish I didn’t feel. I don’t want to feel anything anymore. It just seems so cruel. I understand people struggle and have periods like this but it’s so unfair that one person has to do this over and over all day every day for such a long time. To have everything robbed from you because of it. After time, people become immune to it. They have enough. They stop caring. It’s not their problem and they can’t keep excusing you or wanting to be near you. By people I include my kids. I need to get better. I’ve lost everything. I can’t handle the pain and the only things that keep me going can’t take me anymore. I always thought they’d be an end to it but I don’t know if there will be. I’m not only going down but I’m taking my babies with me. The systems in place for our care are awful. My experience anyway. It’s been diabolical and made me feel worse in reality. Like I said, I don’t want anyone to say, it’ll get better. I just want someone to understand. That’s all. Honestly, I’d rather lose an arm than feel like this one more day. No question. It really really hurts.

Depression isn't just one thing. It's never just a chemical imbalance or just a psychological issue. It's a bunch of factors that all bear on each other. Even the chemical component isn't always the same. The things that help one person might make another worse. Some SSRIs reduce dopamine, and that makes me worse.

What helps me most is exercise and diet. Try some kind of running or biking that gets your heart rate up. And cut out sugar and alcohol and things that mess with your brain chemistry. Meditation helps too, but it takes a while to get the hang of it.

Try different meds for a couple months at a time. If your doctor isn't helping you with trying different medication, get a better doctor. Meds didn't end up helping me much, but it's worth a shot. Sometimes drugs can show you what normal looks like, even if it doesn't last.

Therapy can depend as much on the therapist as the type of therapy. CBT is basically straight up Stoic philosophy, and works pretty well for training up better patterns of thinking. I skipped it and read Epictetus instead. It gives you perspective, which is really hard to hold onto when you have depression.

You have to do the work. Even if you get meds that work, if you keep doing what you did before, you'll end up where you were before. I haven't ever totally kicked it, but I'm a lot better than I was. I have some bad times, but I'm doing mostly better over time.

Good luck.

I can totally relate. I have had chronic depression, anxiety and insomnia as part of my life for nearly 50 years. I did find anti depressants helped, but I did have to try quite a few before I found one that worked without unbearable side effects. I found Lexapro best but it completely obliterated any sexual pleasure so I weaned myself off it. I have been taking Seroquel for about the last three or four years. It is a mood stabilizer, but the main reason I take it is because it helps me sleep. From what I've heard it can be horrible to get off and sleep is non existent so at this point I'd rather keep taking it than try and stop. I hate the idea of taking a drug forever, but the alternative is just not an option at present.

I used to do long distance running and found that helped but I can't do that any more. Otherwise good music and dancing can also lift me. I found psychiatrists useless except for prescribing drugs. Psychologists are much better even if it's just to have someone who'll listen to you and be sympathetic. Trying to discuss it with friends is a good way to drive them away in my experience. Unless they've experienced chronic depression they don't and can't understand, and they don't know how to help anyway. Besides they don't want to hear it because it brings them down.

I am about to try hemp oil to see if that helps at all. I would like to get some proper CBD oil but it's impossible to get here. I know there are others here who have found it helpful.

I wish you the strength to keep going. I'm sure your kids are a strong incentive. My dogs do that for me. I hope you find something that works for you :rose:

That would be great, if I could talk to you directly, here or elsewhere??

Aye, if you want to talk to me, just send me a direct message through the forum here. I check the forum fairly frequently, so it usually doesnt take me too long to respond to any message. Unless I'm asleep or something.

The function for this is up under you "inbox", just click that, and hit "start a new conversation" and then go from there. The rest should be easy... put in the name of the person you're wanting to talk to and then type your message.

Normally I dont bother explaining what should be a basic forum function, but... this one is rather bizarre, in how it works. It's normally not done that way. It took me a bit to figure out where the bloody thing was.

Hi, erm, this is a biggy. Is there anyone there that would like to discuss chronic depression with me? I’ve had it for 7+ years and it just hurts so very very badly. The pain is just unbearable at times and I wondered if anyone could relate. It is a chemical imbalance that no one has been able to help me with and yes, I do have other issues that contribute but it seems as though it will always be there regardless of how much headway I make with the other issues. I know it’s off topic but I’d love to connect with someone else who feels this horrendous pain and can’t get away from it. It really is torture and it takes every ounce of my strength and any joy or peace or happiness away from my daily life. Please only answer if you’ve been there. I can’t bear to hear ‘you’ll get through it’ and such like. I’m in way too deep and too long for being fobbed off. I’m sorry if that sounds rude. I just need people who can truly relate over long sustained periods because this is chronic and chemical and not just a bad patch or low mood. This is agony. Again, I’m sorry, if that sounds rude.

Ugh, I have definitely been there with depression. It's wretched. I'm lucky to have found some medication that works for me but I most certainly remember times when I didn't have that. I'd wake up in the morning and feel like 'oh no, not another day' and at night I'd feel a little lift in knowing that the day was finally over and I could just sleep for a while. I also would exercise every morning during that period in the hopes that that would help lift it but it did barely anything. I felt like I had a physical illness... it felt a like a big heavy weight that I could not get out from under. It fricking sucks. I had a therapist at the time who tried EMDR on me which honestly seems like a total ******** treatment but it did make me feel a little better.

Hi Tanyax,
I don't post here often, but I feel for you and know exactly what you mean. I see some
of the replies recommend SSRI medication, but before you go that route, there is a
supplement (available at any vitamin store) called 5hpt, which is pre-cursor to serotonin.
It provides what the body needs to naturally produce more serotonin. SSRI are Serotonin selective re-uptake inhibitors, which means they block serotonin from another pathway to build an increased level at specific serotonin receptor sub-types in discrete regions of the body where the relevant physiologic processes are regulated. This means that while serotonin is increased at one level, this is achieved by interrupting the natural function of the serotonin pathway and depriving it in another region of the brain.

I stumbled across 5hpt, while researching natural substitutes for my son's multiple health issues and low functioning Autism. I have been taking this this for about 15 years, and can testify that is it is totally
effective. I take it on an "when needed basis", if I start to feel funky i.e. moody, irritable, tired etc.
after about three days, I get relief of symptoms and usually after about two weeks I can stop (or in my case
I feel good again and forget). The joy of the supplement is that you can stop cold turkey without ANY side effects. It is used extensively in Europe for treatment of depression. It is cheap (approx $18) for a months supply. It is best in capsule or liquid form, NOT tablet. Don't expect to find an immediate effect on the first
day or two but by the third day you should feel symptoms subside and after a week begin to feel like
your normal self. I would be interested to know if this works as good for you as it does for me, so I hope
to hear from you. Philomena

Yup, I get what you’re feeling - I have been in a similar state for some years. It hurts indescribably and impossible to explain to anyone who hasn't been there. It makes one wonder what it's all about, why are we who we are. In my case and I suspect maybe yours too, it's a feeling of total isolation and disconnection with everyone and everything, a feeling of futility and needless suffering. With me, it had been chronic, but have also had periods of relief relief. It's much better than it was about 6 months ago, which I put down to taking up mindfulness.
Interestingly, this week I had a major operation on my shoulder and given meds for pain relief. One of them is gabapentin, which far from making me drowsy, but seems to awaken me, removed anxiety and depression and my wife makes me a nice person to live with! We read up on it and it does seem to help a lot of people like us.
Just keep in mind, you're a good person with real value.

Been there, it can get better !

While I was awaiting a diagnosis for Aspergers I was diagnosed with chronic dysthymic disorder, I was so bad I was close to being sectioned for my own safety, and could go from "ok" to seriously planning a suicide event in less than 90 seconds. At the time I was diagnosed with chronic dysthymic disorder / about to be sectioned, I was prescribed what I now know was an anti psychotic, and it all went to hell in a hand cart :-} - I took my first tablet when I got into work one day and within 20 minutes I was slurring my words, could barely stand... They had to take me home, and I was off for 12 months, and I never took another one again (see anti depressants below)

I think a couple of factors helped me - I was also suffering from chronic back pain (which by now the docs had decided was chronic pain syndrome), and I was not only able to get more effective pain control, but I also went on anti depressants.

The anti depressants did nothing at first, so they increased the dose. Still nothing. They were increased again, and the effect was literally overnight - I could feel something had changed, and while it didn't stop the low mod entirely, it introduced a sort of breathing space, where I knew I was in a bad place but gave me time to let people know it was bad again..

Then it came a warning that the maximum dose for this particular anti depressant should be 40mg (I was on 60mg) so they had to get me on to a different one, I was off for another 12 months while it got passed out and another one in...

It can get better though. I can still go into some day thoughts, usually triggered by my normal aspie triggers - criticism, misunderstanding what someone else is saying is a classic one for me, I decline very quickly again, but will pick up again after a few hours or a couple of days.

Hang in there, consider asking for your meds to be increased if they're not working well for you, and never be afraid to ask for help. Being open about the issues is a big thing, it takes a lot to admit what's going on, but you'll find others have been there too, some you'd never expect to hear it from !

Take care :)

Colin x

Browsing the comment before mine, I was also on gabapentin, up to 2400mg/day, before I was put on pregablin (60mg twice a day I think), duloxetine (same), co-codamol, and a morphine type patch (butec 5ug/h) -the butec isn't strong enough really, but I lose too many faculties to drive safely if I'm using that)

New Threads

Top Bottom