• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Christian group opposes anti-bullying

Status
Not open for further replies.
And they complain about being labeled a hate group? This kind of crap makes me so angry, as far as I'm concerned, they're supporting the attitudes that made school so miserable for many of us.

Last edited:
When I was younger I started watching movies about gay teens, I really identified with it, even though I am a heterosexual. I found the whole thing about not feeling like you fit in, and just wanting to be who you are and share that with your friends and family, I felt very close to that concept. I was raised in the church but the whole homosexuality is morally wrong thing didn't really make sense to me, but my mom had told me that a person can be gay and a Christian, so I didn't really see it as being an issue, until we had a pastor who seemed to want to use homosexuality every time he needed an example of an immoral life, then it started to make me mad. Anyway, I guess the point is, I identified with the gays in those movies. I think the world will adapt to those homosexuals that are being discriminated against, there will always be discrimination, but it will become less and less socially acceptable. But I wonder if the world is gonna adapt to us aspies.

A while back I wrote a blog about Michigan's "religious" exemption for bullying. Sad to say, many of the Christians I know, who are otherwise fine people, are unaware of this legislation and act like they really don't want to know. I have spoken many, many times in my church small group about bullying and what it has done to me. They all make sympathetic noises, but when I say that they need to know what their "friends" (Focus on the Family and others) are up to regarding this issue it is like talking to a wall. All I get are blank stares. They don't want to know. They don't want their illusions destroyed. They are not even willing to ask the questions.

I have said over and over and I don't give a damn who is offended that when it comes to prayer in schools I went to a praying school AND a non-praying school and I sure as hell couldn't tell the difference between the two. I was treated like **** at both. And then people wonder why I have issues with religion and why I can't just let go and believe. I even told my pastor that Jesus did not die for everyone, He only died for normal people. When Christian groups endorse bullying or at least fail to speak out against it, they are making a mockery of Christ's "sacrifice."

All bullying is wrong no exceptions! After I defeated the bully in the 3rd grade I defended everyone from that day on and
if I liked them or not made no difference.
Idiots like that make me sick!

I'd honestly like to hear the AFA's side of this story before I make any sort of judgment on the whole thing. If the Southern Poverty Law Center is involved, I'm willing to bet a lot of this stuff was taken out of context.

Perhaps, as you said, stuff may have been taken out of context, but based on events in Michigan with the anti-bullying legislation here, I don't think so. At any rate, it seems to me that Christians should be in the forefront of backing anti-bullying legislation, NOT opposing it. I don't care if you are straight, gay, neurotypical, on the spectrum, fat, skinny, or whatever, NO ONE should be bullied. Period. There is no "other side" as far as I am concerned.

These groups may say it is because of homosexuality, but I don't see ANY of them ANYWHERE standing up for ANYONE who has been bullied or undergone bullying. With one exception. If a student is harassed because of his or her "Christian" faith (no others need apply) they are all up in arms about persecution. But not for anyone else or for any other reason. They are not interested in defending anyone else.

Now, if I were to hear and see a consistent, visible Christian presence speaking up and defending those who have been bullied or are undergoing bullying--if I were to hear the kind of outcry that I hear from them on OTHER social issues--then maybe I might be inclined to grant them a little leniency on this one and I might be more inclined to want to hear the other side of the story. However, this is not the case.

So an anti-bullying group is now joining ranks with the likes of neo-Nazis? And there's something that speaks against this in the very same book they extract their ideals from? Incredible.

I can't speak for all of them, but most hardcore Christians just don't seem to understand much of anything beyond their narrow points of view and this ******** propoganda (on behalf of the Christians) really doesn't surprise me at all. Probably a good thing, me leaving Christianity behind for as long as I did.

This subject came up in my church group not long ago. The reason why Christian groups like Focus on the Family oppose anti-bullying legislation is that they are afraid that someone will say that they are bullies for speaking out about homosexuality.

As far as I am concerned that is just hogwash and covering your ass. The American Cancer Society has had no problem whatsoever expressing their opinion about smoking (another controversial issue) and I don't see them being worried about potentially being labeled as bullies. No, it may not be popular to state that you believe God says homosexuality is wrong but that is a far cry from beating up some poor kid or harassing him or her even to the point of suicide which is what we are talking about here.

It seems like these Christian groups are awfully confused about what is and isn't bullying. And maybe they've got somewhat of a guilty conscience. There's a saying, if the shoe fits, wear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom