• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Change “Autism Awareness Month” to “Autism Acceptance Month”

I'm lucky in that I've been accepted by many people. Still cases like mine are more of the exception than the rule. Hope we can see that change.

So you mean, there must be many autistic people joining the "Autism Acceptance Event" committee, right? Will autistic people even do all the event planning tasks? If not, then other NT etc needs to join, and it wont be an autistic committee anymore, like autism speaks maybe. I just ask because I dont know.

I just saw a post on Facebook about the upcoming “Autism Awareness Month” (In April).

I wish I knew how to make social movements go forward. I want to see this happen.

Typical activist group manned by people who don't have a clue. As I understand it, Autism Speaks was started by parents who had children with profoundly debilitating autism. Somebody had to speak for the kids who literally could not speak for themselves. The "treatment" is designed to make parents happy by eliminating symptoms that cause parents the most grief. Like most activist organizations the focus soon became growing the organization bigger, not evolving it to be better.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me nor does it care about me.

I do think more awareness and understanding are needed (emphasis on understanding), but often take issue with the way it's handled.

There was a segment on the morning news today that really peeved me. They were highlighting a group called KnowAutism and the KA reps were all "it's a play on words, ha ha. Wouldn't it be great if one day there were no autism?" They went on yammering about how 1 in 60 children now are being diagnosed, so devastating and isn't it awful? blah blah blah, without really understanding what they were talking about. It just felt like they were pandering to ignorance and regurgitating data without any real comprehension.

phew. Sorry. lol. That "news" segment got me kind of worked up this morning.

Anyway, there are far more "devastating" psychological and neurological issues out there that should probably get some media attention, too. Oh! Why don't we have a Narcissism awareness month!? Everyone can talk about what it is, how to spot it and healthy ways to practice kindness and compassion with each other? Plus, think of the marketing opportunities! (sorry, lots of personal beef with narcissism)

I am who I am. I love myself and I wouldn't be me if I weren't autistic! Besides, I'd rather be autistic than narcissistic any day. ;)

Oh! Why don't we have a Narcissism awareness month!? Everyone can talk about what it is, how to spot it and healthy ways to practice kindness and compassion with each other? Plus, think of the marketing opportunities!
The narcissists would like that... ;)

I have a sort of simplistic, childlike view of the world. I see patterns that no one else sees. And my memory works different too. Also I can hyperfocus and learn things at a really fast rate until it's like the information surrounds me like electrons, and the new information becomes my exciting new reality, where everything I experience is seen in its relation to this new information. But I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's like a superpower.
I think that's normal for a lot of us.

Also to add to the comment. It's going to be situational. People's perspectives vary as humans tend to only see the world through their reality. If a month is needed. Why just have have Autism? Let each person choose what the month means to them. Some will ignore it, but they most likely would do that no matter the phrase. Let them explore the many spectrum's of ASD. Any search will lead them to the most looked it. It could also keep someone interested by seeing different options. It could also help someone figure out about themself or friend.

New Threads

Top Bottom