• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Change “Autism Awareness Month” to “Autism Acceptance Month”

Nervous Rex

High-functioning autistic
V.I.P Member
I just saw a post on Facebook about the upcoming “Autism Awareness Month” (In April).

It focused primarily on not supporting Autism Speaks (I found this nice summary of the problems with Autism Speaks and posted it in the comments).

But I got to thinking, “awareness” isn’t good enough. It basically means, “Be aware of this problem.” It still phrases autism as a problem.

What we need is acceptance. Accept autism, accept those with ASD, and work with them.

I wish I knew how to make social movements go forward. I want to see this happen.

I saw a post like that too, though it oddly said something about next month being Autism Awareness month and that is incorrect. You are right that we want to promote acceptance rather than awareness. Most people are aware of autism but most people are also poorly informed about it and their awareness only extends to certain stereotypical presentations of it.

It is. For the person with it anyways.

I suppose it depends on your individual circumstances.

For me, it’s a mixed bag of some terrific intellectual advantages and some challenging social and emotional deficits.

I’m not sure I would trade away my autism if I had a choice, but that’s a moot question anyway. It’s here to stay so the best approach is to accept it and learn to deal with it. That’s why I think Acceptance is better than Awareness.

I have a sort of simplistic, childlike view of the world. I see patterns that no one else sees. And my memory works different too. Also I can hyperfocus and learn things at a really fast rate until it's like the information surrounds me like electrons, and the new information becomes my exciting new reality, where everything I experience is seen in its relation to this new information. But I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's like a superpower.

The only problem is when ideas get "lost in translation" when describing something to NTs, or if an NT asks a question that has a lot of grey area. Also if NTs explain something in metaphorical terms rather than just speaking scientifically.

Also, when NTs don't understand overstimulation and think if they just dim the lights or tell me to "mellow out" or something that I'm going to be okay. NOT TRUE! I need to just go home, shut the door, and make it real dark and happy. Maybe play a few games on Facebook or here on the forums. Then I forget all about the overstimulation and I'm in my happy place again.

I'd agree with that, but one thing I've found in life is: people can't accept what they haven't experienced on a personal level. Other than a rare few maybe.

I try to be as open-minded as possible, but some beliefs and behaviours are impossible for me to understand or accept. So impossible, that I'll ignore people who exhibit these behaviors or beliefs as much as possible. So I'm guilty of this too.

I think most people do that with autism. They either ignore it or pity people with it, but rarely try to accept and understand it.

Or we could do it NT style- you have been informed- it is social awareness day and give a spectrum person a thumbs up.
We could pass out yoyos to help them understand stims, lol. But they would probably call *me* a yoyo. (Detached moan heard)

I think it is complicated.

I think that basic autism needs to be accepted.

I think that the severe co-morbid conditions accompanying ASD2/3 need to be prevented as soon as possible. I think that is the niche that Autism Speaks wants to occupy, but they are seeking to take down ASD1s in the same blow.

(I'm not hating on 2s & 3s. I just think that if their severe co-morbids were prevented, they would be healthy ASD1s.)

Well, the point of a national anything month is to get attention, which translates into dollars, policies, and sometimes legislation.

Instead of Autism Awareness Month, how about National Neurodiversity Day?

It doesn't bother me. Mostly I suppose because logically speaking, tolerance and understanding must come before real acceptance.

And we're not there yet. Not by a long shot.

I'd agree with that, but one thing I've found in life is: people can't accept what they haven't experienced on a personal level. Other than a rare few maybe.

And this exposes some of my hypocrisy. I want people to accept and understand, but I don't want to tell them I'm autistic, because then they'll just stereotype me.

But I got to thinking, “awareness” isn’t good enough. It basically means, “Be aware of this problem.” It still phrases autism as a problem.

What we need is acceptance. Accept autism, accept those with ASD, and work with them.
Agreed. We need acceptance, and just about everyone is aware that autism exists. However, there is an intermediate step: autism understanding. From my observations, very few people understand what autism is and what it isn't (including a disturbingly large number of mental health professionals; I won't bore you by repeating my stories). Only after a significant percentage of the NT population understands autism can we try for "acceptance." And after they understand what it is, then I believe acceptance will be much easier.

Detached yoyos don't work that well.

Trivia Insert: The oldest evidence of a yoyo is a Greek vase c. 440 BC. It is attached,

800px-Yo-yo_player_Antikensammlung_Berlin_F2549.jpg

And now back to the posted subject...

Have you thought about starting a petition on Change.org? You can spread the word through social media. I don't use it but could get my wife to post a link to it on hers.

New Threads

Top Bottom