• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Caught some happiness

Thats great! Here is a PAT on the back for all your success.

Wish my mom was like this, she has autism but chooses to read books instead of spending time with her grandchildren.

I guess I am kinda the same when interacting with others, maybe I shouldn't judge lols.

That's great that you can feel these happy emotions towards family.
Like @Fino, I have no family either.
But, outside of my parents I don't even know if I could feel closeness to family.
I never knew the desire for children or siblings. It's a feeling I can't relate to because I've never
felt it.
It must be nice though. I'm happy for you that you have experienced it.
There are many emotions/desires I will never experience that most do.
Fino. When my son was around 8 or 10 or something I asked him if he missed not having a dad around (their dad would pop in for a day about every 2-3 years). He answered no and said he didn't know what it was like to have one so how could he miss it. Before that I always felt bad about it.
But with strong attachments, there is also a lot of pain and frustration over things you can't fix. I'm sure if I had never had kids, I would be just as happy - maybe even happier because I would have had more freedom. I do have them and wouldn't change it for the world, but I know I would have been fine either way. I hope we all have those things that really make us happy and I don't mean to cause anyone to feel like they're missing something when they are not. Does that make sense?
But trust me, when one of them has been laying in the hospital in kidney failure from mixing alcohol with adderal and nearly die and they finally come home and they go out and continue to do the same thing - it's not fun. I guess maybe one of the reasons I find so much happiness in them now is knowing the struggle it's been to get here - many years of struggle. Many MANY years of struggle. :)

Fino. When my son was around 8 or 10 or something I asked him if he missed not having a dad around (their dad would pop in for a day about every 2-3 years). He answered no and said he didn't know what it was like to have one so how could he miss it. Before that I always felt bad about it.
But with strong attachments, there is also a lot of pain and frustration over things you can't fix. I'm sure if I had never had kids, I would be just as happy - maybe even happier because I would have had more freedom. I do have them and wouldn't change it for the world, but I know I would have been fine either way. I hope we all have those things that really make us happy and I don't mean to cause anyone to feel like they're missing something when they are not. Does that make sense?
But trust me, when one of them has been laying in the hospital in kidney failure from mixing alcohol with adderal and nearly die and they finally come home and they go out and continue to do the same thing - it's not fun. I guess maybe one of the reasons I find so much happiness in them now is knowing the struggle it's been to get here - many years of struggle. Many MANY years of struggle. :)

I gave no consideration to the issue just from reading your post, so I don't think you should worry at all about that! It was the statement, "family is everything," that led me down that train of thought, likely me then leading many others there, as well.

New Threads

Top Bottom