• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

cartoon obsession as an adult

amarie.

i am 30 years old and my main obsession is cartoons. mostly "adult" cartoons like Adult Swim cartoons but also a few kiddie cartoons like Spongebob. my main focus is Metalocalypse. im constantly rewatching it even though ive seen every episode a billion times and it drives my bf crazy. i know every line by heart and i quote it even when im not watching it and im constantly talking about it. literally CONSTANTLY. even when my bf is at work 99% of my texts to him are pics of the show or quotes. its about a death metal band and i obsessively listen to their albums on repeat. my bf doesnt understand how i never get sick of it. ive studied every detail about the show and the voice actors and watching it destresses me and makes me calm when im very overwhelmed. im always imagining the characters being real and make up scenarios with them in my head, especially if im really stressed and anxious and they seem to calm me. ive always been embarrased at the fact that im a grown woman but im obsessed with something so juvenile and i never understood why i am this way until i started learning about Aspergers and understanding why i am the way i am. ive always thought i would grow out of it as ive gotten older but my obsession increases with age. anyone else share in this with me?

"Juvenile" is a social construct. We all waited for like eighteen years to do whatever we wanted, and now we can't watch cartoons? Come on.

Truth to be told, I love comics. Not long ago I had this obsession with watching all the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ('87) episodes, but I always come back to comic books.

"Juvenile" is a social construct. We all waited for like eighteen years to do whatever we wanted, and now we can't watch cartoons? Come on.

Truth to be told, I love comics. Not long ago I had this obsession with watching all the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ('87) episodes, but I always come back to comic books.
I looove the turtles. Mikey was my protector when I was little

I'm a 19 year old adult/teenager and I can say, IMO, that this societal construct of "maturity" is a ruse and that liking cartoons as an adult is 100% normal. I've actually been interested in more mature shows since I was little, while still holding to my interest in cartoons.

I'm a 19 year old adult/teenager and I can say, IMO, that this societal construct of "maturity" is a ruse and that liking cartoons as an adult is 100% normal. I've actually been interested in more mature shows since I was little, while still holding to my interest in cartoons.
people i know have made me feel weird for how much i still like cartoons :/

Nothing wrong with liking cartoons IMO, but I guess there's a thing or two to say about obsessive behaviour when it becomes troubling for yourself or people around you.

But I watch plenty of cartoons myself or, perhaps related, have an interest in stuff people my age would consider "childish" or "juvenile"... but I don't care about it that much, since I don't believe in keeping myself busy with things I don't care about at all but would, by some unwritten rule be appropriate for people my age.

You know, my 59 year old, NT husband still likes cartoons and animated films so, I don't see what the problem with it is. Obviously if you are watching cartoons rather than doing what you need to do to take care of yourself and, provide for yourself and/or your family, that is a problem but, if it isn't preventing you from doing those things, then I don't see a problem with enjoying cartoons.

You know, my 59 year old, NT husband still likes cartoons and animated films so, I don't see what the problem with it is. Obviously if you are watching cartoons rather than doing what you need to do to take care of yourself and, provide for yourself and/or your family, that is a problem but, if it isn't preventing you from doing those things, then I don't see a problem with enjoying cartoons.
I'm still able to do the things I need to do I was just wondering if another adult had the same obsession with cartoons that I do

I don't have an obsession with cartoons, but enjoy watching them I agree that one can never be too old for cartoons. I know a lot of adults my age who enjoy watching them.

I'm 32 years old and I've been obsessed with cartoons for as long as I can remember. When I was a kid, my grandmother even got me some books on the history of Hanna Barbera and Warner Bros Animation because I love this stuff so much. Now I'm taking that obsession and turning it towards making my own cartoons. I'm currently working on the screenplay for a pilot movie for a TV series with an aspie protagonist. I was going to collaborate with another aspie on this since I'm better at plotting than I am at screenwriting, but I don't think that's going to work out, so I've started writing it myself.

I'm 32 years old and I've been obsessed with cartoons for as long as I can remember. When I was a kid, my grandmother even got me some books on the history of Hanna Barbera and Warner Bros Animation because I love this stuff so much. Now I'm taking that obsession and turning it towards making my own cartoons. I'm currently working on the screenplay for a pilot movie for a TV series with an aspie protagonist. I was going to collaborate with another aspie on this since I'm better at plotting than I am at screenwriting, but I don't think that's going to work out, so I've started writing it myself.
oh wow, that actually sounds really good. good luck on that!

oh wow, that actually sounds really good. good luck on that!

Thanks! Assuming optimistically that I can get a production deal, my plan is for the show to be mostly episodic but still have an overarching storyline that would take several seasons to finish if I'm lucky enough to be able to do the whole thing. Kinda like Daria or As Told By Ginger (two of my all time favorite shows).

Thanks! Assuming optimistically that I can get a production deal, my plan is for the show to be mostly episodic but still have an overarching storyline that would take several seasons to finish if I'm lucky enough to be able to do the whole thing. Kinda like Daria or As Told By Ginger (two of my all time favorite shows).
I love Daria!! I identify with her

Cartoons are great I wouldn't watch anything but cartoons until my middle teens. Even now I could happily watch them all day, I admire that someone created that work, all the characters, their personalities and their world. Someone drew it all and I appreciate that skill.

I'm still able to do the things I need to do I was just wondering if another adult had the same obsession with cartoons that I do

amarie. there are a number of aspies into cartoons real heavy here...I can't remember them all there was a cute girl from newjersie and there is adora, anyone with a cartoon avatar is likely got a special interest in cartoons just look up their post threads under their profile page at the bottom.

Yeah cartoons are a big interest for me I love Disney cartoons my favourites are beauty and the beast,the little mermaid and Cinderella I also love 80s cartoons like she ra,90 s were good too my favourite are gargoyles,Captain Planet and the marvel cartoons from that era aswell.

Yeah cartoons are a big interest for me I love Disney cartoons my favourites are beauty and the beast,the little mermaid and Cinderella I also love 80s cartoons like she ra,90 s were good too my favourite are gargoyles,Captain Planet and the marvel cartoons from that era aswell.

If you love Disney, you should be watching Sofia The First, hands down the best TV series they've done since Recess ended. It's packed with references to their classic films and every so often, an episode will have a cameo from one of the Disney Princesses and the cameos are written well enough that they actually work and don't seem unnecessary even though they're mostly just there for marketing purposes.

Also, surprisingly enough for a show like this, there's a lot of continuity and callbacks to previous episodes, so while you don't necessarily have to start at the beginning and watch every episode, it's a much better experience if you do.

I have always loved animation, and don't understand the notion that any artistic medium should be relegated to a specific age group. Watching early animation makes it abundantly clear that there has always been animation aimed at older audiences. Only later did the notion that cartoons were exclusively for kids gain traction.

The first Felix the Cat cartoon had Feelix courting a lady cat. While he is gone some mice trash his apartment, he gets blamed for the transgression, and is evicted. When he returns to his lady love he discovers that she already has a litter of kittens. So what is his response? He goes to the gas works and inhales fumes from an exhaust pipe. THE END.

Meanwhile; "The Cameraman's Revenge" is a story of infidelity, told through the use of insects and stop motion.

If I wanted to I could likely compile a much more exhaustive list. It is also noteworthy that perceptions concerning the age appropriateness of cartoons vary widely from culture to culture.

Personally; though my interest has waned a bit over the past year, I am fascinated by the history of animation, specifically in Japan, but also throughout the world. As I have mentioned elsewhere, I have a list of landmark anime which I intend to watch in chronological order. I also watch contemporary American animation. My all time favorite is the Avatar series, and after I finish the comics I may go back and re-watch the whole thing. I am also fond of Gravity Falls.

Would somebody mace this stupid turkey!

Omg, Offdensen has got to be the most badass character ever animated!

I also tend to binge adult swim cartoons. My favorite is aqua teen hunger force. Several others as well. I tend to watch them continuously and can quote them verbatim.

I like them as a background. I can read or do something else. It also helps me feel less alone.

I just saw am episode of rock and morty than ended with them dancing to Booty Bass by the Splack Pack (explicit). Adult swim is pretty special <3

New Threads

Top Bottom