• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Carpet is ruining my quality of life.

Acorn_Elf

I just moved into a new house a couple months ago that is carpeted and I'm having a hard time getting comfortable with it. It disturbs me so much that it is affecting the rest of my life. I've been neglecting household chores and my house is now a complete unorganized mess. I just don't want to deal with looking and stepping on the carpet. I'd rather just stay in my bed all day and avoid the carpet. I feel so much anxiety when I have to walk on it and look at it. It's ruining all motivation I've had to get anything done. I can't stop thinking about how much I despise this carpet!!!! The person I live with works all day, so it is my responsibility to keep the house clean, but I can't. I feel like a useless idiot for letting this get to me. As soon as I get money I'm going to buy something to cover it up. Can anyone relate to my problem?

The good news is recently I just got approved for medicaid, so I should be able to see my psychiatrist soon. I just Have to go through all the referral motions all over again and stuff.

Apparently this is a rental?
And you aren't allowed to remove the carpet?

Apparently this is a rental?
And you aren't allowed to remove the carpet?
Yep, it's a rental, so I can't remove the carpet. I'm a lot calmer and easy going when I'm on my meds though, so hopefully this won't be an issue soon!

Yup can relate- I find carpet icky also, even in my own home. Would getting it shampooed help to reduce your ickiness? If so, ask your landlord to do this if he didn't do it before you moved in. He may refuse but there's no harm in asking.

My only solution to such an issue is to own my own inexpensive carpet cleaning device. It does nothing regarding the texture and feel of such a thing, but at least I can keep it somewhat sanitary. Especially since I allow no shoes beyond my foyer- ever.

It's not intended as a substitute for any professional carpet cleaner, but at least it keeps me from becoming routinely agitated for various reasons.

Yup can relate- I find carpet icky also, even in my own home. Would getting it shampooed help to reduce your ickiness? If so, ask your landlord to do this if he didn't do it before you moved in. He may refuse but there's no harm in asking.
I can tell it wasn't shampooed before I moved in because it doesn't have that "refreshed" look to it. I can tell the carpet is really old because it looks worn out and matted in high traffic areas, which highly disturbes me. If it wasn't so it, it would be as disturbing. Another thing I can't stand about carpet, is the feeling of it absorbing sweat and moisture from the bottom of my feet. Vacuuming can't fix that. Carpet is just disgusting. At least with hard wood, it can be mopped quickly and regularly.

My only solution to such an issue is to own my own carpet cleaning device. It does nothing regarding the texture and feel of such a thing, but at least I can keep it somewhat sanitary. Especially since I allow no shoes beyond my foyer- ever.
I'm definitely getting a carpet cleaner as soon as I can afford it. I also don't allow people to wear shoes on the carpet, but I'm still disturbed by the thought of skin cells and sweat being Imbedded in the carpet. I know some from the previous tenant is probably Imbedded in the carpet, which makes me want to puke. As soon as I get a carpet cleaning machine, I will go over it three or four times to insure it is deep cleaned to the max.

I'm definitely getting a carpet cleaner as soon as I can afford it. I also don't allow people to wear shoes on the carpet, but I'm still disturbed by the thought of skin cells and sweat being Imbedded in the carpet. I know some from the previous tenant is probably Imbedded in the carpet, which makes me want to puke. As soon as I get a carpet cleaning machine, I will go over it three or four times to insure it is deep cleaned to the max.

Yes! And spring for a really POWERFUL vacuum cleaner. Which on a more routine basis probably makes a greater difference. After all, you don't ever want to be cleaning a rug in the winter or when the relative humidity is high.

And that a choice of a good vacuum doesn't necessarily come down to Shark versus Dyson. ;)

For me it's quite a relief when I know I've physically taken so much "grossness" out of the carpet instead of constantly walking over it. Just be sure to dispatch any unfortunate soul who dares to walk on it with their shoes on. :)

(Although trying to get the building maintenance people to comply can be awkward at times. Love the ones who show up wearing cellophane over their shoes.)

As the OP can see, they aren't alone in such feelings. ;)

Yes, I have been clinically diagnosed with OCD. My bad! :eek:

Last edited:
I mentioned the reoccurring carpet issues I see on this forum to my bf and he told me about a guy he went to college with who had carpet in his apartment and needed a room for a workshop. He found industrial cardboard somewhere and covered the entire floor of the spare bedroom with the stuff.

I mentioned the reoccurring carpet issues I see on this forum to my bf and he told me about a guy he went to college with who had carpet in his apartment and needed a room for a workshop. He found industrial cardboard somewhere and covered the entire floor of the spare bedroom with the stuff.
That's very interesting. I was think about covering it with bamboo rug. It's a bummer that carpet requires such loud machinery to maintain cleanliness.

That's very interesting. I was think about covering it with bamboo rug. It's a bummer that carpet requires such loud machinery to maintain cleanliness.

Industrial "ear protectors" don't cost much. I even use a mask over my face when I vacuum given my dust allergies...with or without a HEPA filter built in.

Industrial "ear protectors" don't cost much. I even use a mask over my face when I vacuum given my dust allergies...with or without a HEPA filter built in.
Yup. I normally wear earplugs when dealing with that kind of thing, but I do find that they irritate my ears and make them itchy. I was going to invest in a good pair of noise canceling headphones. There's a really cool pair that has cat ears on top that I'm interested in.

Yup. I normal wear earplugs when dealing with that kind of thing, but I do find that they irritate my ears and make them itchy. I was going to invest in a good pair of noise canceling headphones. There's a really cool pair that has cat ears on top that I'm interested in.

The ones I'm thinking of are supra-aura. They fit entirely over your ears...not inside them. Ones you'd use at a firing range...with the appropriate noise reduction ratings.

I can tell it wasn't shampooed before I moved in because it doesn't have that "refreshed" look to it. I can tell the carpet is really old because it looks worn out and matted in high traffic areas, which highly disturbes me. If it wasn't so it, it would be as disturbing. Another thing I can't stand about carpet, is the feeling of it absorbing sweat and moisture from the bottom of my feet. Vacuuming can't fix that. Carpet is just disgusting. At least with hard wood, it can be mopped quickly and regularly.
You've got to tell your landlord that the carpet is not fit for purpose ,in the UK there are health and safety laws and your carpet is a health hazard
He would be negligent if he doesn't do anything write down what he tells you

You've got to tell your landlord that the carpet is not fit for purpose ,in the UK there are health and safety laws and your carpet is a health hazard
He would be negligent if you doesn't do anything write down what he tells you

Reminds me of years ago when I was supposed to move into an apartment unit. Before even occupying it I saw an enormous wine stain smack in the middle of the living room. Told the manager the carpet has to go, that I had no intention of just living with such an eyesore. Gross!

Lost a couple of days in moving in, but I got a brand new carpet.

He would be negligent if he doesn't do anything write down what he tells you
I don't think those such laws exist where I live, at least when it comes to carpet. Technically it's not that the carpet is unsafe, it's more me that's the problem.

Can anyone relate to my problem?

A smell, a noise, or a tactile sensation that I can't get away from can utterly destroy my functioning; I will end up just struggling to keep myself under control (not have a meltdown) and everything else falls by the wayside. I don't acclimate enough (or at all, on some days) to the offending sensory input and I can't ignore it.

The only carpet texture I can stand is super soft (usually this means very well-worn carpet), short or medium shag, and it has to be freshly vacuumed and clean. Otherwise I have to wear socks or shoes so that I can't feel the texture so much (or at all).

I don't have OCD but when I am under extreme stress to the point where I become very anxious for prolonged periods, I can develop temporary phobias about stuff like germs -- it's quite awful.....very frustrating, very limiting, and just stresses me out even more.

Would it help you at all to wear clean shoes or sandals or slippers or some other type of footwear inside the house -- a dedicated pair of indoors-only footwear? Or does the squishiness of the carpet (the "give" under the weight of your foot) bother you? Or would the shoes bother you as much as / more than the carpet?

If indoors-only shoes would help but you cannot find anything suitable that you can afford, do you have a pair of currently-outdoors-only shooes that you could scrub clean and disinfect well enough that you would feel safe wearing them indoors?

Last edited:
I love carpet. But it is a lot of maintenance to keep it from being gross. So I'll agree with others and tell you that deep-cleaning the carpet, preventative measures like no-shoes and always wearing socks to prevent feet-sweat and other foot-grossness from sullying the carpet, and vacuuming regularly.

Carpet is a lot of work, but love your carpet and it will love you.

I love carpet. But it is a lot of maintenance to keep it from being gross. So I'll agree with others and tell you that deep-cleaning the carpet, preventative measures like no-shoes and always wearing socks to prevent feet-sweat and other foot-grossness from sullying the carpet, and vacuuming regularly.

Carpet is a lot of work, but love your carpet and it will love you.
Unfortunately it seems the previous tenant did not take care of the carpet. I lived lived in lived in a rental 6 years ago that had bad carpet. It seems landlords choose not to replace carpet unless absolutely necessary. I think it it should be the law for a landlord to replace carpet after each tenet.

Unfortunately it seems the previous tenant did not take care of the carpet. I lived lived in lived in a rental 6 years ago that had bad carpet. It seems landlords choose not to replace carpet unless absolutely necessary. I think it it should be the law for a landlord to replace carpet after each tenet.

I agree. There should at the very least be some sort of measurable standard for when a carpet must be replaced because some carpets are beyond rescue and can become a health hazard, especially if there's mold. Unfortunately, carpet is so expensive landlords indeed won't replace it until it's absolutely necessary, if they even do at that point. One advantage of owning vs. renting, I guess.

Oh! And I love your idea for bamboo rugs, that would actually look really good on top of carpet and solve your problems with the carpet. I might have to steal that idea myself, actually :D

New Threads

Top Bottom