• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Carpet is driving me insane.

Acorn_Elf

I recently moved into a new house that is carpeted (not my choice). My last place had hard wood floors. It seems impossible to deal with this carpeted floors. Carpet is filthy. I can't stand the way it feels on my feet. I can't stand looking at it. I cringe as I walk across it and feel enraged at times. It's worse in the mornings. I've started wearing socks when walking on the carpet but I can still occasionally feel it though my socks. I can't stand it! It's stressing me out. I don't understand the appeal of disgusting dirt trap carpet. How can I learn to cope with this? I'm also currently off my meds due to not having health insurance, so I can't see my doctor. I used to take luvox and adderall and used to see a therapist, but I can't no more.

Carpet is gross, completely agree. Fortunately I have no carpet. I'm guessing this is a rental. If not rip the stuff up because whatever is under there has to be better than carpet. If it is a rental see about using some sort of hard surface flooring the way people with hardwood floors use area rugs. I can imagine gluing used hardwood flooring on a drop cloth and making a "rug" out of it.

Carpet is gross, completely agree. Fortunately I have no carpet. I'm guessing this is a rental. If not rip the stuff up because whatever is under there has to be better than carpet. If it is a rental see about using some sort of hard surface flooring the way people with hardwood floors use area rugs. I can imagine gluing used hardwood flooring on a drop cloth and making a "rug" out of it.
That sounds like a really good idea. It's a rental, so I can't rip it out, but I can probably cover it with something. It doesn't even appear that the carpet was shampooed prior to moving in. I still don't get the appeal of it. Hard wood is much more sanitary and attractive.

In the meantime, maybe invest in some super comfy, sturdy house slippers? That would at least place enough of a barrier between your feet and the carpet.

In the meantime, maybe invest in some super comfy, sturdy house slippers? That would at least place enough of a barrier between your feet and the carpet.
Too bad I'm broke. Maybe someone can get me them for christmas :)

I've went through this same icky problem for four years.
I can't stand it. I just want to rip it up, but, can't either because I rent too.
It is so filthy I don't see how anyone wants it.

Bamboo rugs are very good. I like them too.
And I wear the memory foam sole slippers constantly in the house. I don't feel the carpet through them and you can wash them and keep them clean.
I get them for only a couple of dollars at outlet stores and sometimes on e-bay.
Hopefully in a few months it will be over for me.
When I move I will never live with carpet. It will have to
be hardwood or ceramic. Even linoleum beats carpet.

I just saw that there are bamboo rugs for sale online. I'll buy several when I have money.
Could you afford to hire a do it yourself carpet cleaner another tip is to use Bicarbonate of soda to rid yourself of any odour let it lie on the carpet for a short while

My husband loves rugs and I hate them so much, but have no choice but put up with them.

You should move to France, because carpets are foreign to them. We have wooden floors and tiled kitchen area.

I get you so much with the sense of rage, when you have to deal with something.

Some people (I am not one of them) like carpet because it doesn't get as cold as hard flooring and/or because they perceive it as soft. It also cushions the impact of walking on joints and things dropped on carpeted floor break less readily, and it reduces conductive sound transmission through a structure.....

However, cork flooring or good underlay beneath other types of hard flooring, and soft area rugs can do the same things without being disgusting nightmares. (And although it's not a realistic solution for many people -- maybe most people(?) due to either not owning their home or to cost and building constraints -- radiant-floor heating is supposed to solve the cold-floor issue.)

I hate carpet. It is a pain in the ass to clean properly (and requires horrible deafening machines, whereas hard floors can be cleaned peacefully with a broom/dustpan and a mop) and to keep it from being even more unhygeinic and stain-prone than it already is, most carpet is treated with numerous chemicals, many of which can off-gas into the air in homes and workplaces and aren't good for anyone. (The smell of new carpet tends to be terrible - especially with glue-down carpets.)

Last edited:
Another carpet hater here. Even laminate wood flooring is preferable in my book. You could try asking your landlord if he'd at least have it professionally cleaned- he should have to begin with. Sorry you are so strapped for money- hopefully, that will improve soon and you can f/u on everyone's suggestions.

Totally agree here. I'm in a rental and the carpet drives me batty. I wear uggboots where possible and put rugs on top of it.
The vacuum is my nemesis. The noise is an assault. I have to wear headphones with loud music to clean.
Carpet just seems dirty and unsanitary to me. Wear thongs/ flip flops?

Totally agree here. I'm in a rental and the carpet drives me batty. I wear uggboots where possible and put rugs on top of it.
The vacuum is my nemesis. The noise is an assault. I have to wear headphones with loud music to clean.
Carpet just seems dirty and unsanitary to me. Wear thongs/ flip flops?
Memory foam insoles in shoes its like walking on air

Even better Skechers memory foam insole shoes they are not 20 pounds or dollars but they are very supportive if you have pain in your feet or back or joints
Look around if you decide to get them I found the cheapest ones at M and M direct but sometimes they are cheaper on eBay

New Threads

Top Bottom