• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can you please tell me fun facts about spiders?

I'm really scared of spiders and it's annoying. Where I live, there are no really dangerous spiders. I'm an adult, I should be able to approach a scared little animal without losing it.

Are there people on here who like spiders, maybe even whose special interest they are, and who can tell me funny, cute fun-facts about spiders, so I hopefully start to find them cute and interesting, rather than alien-like and terrifying?
My first thought was: Ugh! Spiders! But I can't help but laugh because some good friends of mine keep a handful of 'pet' spiders in their basement. They don't give the little guys names but they watch the spiders build up their larders in the basement windows and fill them with all sorts of wriggly goodies. It keeps the bugs down in the basement.

A funny story was when one of these friends was cleaning up his workspace in the basement. He had a lot of saw dust on the tabletop, and when he blew on it to blow it to the floor, suddenly the sawdust began walking in a hundred different directions! They were all tiny baby spiders, barely bigger than specks of dust, newly hatched and ready to face the world and consume all the awful bugs that plague our basements!

The pharma industry must be following the wandering spider.

Edit: They have been there already:

Bad news darling, I've been bitten by a spider and only have four hours to live!!!!!

But on the positive side, it was a Brazilian Wandering Spider.

Spider Man is a story about a teenage boy who one day develops the skill to shoot a white sticky substance from his body with a little bit of wrist action.

My father got bitten by a black widow and refused to get treated. He had fun showing everyone how his wound was progressing / spreading for months. But he did get his full mobility back.

So I guess there's your fun fact, even an untreated spider bite isn't always a death sentence. Also it's very very obvious and takes a while to develop, I've not heard of anyone dying on the spot.

Now I need to look at pictures of kittens to scrub these disgusting memories from my head...

I'm really scared of spiders and it's annoying. Where I live, there are no really dangerous spiders. I'm an adult, I should be able to approach a scared little animal without losing it.

Are there people on here who like spiders, maybe even whose special interest they are, and who can tell me funny, cute fun-facts about spiders, so I hopefully start to find them cute and interesting, rather than alien-like and terrifying?

I really appreciate it! But please no photos
When I was a little boy I had a terror of spiders. When I was maybe 5 or thereabouts, I saw an episode of Ben Casey or something similar where a little boy got bitten by a black widow spider and almost died. Then I remember seeing the 60s monster movie Tarantula. I was thoroughly traumatized. I also had a large spider crawl across my face while I was asleep and that freaked me out.

People have an instinctive fear of snakes. This has been well documented. There is also possibly an instinctive fear of spiders. This is less well documented.

There was a common house spider next to a hose valve in the basement, and I was so frightened that I could not bring myself close enough to kill it, let alone turn on the water.

As I got a little older, this fear became a burden as I lived in an old rural house, and everywhere one went, inside or out, there were spiders. I also understood they were beneficial and that I'd never seen a dangerous one in my entire life. This was beyond a five-year-old's brain but started to seep into a ten year old brain. In my autistic and wanna-be Vulcan way, I decided that fearing spiders was irrational.

If I see a spider, I can instantly determine if it is dangerous. If it is dangerous, I can avoid it; rendering it not dangerous. If it is somewhere I might brush up against the web; I can kill it, also rendering it not dangerous. If I don't see it, come into contact with it, and nothing happens, it is still harmless. (Even widows do not want to bite you. You are not edible. Usually only do so if they get squished.) If I don't see it, come into contact with it, and get bit, being afraid of it did me no good. Just accept it.

Little Vulcan me reasoned away the worst of the fear. Or at least I refused to surrender to it. I learned everything I could about spiders. There was a place where trauma had been, and I replaced it with knowledge. I used that knowledge to slowly convert fear into fascination. There was still residual nervousness, so I deliberately forced myself to be near spiders. Nothing bad happened, and I grew to enjoy observing them with a magnifying glass and feeding them flies. Over time the phobia went extinct. Spider in the bathtub, and I'd let it crawl onto my hand and take it outside. (Flies get unceremoniously swatted.)

And then I moved to California and there are bloody widow spiders everywhere. Since I had already decided that being afraid served no purpose, I once again overcame my nervousness. I will kill a widow if I see it where my granddaughter might get into it, but otherwise, there's no point to it.

I draw the line at letting a medically significant spider onto my skin. And even though I know they are relatively harmless, the large fangs of a tarantula make me nervous. (If I handled a few, that would no doubt go away.) However, I have no problem taking photos from a few inches away.

My suggestion is to overcome any phobias you might have. They take away your agency. I personally believe that having one phobia makes it more likely others will enter your life. Overcoming them makes you more resilient in general. There's a kind of confidence that comes from beating a phobia. If I can do this, I can do other difficult scary things.

Fun spider fact: The Brown Widow is far less dangerous than the Black, yet the invasive species is replacing the Black in urban areas because people reflexively kill any black spider they see, giving them a survival advantage.

Fun spider fact: The Brown Recluse almost never bites anyone. One house had thousands of them, and a family lived in it for years without incident before they were discovered. Unless you have a high sensitivity, a recluse bite rarely amounts to serious damage.

Fun spider fact: Daddy longlegs (Phlocidae) are completely harmless to humans but have been known to hunt down and kill widows and other spiders in their own webs. They are my favorite spiders.

Fun spider fact: Baby spiders of web-spinning species leave the nest by ballooning. They climb to a high point, raise their abdomen, and let loose with a strand of silk; the wind catches it, and off they go. Some have been found thousands of feet in the air.

Fun spider fact: Almost all spider bites are actually staph infections. We like to blame them on spiders for some reason.

For some reason, this actually works:

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

There are lots of good spider videos on YouTube. "There are the spiders in your house" is my favorite. There is also a lot of clickbait with impossibly large spiders designed to freak out people with spider phobias.

Last edited:
My son-in-law got nailed by a widow when clearing a scrap wood pile without gloves. He's a big, strong guy, into martial arts, and he figured he'd just shake it off. He was out of work for two days and felt like crap but nothing long-term. That can happen if you grab debris without looking and don't wear gloves.

Widows are primarily neurotoxic and cause minimal tissue damage.

If you want some really cute animated spider stuff, Google "Lucas the Spider."

You can also read/watch "Charlotte's Web."

Thank you for all that very interesting info, keep it coming! It's really good :)

I'm not really scared to get bitten by a spider. My main fear is that it gets somewhere on my body and runs off to god knows where. That's why I can never pick up a spider: I'm so scared that it gets on my hand, I hate the weird feeling of it running on me, and they're so fast that I'm terrified of it just running off on me, into my clothes. Ugh... that's the worst thing

Australia has more than 1500 species of spider, most of them completely harmless and some of them much loved by most Aussies. Our absolute favourite is the Huntsman, pictured below. Completely harmless to humans even if you do aggravate one enough to bite you. And you'd have to try hard to make them do that, they're quite passive with people.

Huntsmans do make web, or silk, but not as a tool for catching prey. The reason for their name, they actively hunt, chasing things down and catching them, and in the warmer weather they're incredibly active. I had one run up me one day and launch itself from my shoulder to grab a wasp that was hovering above me. I've seen video and pictures of them catching all sorts of things including frogs and lizards and even mice.

I always put them back outside if they come in to my home, not because I don't want them around but because they can get trapped in houses and there's not enough for them to eat inside. One of the ways they use web is as a trail marker. When they come in to your house they'll leave one single strand of web trailing behind them so that they can find their way back out fast if they have to. If that strand gets broken then they have to start searching for the exit.

The only other way they use web is the female will make a pouch to keep her eggs in, something she can pick up and move if her chosen hiding place comes under threat.

These are by no means our biggest spiders either, but they're certainly up there. :)

Australian Huntsman.jpg

Last edited:
Spiders and Luck.

I think this comes from England where they have a similar spider. The Money Spider is tiny, so small that you have to look twice to see if it's an ant or a mosquito. They are lucky, but luck can be good or bad. The Money Spider crawling on to your hand means money, but which hand? We give with the right and receive with the left.

And some of them are outright just pretty, and incredibly amusing to watch. A lot of Australian wildlife hasn't been properly recorded and documented yet, we found more than another 100 species of spider just in the last 10 years. Here's one of the newer ones:

A-specimen-of-the-newly-discovered-Australian-Peacock-spider-Maratus-Bubo-shows-off-his-colour...jpg

I was scared of spiders when younger but somehow grew more tolerant. As time went on I also began to feel more that all life has value and shouldn't be harmed unnecessarily. So I thought more about spiders as living creatures much like myself, just trying to make their way in the world.

As a result I have become somewhat protective of them, even to the point I don't mind them living in the house. I don't want them in the bedroom but elsewhere is ok. Mostly we have wolf spiders in the basement'and they are sorta helpful in they keep smaller more harmful bugs out (ie fleas, ticks).

The wolf spiders can grow to great size and are very keen to stay out your way. I kind of befriended one that lived behind the washer for about 6 months. I would just say hello when doing the daily wash. He did not seem at all perturbed by me or the washing. But one day I found she had passed away. It looked like natural causes, her time was just done. I say she because she left a pretty far advanced cocoon of babies that my wife asked me to get rid of.
But I wasn't going to just put it outside where they would have little chance. So I moved it into the space between the drop ceiling and the floor above with opening to the inside house and the outside via a nearby dryer vent with gaps.

My wife would have been very mad if she found out. :D

I had a gigantic yellow garden spider living on a southern window last summer, above a wild blooming aster plant that attracts a lot of insects. She laid 3 eggs, the size of olives, around the upper part of the window and died/disappeared when we got the first frost last fall. Her eggs are still there. I look every day to see if they have hatched. I don't know if they're still viable eggs but hope so. She was my garden spider pet. :D

I've got a suggestion for you: How about going onto Youtube and looking up "pet spiders" and such? Seeing someone who is passionate about their pets talking excitedly about them while showing simple interactions and such could maybe be a bit of a help. You can learn more while seeing that they arent harmful.

Jumping spiders in particular seem to be popular.

Charlotte's Web is a good suggestion. I haven't seen it in ages but I remember it being a sweet story.

For maintaining boundries I think the 'brush off' is probably the easiest and most natural. You just do the same thing as when you get a piece of leaf or debris on your clothes. With the back of you hand a quick brush off away from your body. If it's really tiny, it's safer (for the spider) if you can get it to climb onto something, like a twig or scrap of paper and set it down.

When I was stationed in South Carolina our unit had a stretch of road we used to clean up trash on, once a year. One year I was paired off with an nature-inexperienced new guy and I warned him to stay on the mowed part next to the road and not venture into the tall weeds and brush. Sure enough a short time later I heard a weird gurgling noise behind me. Turning around I saw our Airman down in the brush his eyes huge, arms stretched out wide staring in horror at a huge bright yellow and black spider sitting squarely on his chest. 'Wha, what do I do!' he pleaded in panic. "Brush it off!' I said unable not to laugh. And with a 'Ahhhaaah! he swiped it away. :D

I like the jumping spiders. They are inquisitive and gentle. But what I find amazing is that they can focus their eyes by moving their retinas.

In the field between my house and a pond it is eerie to go out at night and shine a light horizontally down low, near the ground. One can see innumerable spider eyes shining back at you; primarily wolf spiders. Creepy.

I really appreciate it! But please no photos
Fun facts? Some spiders can jump great relative distances, but the rumors about barking spiders is urban legend.

Speaking of which:

View attachment 128235

That's a drop of water on its head.

This coming from a Youtube channel made by someone who has these as pets.
The jumping spiders I see around me are the black and white striped kind. I do not mind when they will crawl around on me. They are shy but sometimes I can get them to jump onto my hand.

In the summer in late afternoon I enjoy sitting out on the porch to watch the insects around our flower garden that is in terraces down to the lower level of my house. Besides jumping spiders one insect I like seeing are hummingbird hawk moths. They hover like little hummingbirds when they go after nectar. Sometimes the grey tree frogs come to visit.

New Threads

Top Bottom