• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can we be friends?

selfhatetoselflove

I'm an Aspie. I want to have some friends who I can share the difficulties of life which nobody seems to understand. Is there anyone who lives in Boston area who wants to have a community like me? How do you guys find Aspie friends?

It is weird at times. When I see television and fictional characters who have these lifelong friends people can count on through thick and thin.

After all, from my perspective such people are just that- purely fictional. But I wonder what life might have been had I had a few people in this world of "fair-weather friends" willing to always "have my back" no matter what.

I think I'm going to have this engraved on my tombstone - I'm sure others will understand why. Have a look in your local areas for groups for people with Asperger's and autism. It'll give you a chance to meet people like you face to face. I can't help you unfortunately in that area, I live another continent. But if you want something more that talking to people over the internet then that would be a good direction to go.

I'm in Albany, NY and co-facilitate monthly support meetings of the Central New York Autism Society.

We started a Meetup group here in Albany which we decided wasn't necessary, because the same few people were always doing things anyway (although, we had enough members to attend the first meeting after only 2 weeks).

If you go to meetups.com (it's not a dating site) and type in your address, it will bring up dozens of different types of meetings and gatherings in your area. Most areas (especially Boston, I'd think) have Aspie or ASD groups. The groups meet for support and friendship, or outings, or whatever. If you can't find one, you have the option to start one (which would help with social skills, if nothing else).

I created a FB page for those who joined but weren't comfortable socializing, and we kept that page after we disbanded the meet up. We've recently opened it up to others in the area and I even have some friends (Aspies) from overseas.

There are also several Aspie groups on Facebook and you have the AANE which covers the Boston area. I get their newsletters; they have a lot of things going on.

I'm an Aspie. I want to have some friends who I can share the difficulties of life which nobody seems to understand. Is there anyone who lives in Boston area who wants to have a community like me? How do you guys find Aspie friends?
i don,t live in boston but i always like making new friends :)

New Threads

Top Bottom