• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can someone with ASD be a behaviourist?

Shaun-Junior Bishop

Ive always been interested with psychology since i was a teenager since i didnt underatand the world around me. This lead me to read hundreds of papers and articles and books about body language, micro expressions and just the rules of how the body reacts to stimuli and i wondered, i now have a better underatanding of how to read people but i still lack the intuitive response. It always have to be logical and lacks the emotion.

I just wondered, does anyone think it would be possible for someone with ASD to use their good memory and super focus to read about body language and become a professional behaviourist despite the traits of social interaction being impaired

According to my studies, about 40% of mental health professionals are actually ASD, for the very reasons you mentioned. I know I've been studying my whole life, thinking I'd be a great therapist, but since I can't function at THAT level with any consistency over time, I recently changed my strategy. That said, I consider myself a behaviorist, but I work with animals since screwing up doesn't result in my clients' suicide.

Truth be told, behaviorist or psychological profiler with law enforcement agencies is often touted as a GREAT job for Aspies. If you are thinking about pursuing that, contact your local LE office and see if you could either shadow or interview their Profiler. You'll never know if you'd be cut out for it until you see a day in their life. Have fun!

One of my friends with Aspergers is a certified peer mentor, certified not only to deal with autistic and mentally ill individuals, but drug addicts as well.

I just wondered, does anyone think it would be possible for someone with ASD to use their good memory and super focus to read about body language and become a professional behaviourist despite the traits of social interaction being impaired

I think it's very possible. (stereotypes follow ...) With the intense focus that is common among many autistics and a systematic approach to everything that others find intuitive, one could not just do it, but be excellent at it.

Do you mean the branch of psychology represented by, for example, the work of
<Impressive List follows>

I've often wondered about Oliver Sacks, too.

Yes, by all means, yes. I always loved psychology and studying people. I wanted to go into that, but chose nursing instead because I needed something that, no matter where I lived, I would be able to solely support my kids, and always have a job.

New Threads

Top Bottom