• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can some one physically hit autistic child

We can not leave autistic child alone in any circumstances that too when there is another child involved. My question is regarding only mom or dad screaming or hittin that child when child was alone

My question is regarding only mom or dad screaming or hittin that child when child was alone
But that isn't the question that most here are answering. They are are projecting their feelings about corporal punishment, generally, instead.

You need to decide that, first, before anyone can approach you with a worthwhile answer. (Or you can just PM me.)

It isn't always so simple. When a severely autistic child nearly kills his toddler sibling over silly s#!t or as collateral damage, a parent can't sit back and do nothing, regardless of the autistic child's motivation.

I fully understand that I have a very specific viewpoint, and I can only base it off my personal experience.
Gosh I don't know what I would do in that case other than try and get some (hopefully good) professional help. That's a sobering observation, that I hope is very rare. : )

As a general rule, I dont hit my children. BUT there was a time a few years back when I thought that physical discipline in moderation would be okay and might work. I spanked my son only twice, but it was a mistake. All it did was make him afraid of me, and with his exceptional memory, he held on to it and the associated feelings for a long time. His psychiatrist told me that people with ASD, especially children, are more susceptible to PTSD. So, I regret it. Nope, doesn't work. Don't hit your kids, period.

Last edited:
As a general rule, I dont hit my children. BUT there was a time a few years back when I thought that physical discipline in moderation would be okay and might work. I spanked my son only twice, but it was a mistake. All it did was make him afraid of me, and with his exceptional memory, he held on to it and the associated feelings for a long time. His psychiatrist told me that people with ASD, especially children, are more susceptible to PTSD. So, I regret it. Nope, doesn't work. Don't hit your kids, period.

Yes it was also mistake I made when one of my daughter is not concentrating but immediately I realized that way of education didnt work but later I gave her guidance after which she was doing her best. now my wife wants to teach her something out of her syllabus which shes not able to absorb.so daily fights with children screaming etc

In my country (Denmark) it's against the law to physically discipline (spank) your kids, whether they are NT or austistic.

@the_tortoise ,
if the OP doesn't reside in any of those countries, that decision still remains between him and his wife (and doesn't address the OP's specific question).

See Bandwagon...

I am aware of that, but it is still arguably relevent to the discussion.

I can see, in retrospect, why you assume I'm attempting to use social pressure to convince people that corporal punishment is wrong, but that is not what I was doing.

I just thought it was an interesting fact -- I became curious about how many countries have banned corporal punishment after AllanB posted that it is illegal in Denmark, and was simply sharing information. (I will not hide the fact that I am personally against corproral punishment, but convincing others to adopt my viewpoint was not the motivation behind posting that link -- I was just citing my source, and it just so happens that the only source I could find for the number of countries that I considered to be reliable was that one because it is the most current and it was linked to on some UN page. )

Also, I already answered his specific question by telling him what I know about the laws in the country in which he does reside (we live in the same country -- Canada). I was the first person in this thread to do so and I did not say a word about whether or not corporal punishment should or should not be allowed at all.

Last edited:
I'm sorry. I had forgotten about the Canada connection.
Hitting a child for not smiling at people would be considered child abuse in any province/territory in Canada.
So, is that true for all corporal punishment in Canada, or just when frivolous, like not smiling?

If at all times, I don't see how the OP has much say in the matter.

I'm sorry. I had forgotten about the Canada connection.

So, is that true for all corporal punishment in Canada, or just when frivolous, like not smiling?

If at all times, I don't see how the OP has much say in the matter.

No, just when it is frivolous/unreasonable or excessive. Basically, the idea is that corporal punishment is allowed so long as it does not actually harm the child.

My mom beat and verbally abused us kids. My father was a passive quiet man who just let it happen. I was in my 50s before I forgave my mother. She had severe mental illness. I will never forgive my father for letting it all happen.

Just curious about such a finite opinion of discipline: what if the child is hitting and biting you? And screaming, breaking, and throwing things. What would YOU do?

I'd think that's relative to how much self-control an individual parent may have under such circumstances. Though I'd think that a parent can subdue their child without necessarily resorting to landing blows on them. No matter how unruly they might be.

As for those who carry a badge on the job, this would seem to be a much more problematic concern. o_O

I'd think that's relative to how much self-control an individual parent may have under such circumstances. Though I'd think that a parent can subdue their child without necessarily resorting to landing blows on them. No matter how unruly they might be.

As for those who carry a badge on the job, this would seem to be a much more problematic concern. o_O

Was talking to someone who used to be a teaching assistant to difficult autistic children. She told me she would sit on the child to stop them from harming themselves and others. She told me she got her rotator cuff permanently damaged by these kids. So you tell me.

Was talking to someone who used to be a teaching assistant to difficult autistic children. She told me she would sit on the child to stop them from harming themselves and others. She told me she got her rotator cuff permanently damaged by these kids. So you tell me.
That just doesn't seem right, to sit on a child.

I agree. Besides, this woman is over 300 lbs. maybe 350 now- how much did she weigh back then??? I was thinking about all this, and know that there was no, (or is none now either) training to deal with these kids. The aides were thrown in there with them... and had to do the best they could.

I still don’t know how a person stops a child from destroying, harming when in those rages. After reading all these forums, I am running in the opposite direction at the sign of insanely out of control kids. There is no way without seeming to be caught on camera doing something wrong. And people wonder why autism gets a bad wrap? It’s those out of control mood swings or “meltdowns,” or whatever. That’s a huge one.

It isn't. In fact it's stupid. Forcing the body weight of an adult against a child using gravity is inviting potential internal injuries. The kind that will be litigated. Where a school will simply get out their checkbook rather than go to court.

Better to consult with the school and possibly through their insurer about methods they would see as being more appropriate. Or charge another person with such duties who is more likely to handle such incidents while keeping both safe and calm about it.

That's a job for who we used to call "paraprofessionals". Not teachers or their assistants. Where the limited nature of their authority and power requires more benign but effective ways of subduing unruly children, unlike some policemen who easily lose their self-control who use lethal force at the drop of a hat.

The exposure of physically unruly children will always be in the equation. However you can limit injuries to both students and educators by isolating and limiting such duties to others better trained in such situations. To have a formal protocol in place at all times, abide by it and rely on those best trained and equipped to handle it. A form of loss control that limits both injuries to children from overzealous educators, and nasty lawsuits from parents of injured children.

Autistic or not, there will always be students who push their teachers to the brink. Best to have someone else more neutral to actually "handle" the student if and when it happens. And to think there are some who want to arm teachers. Good Lord. :eek:

Last edited:
It isn't. In fact it's stupid. Forcing the body weight of an adult against a child using gravity is inviting potential internal injuries. The kind that will be litigated. Where a school will simply get out their checkbook rather than go to court.

Better to consult with the school and possibly through their insurer about methods they would see as being more appropriate. Or charge another person with such duties who is more likely to handle such incidents while keeping both safe and calm about it.

That's a job for who we used to call "paraprofessionals". Not teachers or their assistants. Where the limited nature of their authority and power requires more benign but effective ways of subduing unruly children, unlike some policemen who easily lose their self-control who use lethal force at the drop of a hat.

The exposure of physically unruly children will always be in the equation. However you can limit injuries to both students and educators by isolating and limiting such duties to others better trained in such situations. To have a formal protocol in place at all times, abide by it and rely on those best trained and equipped to handle it. A form of loss control that limits both injuries to children from overzealous educators, and nasty lawsuits from parents of injured children.

Autistic or not, there will always be students who push their teachers to the brink. Best to have someone else more neutral to actually "handle" the student if and when it happens. And to think there are some who want to arm teachers. Good Lord. :eek:

She WAS the only one assigned to work with difficult children She was more expert than anyone else in the s hood. Don’t we all realize that not so long ago, no one knew what to do with autistic kids? Schools didn’t. Teachers didn’t. Doctors didn’t. How do you suppose an organization like Autism Speaks came about??? No assistant I know has been trained in dealing with autistic children. Even today, in the Chicago public school system, aides don’t know. I know one! Kids act out, and police are called , kid gets handcuffed, and sent to jail. It was in the news last year...and the child was under 9 years old.

New Threads

Top Bottom