• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can One "Recover" From Autism?

Amy Susan Rose

Mitakuye Oyasin
I came across this this article on a FB post: 13 essential Steps For your Child’s Recovery from Autism -
My comment: If a child can "recover" from autism then he was misdiagnosed! One doesn't recover from ASD -- it's not a disease. We are neurologically wired differently than NT's and perhaps that isn't such a negative state as the general public seems to believe. Yes, many children diagnosed early can develop more verbally and socially if early intervention is done and done the right way. However, for some, they will never "recover" to the degree where they are able to live independently and adequately within the "normal" world. Stop giving false hope. Also, too many kids are now misdiagnosed; especially at an early age. It's the trendy disorder. An accurate diagnosis is usually given when a child is older because some kids just take longer to develop.
Thoughts anyone?

Autistic children grow up to be autistic adults.

We adjust. We mask ourselves as best we can. However this does not constitute any sense of "recovery".

The only "recovery" I see for people on the spectrum is when they excuse themselves from the company of others for necessary solitude and to recapture a sense of well-being.

Of course it's only a "temporary fix" until the next time we are overwhelmed from being around others. It's just part of who- and what we are.

Last edited:
I came across this this article on a FB post: 13 essential Steps For your Child’s Recovery from Autism -
My comment: If a child can "recover" from autism then he was misdiagnosed! One doesn't recover from ASD -- it's not a disease. We are neurologically wired differently than NT's and perhaps that isn't such a negative state as the general public seems to believe. Yes, many children diagnosed early can develop more verbally and socially if early intervention is done and done the right way. However, for some, they will never "recover" to the degree where they are able to live independently and adequately within the "normal" world. Stop giving false hope. Also, too many kids are now misdiagnosed; especially at an early age. It's the trendy disorder. An accurate diagnosis is usually given when a child is older because some kids just take longer to develop.
Thoughts anyone?
I got very scared when I read this: "Don’t let him slip into his own world . This is what is most damaging for the child with autism."

just like anyone else in the world, i have strengths and weaknesses
just like anyone else in the world, i'll just have to make the best of it
no recovery required
carpe diem :)

Immediately leaves a reply. (suggest people that are good at arguments do the same. Just doing it because I am brave.)

just like anyone else in the world, i have strengths and weaknesses
just like anyone else in the world, i'll just have to make the best of it
no recovery required
carpe diem :)
Oh wait. Here's who we need. A facts person. You may be super helpful here. I am INTP unfortunately. Concepts are more my thing.

@Amy Susan Rose , all too frequently, NTs mistake co-morbid cognitive deficits* for autism. That is what they are wringing their hands about.

For the record, I do not believe them to be reparable, but I do believe them to be preventable. The child will still be autistic, however, because as you say, it is due to neurological wiring.

*FYI, they and savantism may be two sides of the same coin, cognitive dysgenesis.

Last edited:
I don't believe a very young autistic child can ever fully "recover" by following these steps, but perhaps that's not the best word to use. They can improve, although some autistic children will remain low functioning and will show very slow and limited improvement no matter what. Like both my brothers I was extremely slow to develop as a very young child, especially with speech, all 3 of us were diagnosed as autistic and experts initially believed that I was likely to remain low functioning like them (even as adults my brothers can't count to 5, read or write for instance). I however suddenly started improving and unlike my brothers I learned to read, write, count and my speech also improved, I continued to improve as I got older and even into adulthood, although I have kept numerous autistic traits which will never disappear, it is still possible to learn to control them better over time however.

It's like trying to 'recover' from your brain. Last time I checked there wasn't an active brain transplant surgery.

Sure, if someone can dig inside my brain, fix the wiring to majority standards and offer extensive rehabilitation and therapy...

In the meanwhile, adaptation works just as well. Store brand can be just as good as name brand, you know?

I think we label and even mis-diagnose far too often in all sorts of different cases...

I also think this kind of thing shows how we always want to "fix" people, some things (some people) just are, many people cope with all sorts of life challenges as they live their life, many can't be "cured", they just learn to live their life regardless whatever that means to each person...

New Threads

Top Bottom