• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can autistic people feel a connection with other people that they don't know are also autistic?

I can't say that I've experienced that other than on this forum, but my whole life babies/young children and animals, even supposed attack dogs. It seems when I make eye contact with them they get calm. My mother used to point out in restaurants all the time that babies were so fascinated with me that even their parents noticed it.
Yeah that's happened to me or at least something similar has.

Also, I seem to attract gifted people... a lot of my friends are/were what one might classify as 'gifted', which is, in itself a form of neurodiversity. I find that gifted people often think in a similar way, process information and have a similar communication style to me.

Definitely. One might not know the other person is that way. It's certainly happened to me before on at least two occasions. One was a great date gone bad, another I am good friends with now.

Yes. Absolutely. I have had severe ASD children cling to me, much to their parents horror & I did not realise I was on the spectrum at the time. I just felt wonderful.

This thread has reminded me of the "Highlander" series of movies where the "aliens" who have been reborn on earth as immortals can recognise each other (feeling their presence somehow).

This is interesting. I must say that this is why I really doubt my ASDness. It is like we have some similarities outside but not inside.

Then I must think about people I feel most deeply connected with. They are socially good, funny, caring, non-pretentious, down to earth and attentive people who bring balance to my life. It is like hidden side of me that is there but not very active. You'll find it if you dig. They are not people who are utmost practical or someone who longs for a fierce romance or a knight or a business or loyalty driven people or a bread winner. Live and let live attitude with very few strings attached because they have a decency. Another way to say this is probably non stoner hippies.

OTOH I have schizotypal diagnosis as well and I can follow pretty well schizophrenic youtubers. I understand their tangents easily.

That is... connection is not about being similar.

Last edited:
I have definitely found this. I had a friend since childhood who has Asperger’s, and I knew that he had it before I knew that I did too. We get along so well, have very similar interests, and have the same social weirdness. My family has said that we are almost like the same person. Most of the time I am very introverted around others, and become drained very easily. But when I get together with this friend, I find that I gain energy, and can spend hours hanging out.

This is interesting. I must say that this is why I really doubt my ASDness. It is like we have some similarities outside but not inside.

Then I must think about people I feel most deeply connected with. They are socially good, funny, caring, non-pretentious, down to earth and attentive people who bring balance to my life. It is like hidden side of me that is there but not very active. You'll find it if you dig. They are not people who are utmost practical or someone who longs for a fierce romance or a knight or a business or loyalty driven people or a bread winner. Live and let live attitude with very few strings attached because they have a decency. Another way to say this is probably non stoner hippies.

OTOH I have schizotypal diagnosis as well and I can follow pretty well schizophrenic youtubers. I understand their tangents easily.

That is... connection is not about being similar.

I have a paranoid schizophrenic son (Wife's son from previous marriage but I am dad and their paternal parent is their father) and while we have different genetic defects we have many of the same sensory symptoms. This is why in my opinion the two problems are "opposite sides of the same coin." I am not a scientist so it is just a personal hypothesis but it does have some scientific validity to it. My daughter who is plagued with learning disabilities and I believe to be on the spectrum as well has a son with cerebral palsy yet is the best mother I know of. Before I became disabled I worked 50 to 70 hours a week so we are capable of having successful jobs and relationships. Truth is there are good and bad people in every "Insert your preferred label here" group of people and to lump everyone in that group into one category is beyond naive.

Last edited:
I have a paranoid schizophrenic son (Wife's son from previous marriage but I am dad and their paternal parent is their father) and while we have different genetic defects we have many of the same sensory symptoms. This is why in my opinion the two problems are "opposite sides of the same coin." I am not a scientist so it is just a personal hypothesis but it does have some scientific validity to it.
Interesting. I have slight organic sensory problems and I do not experience sensory overloads (more than normies maybe even less) - merely disturbances like I have had hallucinations. OTOH I was afraid of bad sensory experiences as a child because I do not like discomfort but nothing really overflows at all. It is very psychological. I just base this on my observations when people can not handle something. Like wind and heat or lack of spice. I'm just oblivious until someone psychs me up.

Last edited:
I would go for "Yes" too. It is like being member of an underground club, you somehow identify the other members.

My son who is also on the spectrum once started chatting away to another young boy in the waiting room about star wars, turned out from the mother that he was also ASD and the could never get him to hold a conversation. To be fair my son has this effect on elderly people too. I think they sense hes not a threat in the same way bullies do. For me I've always had young kids start chatting away to me.

New Threads

Top Bottom