• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can aspies be counsellors?

Dear lovely people,

Thankyou so much for the responses and encouragement. I had not seen that an aspie counsellor who has had a lot of trauma would be so needed but yes it is true and has convinced me that I want to do this.

I have been doing a lot of work on my recovery growth by doing the Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Program by Melanie Tonia Evans, which has been very helpful but I am also reading a lot on the subject and have just started another healing course.

There is loads of help online if you do not have the resources to see a psychologist.

I feel nervous because of my health problems but I could take longer to do the training and hopefully get extra help as an aspie though still waiting for diagnosis.

Level 3 which I will be able to start on can be done online. Then level 4 needs to be done at a college and takes 2 years, so it will take 3 years at the least but it will be hugely theraputic for me.

It has only been this year that the full enormity of the narcissistic abuse in my life has become clear. But I have made fast progress in the recovery despite my age. And I am fascinated by human psychology.

Thanks everyone who has responded. I get tearful when I see just how caring this forum is.
No need to cry, we're just glad to help!

Thanks. I know a woman locally who started at 60 and has her own practice now with 13 clients. I am on retirement pension so will not be depending on a wage. It would be nice yes though!
Age is not a barrier to being a counselor-in fact many people like to have an older counselor who has life experience. Counseling is an art and a science and I believe the art part comes to some very naturally (both ASD and NT). The science part can be learned. It’s sounds like you have a lot to offer others and I wish you the best!

New Threads

Top Bottom