• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can aspies be counsellors?

Mary Lyn

V.I.P Member
I am considering training as a counsellor since doing a lot of work on the 'inner child' and the abuse I have suffered particularly from being in relationship with narcissists, mother included.

The thing is that I do not know how much my ASD, undiagnosed as yet, but in the high functioning level I think, will be a handicap in dealing with, I presume, mainly neurotypicals. I know I am starting late in life (68) but feel that the training itself will be hugely beneficial in my recovery, and I will be doing it for me, focusing on that rather than having a career afterwards. That will be the icing on the cake, but still, I would like opinions on it thanks.

Last edited:
The training might be a good thing for you, personally, but realistically, your age means that there is very little chance of being employed -- as anything -- much less as a counselor. The jobs market is always focused on younger employees, and even people in their 40s and 50s can find it very difficult if, for any reason, they find themselves unemployed. That doesn't mean it's impossible, but you need to be prepared for disappointment. It's good that you're looking at it as icing on the cake.

The training might be a good thing for you, personally, but realistically, your age means that there is very little chance of being employed -- as anything -- much less as a counselor. The jobs market is always focused on younger employees, and even people in their 40s and 50s can find it very difficult if, for any reason, they find themselves unemployed. That doesn't mean it's impossible, but you need to be prepared for disappointment. It's good that you're looking at it as icing on the cake.

Thanks. I know a woman locally who started at 60 and has her own practice now with 13 clients. I am on retirement pension so will not be depending on a wage. It would be nice yes though!

@chocoholic

It would be an opportunity to learn effective ways to
talk to and listen to people. And you might discover
that you already use many of the techniques, but
didn't have conscious terminology for them.

It sounds positive, to me.

There is nothing precluding someone that is on the spectrum from doing anything in particular. Instead, it really depends on what their particular issues are. For example, if someone wanted to drive a truck for a living because they wanted as little interaction with others as possible, they could do it as long as they don't have visual spatial issues.

Thanks Mat I can cope with one on one. Not so great in a group though but am willing to learn how to do it better. Also a lot of my emotional problems are not there now since the psychcotherapy. I think all aspies could benefit from that to get rid of false beliefs about themselves from childhood.

Sounds like a great idea. A counselor specializing in helping adult children of narcissistic mothers is needed.
Good for you.
Being an Aspie might be an asset in this field.

@Sportster
I am not 100% sure either of my parents are true narcissists, but they surely usually act like that.

I certainly really want to do that, but feel like I really can't

Last edited:
I, for one, am delighted at the thought
and prospect.
I think that there are rare few among us
that haven't experienced some difficulty,
and even pain and bullying in a predominantly Neurotypical world.
Who among us hasn't thought:
"I wish they could be a little more
like me/us?"
I think it a wonderful opportunity, to be able
to decrease dependency on gut level,
destructive, emotional response(as opposed to the tolerance and equanimity of logic).
I think it an amazing possibility, to educate, and help to create a healthy
disconnect between emotion and action.

As I am certain that there are currently
many Aspies that fill similar roles, I
am fully supportive in this.
Worst case scenario, even if employment
is difficult to find, you were able to
educate yourself, learn more about people
and the world, and enjoy yourself in the
process.
I just don't see a downside, here!

I've been told by several people I'd be a great counsellor or psychologist. I am compassionate, empathetic and non judgemental.

On the other hand, I'm compassionate and empathetic. Yup, both blessings and curses. I would be unable to separate work and home because of the inability to control emotional response and would likely end up needing some type of mental health intervention myself.

Can I be your first client? There's no way I would consider going to a neurotypical counsellor who doesn't have a clue what it's really like to be an abused Aspy child of an NMD. If I had the time and the money and access to that type of training, I think it would help me very much to do what you are thinking of doing for you and the other people you could help who have the same issues you do. Perhaps you start out as a volunteer and if you like it and are good at it, move into a paid position.

I think you should go for it. I don't see autism or age as an impediment to counseling if that is what you want to do. Both of those factors might actually be beneficial to a counselor.

I will say, as an adult scapegoated child of a profoundly narcissistic father, that such a career for me would constantly dredge up bad memories and PTSD caused by my father which I try hard to forget, to compartmentalize, and to overcome. I'm also cynical because the only advice I would ever give to a victim of narcissistic, histrionic, borderline and other Cluster B personality disordered people is to RUN. Go no contract, and remove those sick people totally from your life. I could not embroil myself in the profound pain and sadness that flows from narcissists but you sound like you may be strong enough to deal with it.

Dear lovely people,

Thankyou so much for the responses and encouragement. I had not seen that an aspie counsellor who has had a lot of trauma would be so needed but yes it is true and has convinced me that I want to do this.

I have been doing a lot of work on my recovery growth by doing the Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Program by Melanie Tonia Evans, which has been very helpful but I am also reading a lot on the subject and have just started another healing course.

There is loads of help online if you do not have the resources to see a psychologist.

I feel nervous because of my health problems but I could take longer to do the training and hopefully get extra help as an aspie though still waiting for diagnosis.

Level 3 which I will be able to start on can be done online. Then level 4 needs to be done at a college and takes 2 years, so it will take 3 years at the least but it will be hugely theraputic for me.

It has only been this year that the full enormity of the narcissistic abuse in my life has become clear. But I have made fast progress in the recovery despite my age. And I am fascinated by human psychology.

Thanks everyone who has responded. I get tearful when I see just how caring this forum is.

New Threads

Top Bottom