1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cake and frosting pairings

Discussion in 'Obsessions and Interests' started by Pink Jazz, May 14, 2019.

1. Pink Jazz

Pink Jazz Well-Known Member

If specific types of cake go well with certain kinds of frosting, what would do you think:

Here are a few pairings that I like:
    • Yellow Cake - Vanilla
    • Chocolate Cake - Chocolate
    • Red Velvet Cake - Cream Cheese
    • Strawberry Cake - Cream Cheese
    • German Chocolate Cake - Coconut

What do you think?

• Like Like x 2
  2. tlc

tlc The Mackinac Bridge and U.P. is my happy place.

I always liked these:
    White cake with chocolate frosting, or white frosting with colored sprinkles.
    Yellow cake with lemon frosting.
    Chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Fino

Fino Alex V.I.P Member

Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate! :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. MeghanWithAnH

MeghanWithAnH Active Member

Mostly I think I want cake now.

All of those sound delicious, although I've never had strawberry cake, and I also enjoy yellow cake with chocolate frosting and chocolate cake with vanilla frosting. Red velvet with creme cheese frosting is probably my favorite, although German chocolate cake with coconut is also delicious.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Monachopia

Monachopia ...spiral out... keep going. V.I.P Member

What is a yellow cake? Is that a regular sponge? Cause that is good with just plain cream frosting with strawberry jam - as in a Victoria Sponge.

And you forgot carrot cake! With cream cheese of course. :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Bolletje

Bolletje Potato chip wizard V.I.P Member

I live for carrot cake with buttercream.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Monachopia

Monachopia ...spiral out... keep going. V.I.P Member

Haha it's totally my favourite cake too - shame it's one of the unhealthiest xD

• Like Like x 2
  8. Pats

Pats Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I like strawberries - but I hate strawberry flavored anything. Strawberry in the strawberry gel in a chocolate graham crust is a great combo. And the red velvet cake - there's another icing that not many use but is my favorite - it's shortening, butter, buttermilk, sugar, vanilla - I don't remember exactly and it's really hard to get it right but is the best when ya do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. GrownupGirl

GrownupGirl Tempermental Artist

One of my favorite kinds of cake is black forest cake, or Black Forest gateau. It has whipped cream instead of frosting. And cherries. I love how the different flavors and textures go so well together - the fluffy whipped cream, the tangy cherries, the rich moist dark chocolate cake...

*gurgles like Homer Simpson*:yum:

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Peter Morrison

Peter Morrison Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

It's difficult to find a bad cake/frosting combo, but I tend to avoid overly sweet (sugary) frostings. Frosting needs to have a distinct, even subtle flavor, but the dominant taste must be the flavor, not the sugar. My favorite cake is a spice cake (more like a tort) with layers of red berry jam and whipped cream. A trick I learned from Martha Stewart was to place a paper doily on the top and dust it with confectioners sugar very lightly. Then remove the paper doily, carefully. The design is beautiful. My Swedish mother made torts often. They're easy to do. No matter what you do, I don't think you can ruin any cake/frosting relationship. I agree with Fino, chocolate is king, with a big, cold glass of milk chaser.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Pink Jazz

Pink Jazz Well-Known Member

Yellow cake is your traditional vanilla cake.

As for carrot cake, I'm not much into carrot cake, even though cream cheese frosting is a traditional pairing.

• Like Like x 1