• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cake and frosting pairings

Pink Jazz

If specific types of cake go well with certain kinds of frosting, what would do you think:

Here are a few pairings that I like:
  • Yellow Cake - Vanilla
  • Chocolate Cake - Chocolate
  • Red Velvet Cake - Cream Cheese
  • Strawberry Cake - Cream Cheese
  • German Chocolate Cake - Coconut

What do you think?

I always liked these:
White cake with chocolate frosting, or white frosting with colored sprinkles.
Yellow cake with lemon frosting.
Chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting.

Mostly I think I want cake now.

All of those sound delicious, although I've never had strawberry cake, and I also enjoy yellow cake with chocolate frosting and chocolate cake with vanilla frosting. Red velvet with creme cheese frosting is probably my favorite, although German chocolate cake with coconut is also delicious.

What is a yellow cake? Is that a regular sponge? Cause that is good with just plain cream frosting with strawberry jam - as in a Victoria Sponge.

And you forgot carrot cake! With cream cheese of course. :D

I like strawberries - but I hate strawberry flavored anything. Strawberry in the strawberry gel in a chocolate graham crust is a great combo. And the red velvet cake - there's another icing that not many use but is my favorite - it's shortening, butter, buttermilk, sugar, vanilla - I don't remember exactly and it's really hard to get it right but is the best when ya do.

One of my favorite kinds of cake is black forest cake, or Black Forest gateau. It has whipped cream instead of frosting. And cherries. I love how the different flavors and textures go so well together - the fluffy whipped cream, the tangy cherries, the rich moist dark chocolate cake...

*gurgles like Homer Simpson*:yum:

It's difficult to find a bad cake/frosting combo, but I tend to avoid overly sweet (sugary) frostings. Frosting needs to have a distinct, even subtle flavor, but the dominant taste must be the flavor, not the sugar. My favorite cake is a spice cake (more like a tort) with layers of red berry jam and whipped cream. A trick I learned from Martha Stewart was to place a paper doily on the top and dust it with confectioners sugar very lightly. Then remove the paper doily, carefully. The design is beautiful. My Swedish mother made torts often. They're easy to do. No matter what you do, I don't think you can ruin any cake/frosting relationship. I agree with Fino, chocolate is king, with a big, cold glass of milk chaser.

What is a yellow cake? Is that a regular sponge? Cause that is good with just plain cream frosting with strawberry jam - as in a Victoria Sponge.

And you forgot carrot cake! With cream cheese of course. :D

Yellow cake is your traditional vanilla cake.

As for carrot cake, I'm not much into carrot cake, even though cream cheese frosting is a traditional pairing.

New Threads

Top Bottom