• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

By the Power of Science!

RavenSly

I, like many people with the Asperger's Syndrome condition, have a deep and unending interest in Science [it is my personal belief that all Aspies do on some level]. I find pretty much all forms of science greatly interesting, from Astronomy, Biology, Geology, Meteorology, Medicine, Forensics, Sociology, Psychology, Archaeology, Paleontology, and of course Engineering and all forms of Technology [I could go on and on, and I am truly trying to represent as many different varieties as I can in this list since I know how deeply passionate many of you are about these subjects, but eventually I think it would just sound too much like rambling, even to you guys].

Anywho, I thought that having a thread just to talk about Scientific topics and how having Aspergers might give one a unique perspective on them would be nice and interesting. I say that because I've found that although I haven't practiced much at actual Theoretical Physics [its pretty much all writing formulas, just like the ones you would write in High School math Classes for those of you who haven't taken a Physics class and just don't know what it is] that through nothing more than sheer logical reasoning and deep exertion of my mental power, a process Einstein coined as the "Thought Experiment," that I am able to figure out pretty much all the forces acting in any given process that a physicist might study [I've tried it with figuring out all the forces acting on the Earth as it orbits around the Sun, as well as trying to understand Evolution]. I own numerous books on scientific subjects and think about these as well as other academic subjects often.

I learned much of what I know about science from watching the History Channel as well as others, in addition to taking Science classes in School. From this, when I now watch those same kinds of programs on TV, I can easily see how basic and often misleading or outright wrong they are on the things they talk about [most people don't know this, but virtually all of the documentary channels on TV, at least here in America, are owned by News of the World, which is of course the deeply Conservative corporation headed by Rupert Murdock that owns Fox and Fox News. Because of this, shows on those channels, even though they might appear at first glance to simply be discussing scientific topics, when viewed more closely, actually contain subtle hidden messages that try to persuade people towards Christianity as well as Conservative views. This is why Christian terms are mentioned often in their shows, as are the ideals of Conservatism and Modern Christianity].

This is beside my point however, just being something I thought you guys should know [you can go onto News of the World's page on Wikipedia, scroll down to the Television Channels they own, and all of those channels will be listed, even ones you might not think they did, like Animal Planet and Discovery]. What I am trying to get at is that when I hear people talk about scientific topics, specifically the things we are planning to do in Science in the near future, I can see things in their evaluations that are missing or just completely wrong. Remember, I'm just some nobody sitting on my couch, and these guys are theoretical physicists with college degrees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mars is the fourth Planet from the Sun, and of the Seven other Planets, is the one most like Earth, and the only one that a manned base is thought to be viable on for the near future [making bases anywhere else in the Solar System would require technology that is at least a century off into the future]. Mars is around half the size of the Earth, and because of this has considerably weaker gravity. This alone presents a problem, in that the human body is designed through Evolution to live only in an environment that has the exact amount of gravity that the Earth possesses. Attempting to live in an environment with gravity that is any weaker or stronger would cause serious problems to the colonists attempting it.
View attachment 2401

This is known because of a little known fact about Astronauts. Spending extended periods of time in Outer Space is extremely hard on the human body for numerous reasons. One of these is that the microgravity causes the person's muscles to atrophy [they grow weaker and weaker until the person loses use of them completely]. This is because the daily tasks they are performing aren't giving them any exercise since the objects they are interacting with, as well as their own bodies, have little to no weight. The microgravity also causes a slow breakdown of their circulatory system, which is why humans can only spend so much time in Outer Space without risking death from Circulatory failure [your circulatory system uses gravity to know which way is up and which way is down, just in the same way as a budding seed does. It also uses it to aid in the actual pumping process, most significantly in the areas farthest from the Heart where its pumping alone isn't enough to keep the flow going]. Also, when in Outer Space, a person is exposed to high levels of radiation, even within the protection of a space shuttle or space suit, which is designed to provide as much protection as possible.

The Sun releases very high amounts of radiation from its surface constantly, being far more radioactive than any Nuclear Reactor here on Earth. The Ozone Layer in the Atmosphere of the Earth, combined with its Magnetic Field, blocks most of this radiation, and only a very small portion of it actually reaches the Earth's surface. When visiting the International Space Station however, which is outside of the Earth's Atmosphere and much of its Magnetic Field, they are exposed to considerably higher levels of Radiation, even when inside its walls. Because of this, Space Radiation has always been a problem, although studies have found no significant rise in Malignant Neoplasms among former Astronauts. One Peculiarity was that during the Apollo program, the Astronauts all reported seeing flashes of light when they closed their eyes, now believed to be reactions of rays of light from the Solar Wind with the fluid inside their eyes.
View attachment 2400

Solar Phenomena have always posed a danger to Astronauts, the most poignant example of this being a specific CME [Coronal Mass Ejection, what is commonly called a Solar Flare] that occurred in between two of the Apollo Missions, which would have killed the Astronauts if they had been exposed to it. Since a mission to Mars would take at least Six Months with the best technology we have now, the Astronauts undertaking it would be exposed to the dangers of space for a very long time. Also, although few normal people worry about this, NASA, as well as the Russian Federal Space Agency are worried that spending Six Months confined closely together will have serious effects on the minds of the Astronauts undertaking the mission [after doing a simulation test, Russia decided it wouldn't allow women on its team]. Due to all these factors wearing on the Astronauts undertaking the mission, some in the industry worry that the Astronauts who undertake the mission won't even have the strength left to do it once they actually reach Mars.

This I don't know how to solve, although I guess they could provide them with entertainment of some kind, like TV or maybe even Video Games. This is a serious consideration though, as every single Pound/Kilogram of material that is taken is extremely expensive, with each one costing an exorbitant amount of money [1 Million+]. What I do note is that since the travel time is Six Months, there is a dangerously high chance that the shuttle could be hit by a CME during transit [the longer one stays in stellar space, the higher the chance they will be hit by one. This chance goes down the farther you are from the Sun, since the danger zone of a storm can be anywhere.]. Therefore, I would think that the people designing the shuttle will have to find some way of proofing the shuttle in case it comes into contact with one, which is a tall order since as far as I know, Satellites get knocked out when they're hit by one.

Moving on, as for Mars itself, let's first name the differences between it and the Earth, differences that anyone attempting to Terraform it would have to overcome. First, like I said, it is half the size of the Earth, which essentially means that anyone wanting to permanantly live their would have to actually be genetically modified so that they could withstand Mars' weak gravity indefinitely without having their body deteriorate from the atrophying of their muscles and other body tissues.
View attachment 2404

This isn't the only problem, in fact its probably the easiest to solve [genetic engineering isn't that hard, whereas the problem I am about to discuss I see as exponentally more difficult to solve]. The main thing that someone terraforming Mars would have to change is the makeup and thickness of its atmosphere, which is currently quite thin and overwhelmingly made up of Carbon Dioxide, containing very little Nitrogen and only trace amounts of Oxygen [the coloration of the Martian Sky is the exact opposite of that on Earth, this being a result of the makeup of the compounds within it. It is red during the day due to all the Carbon Dioxyde, with a Blue Sunset due to the Nitrogen in its Atmosphere, while ours is Blue due to all the Nitrogen in our atmosphere, and Red, Orange, and Purple do to the Carbon Dioxyde and other compounds in ours]. Therefore, someone attempting to Terraform the Red Planet would have to release large amounts of Oxygen into the Atmosphere so that we could breathe. They would also have to heat it up so that we could live there as temperatures there are regularly colder than even Antarctica. It is generally agreed among the scientific community that the way to solve this problem would be to start a runaway greenhouse effect by somehow melting the Ice Caps at either or both of the Martian Poles. Large amounts of Methane as well as water are believed to be hidden under those poles, and so melting them would cause the methane to rise into the atmosphere and rapidly heat it. It has been suggested to maneuver an Asteroid or Comet into them to do this, or even for a few large nuclear reactors to be built there that could release large amounts of heat, albeit locally, to do it as well.
View attachment 2402

Still, this does not address the bigger problem, the one that caused Mars' atmosphere to be thinned, and its oceans to disappear in the first place. That being Mars' lack of a Magnetic Field like the one possessed by the Earth. It is that lack of a magnetic field that has allowed the CMEs that periodically strike it to slowly chip away at its atmosphere and evaporate its oceans, which is why it is in the state we currently see it. Anyone attempting to Terraform Mars would have to either revive the planet's magnetic field, or find some other way of stopping the Solar Flares that will periodically hit it from simply undoing all the alterations they had just spent so much time and effort attempting.

For those who don't know, Mars does not have a Magnetic Field for two reasons. First, as I have repeatedly said already, it is considerably smaller than the Earth, and its core is therefore also considerably smaller than Earth's. There is a second reason however that Mars' is now inactive. Earth's Core actually composes most of its mass, with only the very thin crust being solid. The reason for this is the Big Splash event that happened Billions of years ago, near the final stages of the Planet's creation. The Big Splash was the event in which the Proto-Earth was struck by another Planet, now called Theia [one of the Titans in Greek Mythology, known as the Wife of Hyperion, Mother of Helios, and the Goddess of Light]. That event completely liquified the planet, so that even after four billion years, the planet is still mostly molten, barely having cooled at all from the incredible heat produced by the impact. Mars however never experienced such an event, and so its core was considerably smaller to begin with, and therefore cooled much faster, eventually cooling completely. This caused it to lose its magnetic field, which in turn caused its oceans to evaporate and its atmosphere to thin.
View attachment 2403

I have thought of a couple ways that a shield against Solar Flares could be created, including an enormous satellite with some kind of actual sail shield on it that could block the charged particles from hitting the planet, as well as a team of smaller satellites armed with electromagnetic guns that when fired in unison could perhaps produce waves of electromagnetic energy that could deflect the flare away from Mars entirely. It may seem silly, but this a serious problem that anyone planning a Terraforming operation would have to deal with, as a direct hit from a Solar Flare could completely undo whatever Terraforming work was attempted on the planet.

I have many more things I'd like to talk about, even just regarding the potential Mars Mission, but I think that's enough material for now.

This is a great thread! I agree about the scientific interest being a feature of every person I know with the Asperger's Syndrome condition. The only variation is some like biological science, while others like physics and astronomy. Several others I know like computational science and pure mathematics or statistics. When these people talk amongst themselves, all the puzzle pieces compliment each other. We don't get all touchy-feely, i can go for months without talking with one of my computational bio friends, yet we always get along well and enjoy communicating about precise things which are vital for us that non-science people tend to hate. i myself am a biological science aficionado that likes evidence-based everything (medicine, management, etc.) and I like computational biology such as neuroinformatics and biomechanics. I like genomic databases and enjoy annotating genes. I have 2 science twitter accounts and a comparative biomechanics online group.

Iv always had a deep love for physical sciences. Not mathematical physics, more like the principels of simple machines. Why does this gear spin twice as fast as that one? Why does a nail become more snug in its bore the longer its in a board? Why are bigger slats weaker as rafters then then narrower slats? That kind of thing. I'm in love with the perfect career for my interests.

Thanks guys. Though Dolby, you do know that all math involves Math right? A Scientists job is to write equations and formulas that explain whatever phenomena they're studying. That's the majority of what real science is, and to be honest, I have absolutely no problem with that. Formulas are precise and show you exactly what you're talking about is and how it will react in any situation. Science Documentary shows try to make it fun for people by using a lot of amazing imagery and graphic effects, but in doing that I feel like they lose sight of what science really is. It's not some exciting movie with action and explosions going on everywhere. It's far deeper and more important than that. It is the guide for utilizing our world, our universe, and for working with, and if wanted, against it. Science is but a tool, but it has the potential to give us the power of the gods themselves. Whether we shall survive long enough to reach that point is yet to be seen, and depends much on how our leaders choose to use the power of science they currently hold. Anyway, like I said, I like all sciences, and all of them hold their respective places in my heart.

Just a chain of thought response to having read this thread:

Math as the "official" language of science serves at least two fundamental purposes. Foremost, it's a language intended to simplify and communicate complex concepts observed or imagined.

Secondly, it's a method used to support or prove presuppositions/hypothesis originally formulated by observation or imagination via concrete equations. (The problem with concrete equations are the unknowns that are never written into the equations. Every single possible environmental, time/space, molecular, macrocosmic, etc. variables would be nearly impossible to discover, include and calculate. The equations, however, are reliable often enough to be considered "laws" and are rarely ever reconsidered.)

Both uses of math are imperative for further development in science. It should be noted however that both uses of math as a language may, in fact, be translated to another language, verbal, visual, imaginary, whatever, and still be as, if not more, efficient.

New Threads

Top Bottom