• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

British Transport Police for an Aspie?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

A few years back I applied to them to be a Special Constable and was turned down, didn't even pass the paper sift.

Anyway I had another look after Googling the website, and they're not taking applications right now, but could in the future.

So anyway, after 3 failed attempts to get into the normal Police Specials, could and should I have a punt on the BTP?

Are you sure it's the right type of job for you anyway? It is almost certainly going to involve dealing with many people daily, some of whom will be aggressive and need to be dealt with "diplomatically".
People skills isn't something that comes easy to many on the spectrum (but perhaps it is a skill you possess, we are all different).

I can understand the appeal of a job enforcing "rules and regulations" but "Judge Dread" style law enforcement hasn't yet been adopted. The job undoubtedly involves lots of tact to prevent situations escalating into violence. (I've said to my wife on occasion that I would love to be a traffic warden when I see illegal parking, however I would almost certainly end up with a broken nose every day if I did, entering the police force here was impossible for me as I can't speak "Irish") .

I think you need to be honest with yourself..do you have the people skills needed for dealing with the public on a daily basis, some Aspies do, but I think they would be in the minority

Topic.

A few years back I applied to them to be a Special Constable and was turned down, didn't even pass the paper sift.

Anyway I had another look after Googling the website, and they're not taking applications right now, but could in the future.

So anyway, after 3 failed attempts to get into the normal Police Specials, could and should I have a punt on the BTP?
My ex Missus was a Sergeant in BTP. It is a very very stressful job and to be honest the unpredictability I would have thought might not be suitable for an Aspie. You don't know what you will be doing, where you will be going or who or what you will be dealing with from one minute to the next. One aspect she found particularly distressing was dealing with a "one under" which is the term the cops use to describe an incident of a person jumping in front of a train. Suicide on the railways is unfortunately a big part of the BTP work.
I'm not sure whether an Autism Diagnosis would de-bar you from becoming a police officer but may indeed be taken into consideration during the application process and medical examination.
Best of luck whatever you decide.
You could always apply to be a PCSO, that is often considered a back door into the police force .
Hope this helps

IMO being turned down without even an examination or interview should be sufficient cause not to bother with this kind of employment. When it comes to managing the public, the most basic tenets of law enforcement don't change a lot from one agency to another.

From your perspective it may appear as a very passive and routine job, but the reality is quite the opposite, where one must be prepared to exercise executive decisions in a split second under great physical and mental duress.

I'd think most anyone who works in the capacity as a transit policeman can tell you that at times their job is no different than that of a beat cop. Where maintaining good police-community relations often dictates into having to be both a diplomat and a soldier. Often at the same time.

Last edited:
Topic.

Police work requires someone to have a cool head under pressure. You're going to be in contact with people at their worst and they will seek to egg you on and try to get under your skin. I don't mean to be insulting but I don't think this type of work will be your strong suit. It certainly would not be mine. Have you thought about a security guard job? I did it for a while and it's easy, low stress work. Security guards basically do hourly tours of a facility and check for fire hazards. They also perform access control. Altogether it is not a bad gig and you can often read or use a laptop during downtimes between tours. I am not certain what the licensing requirements are in the UK. I know the big security contractor there is G4S. Maybe call someone there and see what it entails. If security in the UK is anything like it is in the US, they'll be desperate for people.

I don't think it is the right job match for you. As others have said it can be a very stressful job requiring a great deal of diplomacy and people skills.

PCSO? I would, but too many hours.

I'd lose everything.

Including the Flat.

Then I'd end up in some poky 1 Bedroom Council Flat in a rough estate in s2 or 5.

I realize that across the Autism board there are many different interests. Still not sure a police job would be of interest or applicable to us. Sorry to say this but it's my opinion. Maybe you could look into applying for a job working in a police office but not actually working as a police person.

From my point of view, as an Aspie with alexythmia the whole theory of mind thing and understanding what people are saying and not verbalising would steer me away from a role in the police.

I just apply for stuff and see if it's a good fit. But very public jobs can be taxing even if you aren't on the spectrum.

I applied to be a Special too

The entrance test is at A level standard, I stood no chance, even with the extra time they give for dylexia.

Theres also a fitness test

BTP is still the Police, drunk football fans etc they have to deal with.

Are you sure it's the right type of job for you anyway? It is almost certainly going to involve dealing with many people daily, some of whom will be aggressive and need to be dealt with "diplomatically".
People skills isn't something that comes easy to many on the spectrum (but perhaps it is a skill you possess, we are all different).

I can understand the appeal of a job enforcing "rules and regulations" but "Judge Dread" style law enforcement hasn't yet been adopted. The job undoubtedly involves lots of tact to prevent situations escalating into violence. (I've said to my wife on occasion that I would love to be a traffic warden when I see illegal parking, however I would almost certainly end up with a broken nose every day if I did, entering the police force here was impossible for me as I can't speak "Irish") .

I think you need to be honest with yourself..do you have the people skills needed for dealing with the public on a daily basis, some Aspies do, but I think they would be in the minority

...RU in Eire?

New Threads

Top Bottom