• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bringing back a species from extinction...

AGXStarseed

If you could possibly bring back a species from extinction (in other words, one that has already become extinct), which one would you bring back and why was that your choice.

In regards to how they are brought back, that's up to you.

The dodo. Because...look at it, it's totally amazing.
dodo.jpg
How? I don't care how, just get me my damn dodo back. Stat.

Laysan Rail, became extinct when rabbits were introduced to the island.

I had too many species to choose from, so I chose on survivability if its former 'problem' was removed.

rail.jpg

The moa, hunted to extinction after the Maori arrived at New Zealand. Why? Because they're taller than humans, kind of odd looking, and generally awesome.
upload_2014-11-29_17-1-45.jpeg

Woolly mammoth. Because I like elephants but mammoths come equipped with their own cosy jacket which I would feel envious of.
You could try the DNA trick. Get DNA from their bones and do something scientific involving a test tube and maybe involving something from an elephant if they're closely related enough.
But not if it would do a kind of enactment of Jurassic Park. Also maybe it should stay a theory because introducing species to places (including ex-extinct ones) could have disastrous effects like the cane toad.
But I would say a mammoth would be pretty cool to look out of the window and see marching past.

I opened this thread with the intention of suggesting the same animal! [emoji4]

Science, two dodo's please. A little fictional fact about the dodo: originally it was to be called simply the 'do', but the bird's so nice they named it twice.

Project Passenger Pigeon - Michigan

The last Passenger Pigeons in this state lived about 50 miles from me...about 130 years ago.
I think it would be wonderful to hear their call,
if it sounded anything like the pet dove we had
or even a little bit like a Mourning Dove.

100 years past: remembering the Passenger Pigeon

63363-004-B28DADD2.jpg

About Martha, the last of the passenger pigeons | @GrrlScientist | Science | The Guardian
Two videos here. Made my throat tight. Images and words that brought "Nazis" to mind.
I couldn't find a sound clip.

So many birds! I nominate the prehistoric terrorbirds. Good eatin' on those drumsticks! If they don't eat you first. I have no idea how you'd bring them back. Carefully breeding existing birds thought to be their closest relative?

My current understanding is that tigers will become extinct within my own lifetime. So I nominate the creature I think the most regal of the Big Cats.

New Threads

Top Bottom