• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Breaking News: Elon Musk admits he has Asperger's during SNL monologue

I know when I peruse Huffington Post, it seems to have a largely negative view of Musk. I'm not really sure why though.

Some years back Arianna Huffington constructively criticized Musk's work ethic, and apparently he didn't appreciate it. Equally for some time she didn't let go of the issue either. Suggesting we can all learn from his mistakes.

Maybe his shareholders didn't like it either. But then Musk had no issue with using pot either. Go figure...though I have the impression that when anyone crosses Arianna Huffington, she never lets go of it either.

Just another clash of egos most likely. :rolleyes:

Arianna Huffington Just Gave Elon Musk Some Really Good Advice That Everyone Should Follow

Elon Musk is a brilliant visionary and probably the greatest engineering genius of our age. He didn't just happen to stumble on a bag of money and make a company.

There is a gigantic gap between having an idea and bringing it to fruition. Nobody else has accomplished what he has. I believe there are people who just don't want to believe that Musk might be the smartest person on the planet, so they write it all off as lucky money.

Musk succeeded wildly because his business model was different. SpaceX is delivering where the military-industrial complex could not because he isn't afraid to fail. Failure is part of the engineering plan. Launch a rocket and it blows up. Fix the problem and launch it again. It blows up again. Rinse and repeat. One fine day it doesn't blow up and it is on to the next step.

This is an alien concept to traditional aerospace. If something doesn't work, heads roll and massive cost overruns ensue. Consequently, chances don't get taken and innovation crawls along at a snail's pace. ULA still hasn't launched a human to orbit and Blue Origin's "New Glen" rocket is still spare parts in a hangar.

^^^
This!

Agree 100%
I like him, think it was hilarious when the indestructible truck got smacked and the window smashed open. He has a sense of humor, hey, just look at the baby name and baby momma that man has to have a sense of humor right?!

Nope, not one problem with people who use their noggin to invent and create - don’t care if they are rich or not that is irrelevant to me and I do not understand why someone would hold his wealth against him?

So, if he was poor then folks would like him and his inventions better? I don’t get that kind of thinking, not at all? Not saying anyone is wrong and I’m right, I just do not get it.

I think it is good that more people are candid with their diagnosis. I think it requires courage to do so. I see it as a step on the road to be more accepted for what we are and not having to hide it in the shadows for fear of discrimination and harassment.

This particular case shows how people on the spectrum are no different then NTs in that they have strengths and weaknesses. He is a very smart and driven worker in technology and has the drive/confidence to attempt difficult things. On the down side I think he has shown an overblown ego and I am disappointed that he falls into the trap of blaming autism for bad social behavior. Social interactions not coming natural I understand, but refusing to learn or doing anything about it, to the extent you are capable, is a choice. I compare it to moving to another country and refusing to learn the local language.

Elon is Autistic, not an Aspie.

"Aspies" should just start calling themselves Autistic. Asperger's is a term that plays into high/low functioning labels, which are ableist.

I also don't like Elon Musk. He is a massive jerk. He has been corrupted by his privilege and is willing to throw other Autistics under the bus, as you can see by the way he talks.

"Aspies" should just start calling themselves Autistic. Asperger's is a term that plays into high/low functioning labels, which are ableist.

I also don't like Elon Musk. He is a massive jerk. He has been corrupted by his privilege and is willing to throw other Autistics under the bus, as you can see by his open mocking.

I am 54 year old, and no, I am not "woke" enough to get all put off by labels. I actually prefer the term "Aspie" or "Asperger's" as it is something that is more identifiable with the general public. I don't care about it's historical past,...we've all moved well beyond that. Frankly, most people outside the community don't have any idea who Dr. Asperger was or what he did,...so it isn't even a thought in their heads. "Autism" or "autistic" is such a broad term that is generally confuses people, as most people associate the term with severely affected small children,...that's what most people imagine. For me to say that I am autistic to someone outside the community,...they just cock their heads in confusion and disbelief,...then I have to go through the process of explaining.

Now, as far as Elon being a jerk, aloof, offensive,...hmmmm,...where does he get that trait from,...I wonder,...could it be his social awkwardness, lack of political correctness, and unawareness? Throw in a touch of narcissism. Oh yeah, now I remember,...he's autistic. How many people on this site have ever been misinterpreted as being socially unaware, awkward, blunt, a jerk, and said something that made others cringe? Pretty much all of us at one time or another. When he said something to the effect that he was eccentric and weird,...so what? I say this all the time,...it's my little dose of self-deprecation,...and allows others to know,..."I am aware of myself". So we can't pay attention to the namby-pamby, "woke" talking heads on Twitter that want nothing more than to knock someone off their little pedestal,...they are nothing more than the same insecure people who teased, intimidated, and bullied us in school when we were kids.

Where does Elon get his drive to push himself and his team of engineers to the point of exhaustion? Dr. Tony Attwood describing one of the traits of an Aspie,..."someone who finds things more interesting than people". Also keep in mind, he has thousands of engineers,....and I am willing to bet the ones that are doing those long hours and pushing the boundaries of engineering,...are also fellow Aspies. So, don't think he is "abusing" his employees,...they knew and know full well what they signed up for. One thing about Tesla, whether it be an isolated incident with one of their vehicles (that makes international news), or an incident at a factory,...if you are paying attention,...it happens once. There is no "trend", there is no talking point, "Well Tesla vehicles, blah, blah, blah" Instead, they send out a software patch the next week, and no more issue. They fix the situation on the factory floor immediately, and no more issue. Name me one other company that does this.

Yes, he is extremely wealthy,...and as such, likely has a narcissistic streak,....he's a billionaire. If you had that kind of money,...it's likely you would be too. However,...look at his vision for the future of humanity on Earth and on Mars. He's the person with the means to actually make it all happen. He's actually using his wealth to benefit us,...as most of his personal wealth goes back into his various companies. It is well understood that some people are not going to understand his interests and motivations, nor his social skills,...he, like us, has a form of autism. None of us need to pass some form of "purity test" in order to be accepted,...neither should he. Give the guy a break and just be happy for his success,...because if he succeeds, we all succeed.

I am 54 year old, and no, I am not "woke" enough to get all put off by labels. I actually prefer the term "Aspie" or "Asperger's" as it is something that is more identifiable with the general public. I don't care about it's historical past,...we've all moved well beyond that. Frankly, most people outside the community don't have any idea who Dr. Asperger was or what he did,...so it isn't even a thought in their heads. "Autism" or "autistic" is such a broad term that is generally confuses people, as most people associate the term with severely affected small children,...that's what most people imagine. For me to say that I am autistic to someone outside the community,...they just cock their heads in confusion and disbelief,...then I have to go through the process of explaining.

Now, as far as Elon being a jerk, aloof, offensive,...hmmmm,...where does he get that trait from,...I wonder,...could it be his social awkwardness, lack of political correctness, and unawareness? Throw in a touch of narcissism. Oh yeah, now I remember,...he's autistic. How many people on this site have ever been misinterpreted as being socially unaware, awkward, blunt, a jerk, and said something that made others cringe? Pretty much all of us at one time or another. When he said something to the effect that he was eccentric and weird,...so what? I say this all the time,...it's my little dose of self-deprecation,...and allows others to know,..."I am aware of myself". So we can't pay attention to the namby-pamby, "woke" talking heads on Twitter that want nothing more than to knock someone off their little pedestal,...they are nothing more than the same insecure people who teased, intimidated, and bullied us in school when we were kids.

Where does Elon get his drive to push himself and his team of engineers to the point of exhaustion? Dr. Tony Attwood describing one of the traits of an Aspie,..."someone who finds things more interesting than people". Also keep in mind, he has thousands of engineers,....and I am willing to bet the ones that are doing those long hours and pushing the boundaries of engineering,...are also fellow Aspies. So, don't think he is "abusing" his employees,...they knew and know full well what they signed up for. One thing about Tesla, whether it be an isolated incident with one of their vehicles (that makes international news), or an incident at a factory,...if you are paying attention,...it happens once. There is no "trend", there is no talking point, "Well Tesla vehicles, blah, blah, blah" Instead, they send out a software patch the next week, and no more issue. They fix the situation on the factory floor immediately, and no more issue. Name me one other company that does this.

Yes, he is extremely wealthy,...and as such, likely has a narcissistic streak,....he's a billionaire. If you had that kind of money,...it's likely you would be too. However,...look at his vision for the future of humanity on Earth and on Mars. He's the person with the means to actually make it all happen. He's actually using his wealth to benefit us,...as most of his personal wealth goes back into his various companies. It is well understood that some people are not going to understand his interests and motivations, nor his social skills,...he, like us, has a form of autism. None of us need to pass some form of "purity test" in order to be accepted,...neither should he. Give the guy a break and just be happy for his success,...because if he succeeds, we all succeed.
Since when has "Aspie" been more publicly identifiable? Autistic has always been more publicly identifiable.

And his Autistic behavior does not excuse him for his greed or how he treats others. I will not let such an evil buttmunch represent me. I reject him.

I also don't like Elon Musk. He is a massive jerk. He has been corrupted by his privilege and is willing to throw other Autistics under the bus, as you can see by the way he talks.

Keep in mind that although Asperger Syndrome was removed from the DSM V in the U.S., that's not the case in a lot of other countries. That's my understanding. For example, in the U.K. it's entirely appropriate and correct for people to continue to be diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome there if in fact they have Aspergers.

I guess it's a matter of perspective and personal opinion. I like to try as best I can to see someone else's side or perspective even though I don't always succeed in that; I could imagine someone with Aspergers for example argue that it's ableist to have erased the diagnosis from the DSM V and just throw everyone onto a "spectrum".

I would have been diagnosed with Aspergers had it still been a diagnosis in the DSM V but instead I was diagnosed with ASD LV 1.

Also a matter of personal opinion, if someone diagnosed with Aspergers wants to call themselves an "Aspie", more power to them AFAIK. Personally I don't refer to myself as an "Aspie" because it sounds cutesy to me and I don't like that.

"Can you hand me a nappy?" -napkin or diaper depending on where you live
"Let's have some Appsies!" - Appetizers
"I like chickie tendies!" - Chicken Tenders

"I'm an Aspie." - Aspergers

Again, just my personal opinion.

Last edited:
Since when has "Aspie" been more publicly identifiable? Autistic has always been more publicly identifiable.

And his Autistic behavior does not excuse him for his greed or how he treats others. I will not let such an evil buttmunch represent me. I reject him.
In my world, perhaps not yours, most of the people I have ever interacted with know about Asperger's,...but if I also say it's a form of autism, this is news to them, as many are not aware that Asperger's is a form of autism. I played around with different labels like autism,...most people do not think of me as autistic in their minds. Like I said in a previous post, it just conflicts with their stereotypical knowledge of what autism is.

As far as how Elon treats people, I wouldn't characterize it as evil, as this implies some intent. I think he is very focused upon his goals and at times is not thinking of how it effects the people around him. He is autistic, and like many of us can be, will focus upon things, not people. In this case we cannot infer intent with his actions. He has been known to sleep in conference rooms and routinely works for 16-18 hrs per day. He's a highly driven individual.

As far as greed, it wasn't until the past 2 years that the board of directors actually gave him a salary. On paper, he has a crazy amount of money, but most of it is still tied to his companies. He doesn't own a home. He sold off much of his material possessions. He donates millions of dollars a year. So it's not like he's a typical "fat cat" that is simply focused upon accumulation of assets, as its thrown back into his businesses.

You are welcome to have your opinion but I want to make sure it is based upon the correct information. Peace.

He dates that girl that grew up from the TV Hit “The Munsters” named Wendy. Think they just had a baby and named it after the Chinese president Xi (eleven)

This is the first time I've ever heard people being supportive of him. I didn't even know why he was famous until now. I just kept hearing he was evil, and I still don't know what he's done wrong.

TL;DR the bold bit further down this excessively long entry is my view on this. More details for the patient reader starts here:

I was genuinely impressed that he went on a live broadcast and declared that his brain works differently, he described it as Asperger's, could be HFA, or whatever, I am not too technical about the terms really.

I think this has the potential of explaining many of the news about him clearer to people on this forum, at least that was what I hoped to see but as I read through this thread I started to think I might be wrong (just like he was correcting himself to maybe not being the first host with Asperger's on the show like he initially claimed, Dan Aykroyd was).

The thing is, he didn't declare himself as the face or spokesperson of Autistic people, he admitted his condition which his good for him.

For the fine people of this forum; should we still follow the common narrative in social media and media outlets about him who looked at all the things he did and said from a neurotypical point of view or should we reframe how we perceive the feedback? Wouldn't that mean we are to accept what others have to say about your certain quirks without knowing more about your condition?

The Internet is full of mis/disinformation, do a search for "elon musk family was it wealthy", you will find website stating he was born into a upper-middle class family, others claiming his family had emerald mines or that they were poor. You choose which ones you want to believe and than build his image on that information.

He created some innovative software start ups and sold them at the right time for the right price and I can't picture him as a financial genius (or rather hope he isn't because I suck at finances and want to relate ) so whoever was around him that he could copy off about business decisions might have also given him his template for business ethics. I have no facts so this is rather speculative but I know that it is highly likely for an atypical brain to just copy off some traits from functional examples without much questioning their social impacts (what is abusive and morally bankrupt to a neuro typical brain might just be the most direct way for him).

No two person on the spectrum is the same and of course you and I would've done things differently but I also never saw myself blowing up rockets on a weekly basis to make space travel attainable without having to rely on tax money funded governmental agencies or build electric cards or an alternative payment platform for online and instore transactions (I mean PayPal not dogecoin obviously). He forced the automotive industry to change their pace on transitioning to pure electric at some initial financial loss.

He is thinking outside of the box, a trait attributable to his atypical brain which makes him an easy target for others, I'm sure many here can relate to this, I know I can....

I don't like him or hate him for how he conducts himself in life or in business but I was/am very impressed that he could let everyone know about it. He has no need to hide behind his condition or gain sympathy for doing so, or at least I think he doesn't. I personally like to see this being as a positive contribution to people on the spectrum to be seen as having a condition rather than a disease...

He did say he was the first person with Asperger's to host (or who had admitted to it).
Actually, that was Dan Ackroyd.

I like Elon and most Aspie/Autistic traits. I'm amazed that people can find the traits rude or off putting. I'm glad to know some people see Elon and other Aspie's this way because it never would have occurred to me.

We should not treat everyone the same because everyone is different. Different degrees of autistic disability call for different mitigation strategies. A label is a way to transmit information about that level of disability. It is important.

And we really have no authority in telling another person how they should label themselves. Aspergers is still a diagnosed condition in Europe and still recognized by the WHO.

The DSM-V didn't get rid of Asperger's, it was merely renamed as ASD-1 based on the amount of disability it causes.

Elon Musk is a savant. He has been blessed with a genius that humanity rarely sees. I am jealous of it. For some people, jealousy leads them to disrespect what they are jealous of. For me is just sparks admiration. Nobody is perfect and there's no requirement for Musk to be any nicer than anyone else. Einstein was NOT a nice guy. Neither was Newton. Doesn't make them less important to humanity's progress.

SpaceX has an interesting design philosophy. In most other organizations, failure is not allowed. Take NASA and SLS for example. It is progressing at a snail's pace. There was debate as to whether there was a need to test the booster at all. They tested it only because the rules for a man-rated launcher required a static fire. It glitched. And then there was an effort not to require another test because they thought they'd fixed the problem. But (correctly IMHO) NASA wouldn't waive the rule and they had to test it again. The second time it succeeded. SLS won't be ready for an actual flight for years.

Now, look at SpaceX. Slap it together as quickly as you can and test it. It blows up. Great! Find the problem and fix it. In fact, let's intentionally test the item to destruction a few times. Test again and it blows up again. Rinse and repeat. How many times has Starship blown up? How many test tanks did they blow up? Finally, SN 15 (mostly) succeeds on a 10 km hop and already he wants to get into orbit by July.

The traditional aerospace solution to a problem is to add technology to fix problems. Musk tried to remove parts to prevent problems. "The best part is no part at all."

It may be that ONLY an Aspie is capable of thinking outside the box like that. Fear of failure is a socially transmitted disease. I bet he has a high proportion of Aspies in his workforce for this to work.

That Huffington Post article isn't really constructive criticism, it is ignorant criticism. It shows a complete lack of understanding of how engineers work and think. The engineers at SpaceX are in their glory. They aren't "working" like some poor soul on an assembly line or a clerk in an office. They are doing something that gives them joy. Engineers like that can get easier work elsewhere any time they want. If I had that kind of mad skill in engineering, I'd be fighting to get hired on. (Spoken by a guy who was a low-level engineer in the Lockheed Skunkworks in the 80s-90s.)

This is a really hilarious Babylon Bee article about the Elon Musk episode of SNL:

Angry Ghost Of Chris Farley Appears To Haunt Current Saturday Night Live Cast

article-8589-1.jpg

This revelation really doesn't change my opinion of him either way whatsoever. Although I can't help but suspect Elon sensed a dip in his PR and chose to time "coming out" about his diagnosis strategically.

Regardless, anything I could say about Elon Musk and his contributions to aerospace or workplace conditions or whatever has already been articulated well enough by the posters above me. Whether or not he's a modern-day Gallileo ensuring humanity's expansion into the stars, or just some megalomaniac Bond villain with aspirations of ditching Earth and leaving us poors™️ to roast - it's just something I'm too exhausted to even think about. I do more than my fair share of "doomdreaming" as it is.

In all honesty, I'm sick of hearing about Muskie and the cult of personality surrounding him. The Joe Rogan Experience-listening crowd can continue to kiss the ground he walks over and I'll respect their right to do so. Feel free to look up to him as a pillar of the autistic community if you want. But I sure won't claim him. There are a myriad of other spectrum role models who aren't represented enough as it is.

I had just made a YouTube discussing Elon Musk being an Aspie and what my point of view is and how I am inspired with his private space agency "SpaceX" and his electric car company "Tesla".

New Threads

Top Bottom