• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Breaking a lease early in canada

Alexis C

I have a problem
A HUGE PROBLEM

I am now in Toronto studying my first year and it's almost the end

So I have decided to move out from my current place in the end of april and find a new one for the coming school year

But I'm still under the lease for 3 months more

I have decided to come back to hk for the summer so I can't be paying the rent for that 3 months

So I have to rent out my room
*technically my landlord isn't the owner of the place. he rents it to the landlord and the landlord sublet it to me. I put an ad on Craigslist, kijiji, and my university housing page.

But no one is gonna Be willing to live in that place because:

A. The place is filthy. As big as it is, the place have two cats and the roommate who own them won't clean the cat puke instantly and thus the carpet left a lot of stains on it. And the place is unsanitary to begin with because my roommate is lazy and irresponsible to cleaning and maintain the hygiene .

B. MY roommate is quiet and untidy and filthy. Her room smells and the carpet in her room is sticky. Pretty sure her room is the source of all bacteria.
Quiet is not a problem as long as she communicates. But she won't.I think she might have asperger but she doesn't believe so.

C. The place is overpriced, it's 960$ per month . The location is convenient to transportation and groceries. However,with a place that is untidy and filthy, it is way too much and honestly anyone can live in a better place than this hellhole with way cheaper price

Yet the landlord (her dad) won't lower the price and think is reasonable
*technically my roommate is my landlord because I signed my contract with her. But her dad does all the maintenance and paperwork.

D.it affects my health. The place is like a blackhole. My roommate is quiet and does gaming 24 hrs a day
And the vibe is depressing. I have never felt more depressed in my life.

My friends suggested me to just disappear, no matter this room can find a tenant or not because it's making me unhappy and the landlord is not doing his responsibility as he is obliged to do so. I didn't wanna do this at first but with the closing date and the circumstances, the idea gets a lot more appealing.

They only suggested that because her dad is very unlikely to Sue me or anything. He is disorganized and lazy.
And hiring a lawyer will probably cost more than my rent. After all, there are only 3 months left.

And he got nothing on me
No post dated cheque
No copy of my identification
He has my name and knows the university I attend to.
So he couldn't possibly be able to track me down or whatever

And according to our mutual friends, the previous tenant moved out with little notice.but they were fine with it because her boyfriend was visiting and the empty room came in handy.
Her boyfriend never paid any rent when he was staying here. The room was technically rent-free and empty for 4 months until I moved in.

I thought of doing this the legal way but I didn't give out a 60-day notice so I have already violated a term on that matter.

Moreover, I cannot prove any of her inability to maintain the healthy living environment because there's no trace that she has done that.

To be honest, I can always find the previous tenants who are friends with me and her to prove that she has a record of not doing her duty and violates some of the law like having her dad coming over weekly at odd hours and maintaining an unhealthy environment that jeopardize my health. However, there's little proof to that.

I don't know what to do... I lied to her dad that I have already bought plane tickets back to my country. And if I can't find a potential tenant, he might force me to pay for the remaining 3 months, which is CAD3000!!

To conclude, these are my options:
A. Move out anyways
B. Pay the remaining months
C. Talk to the landlord to see if an agreement can be made
D. The roommate is willing to move out early than staying in the apt for the summer. The earliest she can move is end of may. doing so will free me from the contract. So I will Only have to pay for April and may .(I have put down first and last).

Can anyone suggest anything else ???
Or is there something that can be done?

Any advice or suggestion is much appreciated!!

Last edited:
If Ontario still does first and last month rent then you only have two months to pay as you already paid the last month rent. I unsure what to advise. When I left my apartment in Toronto I owed $1200 in rent. My income level was not good so I told them each month I pay a small monthly payment until paid in full.

Maybe someone at your school can offer legal advice. If you have a friend, get them to speak to the tenancy board for advice but don't have them use your name.

New Threads

Top Bottom