• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Breakfast at Panera

wanderer03

So I'm sitting here at a Panera café and listening to the superficial conversations of the neurotypicals surrounding me and suddenly I don't feel so bad being Autistic. I realize that I have so much more depth to my character than just discussing the latest consumerist trends or get rich quick pyramid schemes. I'd rather slit my wrists than live in such superficiality. Life is so rich and deep, why live in the shallow end?

Today, I feel pretty good about who I am. Of course, this could all change come the afternoon but for now I'll take it. I'm off work today due to my new schedule which runs Tuesday through Saturday. Ah, a rare Monday off.

I agree. Superficial conversations about the weather, sports, fashion, celebrities, gossip, and whatever else people usually talk about do nothing for me. Boring. Though I do have a knack of turning a mundane discussion about weather into a more in-depth dicussion as to how the global climate might be changing due to the emission of greenhouse gases, for example, or how last year's volcano eruption on another part of the planet can affect the global climate, now and historically, which then goes on to a discussion about supervolcanoes and the likelihood of Yellowstone Park erupting in the near future... things I find interesting, but not your usual smalltalk conversation.

So I'm sitting here at a Panera café and listening to the superficial conversations of the neurotypicals surrounding me and suddenly I don't feel so bad being Autistic. I realize that I have so much more depth to my character than just discussing the latest consumerist trends or get rich quick pyramid schemes. I'd rather slit my wrists than live in such superficiality. Life is so rich and deep, why live in the shallow end?

Today, I feel pretty good about who I am. Of course, this could all change come the afternoon but for now I'll take it. I'm off work today due to my new schedule which runs Tuesday through Saturday. Ah, a rare Monday off.

I know that this wasn't the reason for your post, but tell me about Panera. Here in Idaho, we are considered backwoods by the rest of the country. However, we are getting a Panera, it's set to open in couple of weeks. I'm a big sandwich guy and I'm looking forward to it. Back to your post. You should feel good about being autistic, it's your superpower.

tell me about Panera

LOVE Panera. They have an Asiago roast beef sandwich that is amazing. Good soups, too.

so much more depth to my character than just discussing the latest consumerist trends or get rich quick pyramid schemes. I'd rather slit my wrists than live in such superficiality. Life is so rich and deep, why live in the shallow end

A lot of this has to do with personality type, too. There are people out there who aren't aspies but do greatly prefer deep, authentic conversation.

A lot of this has to do with personality type, too. There are people out there who aren't aspies but do greatly prefer deep, authentic conversation.

True. My partner is one of them, and that was one of the things that attracted me to him. Though, unlike me, he's adept at both smalltalk and deep, thought-provoking conversations.

Thanks for this, DogwoodTree :) I'm NT and feel similarly about many topics that other people like to go on and on about. I actually let many friendships fall apart in the past year because, any time I brought up anything remotely serious or concerning the world (not just my "friends'" own little bubbles), they'd mock me for doing my "smart thing." o_O

It's no wonder that my colleagues (fellow academics) have become my favorite humans on this planet. I can't get through a single conversation with them without learning a lot, a lot of things along the way.

I'm NT and feel similarly about many topics that other people like to go on and on about.

Your statement seems to be consistent with your ENFJ type. It seems to me that NTs (iNtuitive Thinkers) and NFs (iNtuitive Feelers) often prefer the deeper conversational topics, although I know an ESTJ who also is a very deep thinker (and a couple of other ESTJs who think they are!).

Hm...my thoughts: that's a very annoying kind of person to me...someone who thinks they're a deep thinker, and says they want to talk about stuff like that, but really they have no clue what they're talking about. One of those ESTJs I mentioned just regurgitates information...sometimes almost word-for-word...as if it's her own thoughts and insights. Then people around us who aren't deep thinkers are amazed at her comments without realizing that she's not processed the ideas on her own at all. It's like the difference between eating meat...swallowing it...digesting it...using it to create your own actions and energy...vs slobbering all over the meat...maybe chewing it some...and spitting it back out.

Up in my neck of the woods, they call someone whom pretends to be a deep thinker a pseudo intellectual.

From my observations, people like to talk about school, jobs, and medical issues. Usually whenever anyone talks to me it's to ask me what grade I'm in, only to be disappointed when they find out I'm not in school at all. As if that's all there is to talk about with a young person. Never mind that I'm a creative person with interesting thoughts and ideas, and I've been through a ton of crazy things during the past few years, thus have some pretty interesting stories to tell. Meh. Guess my not being in school cancels those things out. :p
It's kind of frustrating to feel like people define other people and their level of interestingness by my education level alone, but it's also a good filter to find out who's really worthy of my friendship - differentiate between who's actually interested in friendship and who just wants temporary small talk to pass time or something. A friend should like you for who you are as a person, not just for being a student, employee or patient.
I did get a job last month, but I didn't mention it to any church people, because although I knew my popularity would skyrocket (for a short while) if they found out, it would only be because I'm employed, not because I'm considered an interesting person.

Last edited:
Unfortunately we live in a culture of a meritocracy where degrees, awards, and recognition matter. Have you ever noticed how many incompetent, buffoons we have for politicians that come from fancy schools like Harvard and Yale? Makes me sick ....

I cringe at smalltalk, :eek: get overwhelmed by social blah-blah:fearscream:, but I believe people are not truly doing this for information's sake, yet rather to elicit a companionable stream of chi flow (prana) connection between them. I actually think it relaxes them and makes them open up to interpersonal connections, and there's an energy flow enhancing connectedness through this smalltalk activity. Eye contact enhances the level of connection further, as does the mysterious "answering" social script of
"Ah.... uh-huh... yeah... uh-huh..."

Autistics perhaps seem to bond through other methods, such as the pleasant comfort of side-by-side shared activities, gabbing happily about projects or special interests, shared laughter, or just quiet time kindly sharing our auras in the same serene space together.

OMG I love the noms at Panera! :smile:

Panera could be a great environment for bonding, given the right environment. My local one is in a fiercely competitive, business centric environment. I like going there late in the evenings when the business types go home. The business lingo being thrown about is sometimes enough to make me nauseas.

Later in the evenings, the artistic types arrive and it's lots of fun. Food is good too. Love the Jalapeño Cheddar Bagel.

Up in my neck of the woods, they call someone whom pretends to be a deep thinker a pseudo intellectual.

I guess we're all pseudo intellectuals in the sense that there's always someone smarter. ;) The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.

And I think that I thought pseudo intellectuals were people who talk about deeper things for the purpose of appearing intellectual, not because the topics themselves really fascinated them. So...my understanding (as inaccurate as it might be) was that a pseudo intellectual could actually be pretty smart, but it wasn't from an organic interest in the ideas...more from the need to impress people...which I guess is somewhat the same motivation, just with different results.

Oh you're quite correct. Its the appearance of being intelligent and a very unconvincing performance to those more learned.

So I'm sitting here at a Panera café and listening to the superficial conversations of the neurotypicals surrounding me and suddenly I don't feel so bad being Autistic... I feel pretty good about who I am. Of course, this could all change come the afternoon but for now I'll take it. I'm off work today due to my new schedule which runs Tuesday through Saturday. Ah, a rare Monday off.

Why let go of this mood? Ever since I had my self diagnosis confirmed, this is how have always felt.

Yes I am socially awkward if I have to socialize outside a workplace setting or if a conversation goes beyond the parameters of a script. My clothing always feels like it's chafing me and I hate it when people try to force eye contact on me. As a teacher I take comfort from the structure that my schedule and lesson plans bring and I am always secretly annoyed when we go on assembly schedule or have a fire drill.

And yet I am thankful to know why I am the way I am. For YEARS I was depressed and even suicidal because of the challenges I faced in making friends and retaining them. I could not understand how other people seemed to effortlessly have busy social lives while I struggled with this and secretly hated having to socialize.

So now I know that none of these failings are my fault because that's just the way I am ... and by accepting my autism and embracing it, I have ended my depression because I am no longer fighting against my nature.

Life is so much easier when you can work from your strengths while working around your weaknesses.

It helps that I am a reclusive introvert and that I don't care to socialize outside of work. It also helps that I found a career that aligns with my obsessive interests.

never-saw-coming-newspaper-ipad-oldtimer-fly-teenager-demotivational-posters-1389434085.jpg

I know that this wasn't the reason for your post, but tell me about Panera. Here in Idaho, we are considered backwoods by the rest of the country. However, we are getting a Panera, it's set to open in couple of weeks. I'm a big sandwich guy and I'm looking forward to it. Back to your post. You should feel good about being autistic, it's your superpower.
In my opinion, their food isn't really too of great a quality. But I'm picky when it comes to food.

In my opinion, their food isn't really too of great a quality. But I'm picky when it comes to food.

I almost said this but held off thinking that perhaps I was being too judgmental as a chef.

Their souffles are over cooked and they taste like they have a bit of flour baked into them. Their breakfast sandwiches are not particularly flavorful. I would actually prefer a McDonald's breakfast sandwich to one at Paneras and if I had a choice of restaurants, I'd rather go to Denny's. Denny's offers a chicken fried steak with eggs, home fried potatoes, and toast. I always get whole wheat toast and fried eggs ... and if you ask nicely, they'll deep fry the potatoes so that they're crispy instead of cooking them on the flattop. I also order a side of crispy bacon ... and OJ ... I must have orange juice with this breakfast.

I almost said this but held off thinking that perhaps I was being too judgmental as a chef.

Their souffles are over cooked and they taste like they have a bit of flour baked into them. Their breakfast sandwiches are not particularly flavorful. I would actually prefer a McDonald's breakfast sandwich to one at Paneras and if I had a choice of restaurants, I'd rather go to Denny's. Denny's offers a chicken fried steak with eggs, home fried potatoes, and toast. I always get whole wheat toast and fried eggs ... and if you ask nicely, they'll deep fry the potatoes so that they're crispy instead of cooking them on the flattop. I also order a side of crispy bacon ... and OJ ... I must have orange juice with this breakfast.
Yeah, I feel like the ideas behind the varieties of foods at Panera's are good; it's the execution that fails.

Yeah, I feel like the ideas behind the varieties of foods at Panera's are good; it's the execution that fails.

Agreed. It's like they're trying too hard. They offer what appears to be an upscale low calorie menu ... bacon and eggs with cheese on an asiago cheese bagel ... a spinach and artichoke souffle ... a berries and granola parfait (served over fresh yogurt) ... and they're clearly appealing to a specific demographic which does not apparently include either of us because I can't find anything on their menu that remotely appeals to me. The only reason I know about them is because at my last school, our school admin would buy breakfasts for the teachers once a month and the breakfast was always from Panera Bread ... so I'm familiar with their entire breakfast menu because our building admin ordered EVERYTHING.

wanderer03 must like it since he was there for breakfast ... unless this was a first time for him.

I'll take a simple breakfast sandwich any day ... scrambled eggs, sausage patty, and cheese on a toasted English muffin ... or a breakfast burrito stuffed with hash brown potatoes, scrambled eggs, a bit of chorizo, and some salsa and cheese.

And darn it ... I never eat breakfast on the weekends but now I have a hankering for a Denny's style breakfast which I'll just make myself ... chicken fried steak (I have a box of these in one of my freezers), home fried potatoes, whole wheat toast, 2 fried eggs, and a side of crispy bacon. I don't eat a lot of bacon but have 5 pounds in a freezer. I buy my bacon from Sam's club and it comes in a case ... so I repack it ... pulling each slice apart and laying the strips side by side on a half sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Once the parchment paper is covered with bacon, I put another sheet on top and repeat this layering process until the bacon has been used up. I then put plastic wrap over the pan and freeze it. Whenever I need bacon ... always just two strips ... I simply take the bacon off the parchment paper and pan fry it.

AWAY TO BREAKFAST!

New Threads

Top Bottom