• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Botany?

i'm interested specifically to try and help prevent extinction of wild species and extinction of pollinators

Yeah I plan on getting a bee hotel. Not much, but every little bit helps. Although I'm probably going to get some anti bee plants around the house.

Is that what they're called? Bee hotels? Because now I can't stop imagining bees politely checking in at a desk, bags in hand. :eek:

Last edited:
I just bought a golden beets at the store, l was truly amazed how pretty and how great it tasted.

Bee hotels are places for solitary bees to make their nests. These bees live alone, not in hives. They do not make honey. Solitary bees are much less likely to sting than honeybees because they aren’t defending a hive.

"Solitary bees lay their eggs in small holes. You can tell bees are using your hotel when they make a mud “door” to cover the entrance hole. This means a female bee has laid an egg inside. After the bee hatches, it will eat a supply of pollen until it is ready to break through the mud and fly away."

Is there any way to gauge the happiness/contentedness/satisfaction of a bee?

I have been studying herbalism amateurly for about 20 years now. We get most of our food and medicine from the nearby plants.

I love botany.

Yeah I plan on getting a bee hotel. Not much, but every little bit helps. Although I'm probably going to get some anti bee plants around the house.

The bees returned after the weather warmed up. There's one in the front yard and one in the backyard. ;)

I'm thinking about putting a hive in one of the pastures to increase the bee population. We have secondary pollinators here - small bees, bumblebees, wasp-like insects, etc. Too bad mosquitoes are not pollinators as we have plenty of those.

I love plants and have done a few botany subjects at university. I enjoy classification of both plants and animals.

15582458572401139240896.jpg

These are some of our pretties.:) My guy is the main botany person, but I am getting into it with him. Most of these are phalaenopsis orchids, except the bright pink flowered plant is a zygos cactus and the weird spikey yellow one is a Odont' cross orchid. I think they are all VERY beautiful and they make me HAPPY.:)

Attachments

• 1558246178775-76664288.jpg
    1558246178775-76664288.jpg
    614.2 KB · Views: 0
I love plants and have done a few botany subjects at university. I enjoy classification of both plants and animals.

Are the university classes worth it? I thought about just buying the books. I would get free tuition since I'm a veteran. Although I have PTSD so classes could be difficult.

Are the university classes worth it? I thought about just buying the books. I would get free tuition since I'm a veteran. Although I have PTSD so classes could be difficult.
Books are very useful but there are some identification techniques that would be useful to learn from someone. There is a lot of hands on that is difficult to learn just by reading. But it all depends on what you want to focus on. For just growing plants you would probably find a shorter horticultural course better.

Botany is a serious science, and may be more detail than you bargained for. A degree in horticulture might be more appropriate to your career goals.

Botany is a serious science, and may be more detail than you bargained for. A degree in horticulture might be more appropriate to your career goals.

I grasp it, I want to learn more. I want to know every fact I can learn. I decided to go for this way over physics and astro biology.

New Threads

Top Bottom